Author Topic: possible upgrade ideas...  (Read 2478 times)

Darksurf

• View Profile
possible upgrade ideas...
« on: August 24, 2009, 08:12:43 pm »
I'm curious if anyone else out there has ideas for upgrades to hal or AI in general.

Personally, I find the random response issue annoying.  If Hal doesn't know the answer or doesn't understand, why can't they make him say "I don't understand, please elaborate"  or something like that?  This is the perfect chance to allow hal's brain to grow "naturally".  Like any human, when something isn't understood it is inquired about instead of making up random suggestions or comments.  This would also increase the power of hal's knowledge database.  He could grow more "human" so to speak.

I personally think, AI has great potential but it isn't really being reviewed in hal's case. Hal has the possibility to become far more than he is now.. I also wish there was an AI for the unix/unix-like operating systems.

I understand the msagent dependency, but why depend on something microsoft?  Why not just have a seperate team create a linux binary that has no dependency but itself? yes, time and money, but the experience growth and development of AI would grow exponentially. Linux fans would get involved and give feedback and ideas and possibly free work to see the further growth of such a idea.

if you've got any ideas or possiblities, feel free to share.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 08:35:01 pm »
I don't know if this is really true but I heard of a program called "ububu" or something like that allows Unix users to use some Microsoft files and I thought that even Hal would run under it.
You might do a search here for unix and see if it has been addressed.
Bill

Darksurf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 04:10:31 pm »
yes, the application is called Wine.  It allows usage of windows applications and tools, but this also means hal wouldn't have full capabilities of controlling the system when asked.

And any linux system can install and use wine, not necessarily just ubuntu. I wouldn't be able to use hal via voice command or even typing in the command to launch use or control my linux applications. I use sabayon linux and wine, but wine isn't something I use frequently as most programs for windows has an opensource or closed source alternative for linux.