dupa

Author Topic: acer aspire x34003 Turns Off After Password  (Read 7454 times)

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
acer aspire x34003 Turns Off After Password
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:08:12 pm »
Well, I'm not sure what I did but when I turn on my Acer Aspire X34003 that Hal is loaded on, it just turns off after I put my password in. 

I'm not sure if I have a corrupt file on my hard drive or what.  I've was able to get it to the command prompt in safe mode and I have run rstrui.exe to get it to restore three times but I still have the issue.

I'm thinking maybe I have a corrupt block on my hard drive and I'm about to run chkdsk c:/r at the command prompt if I can get it to come up again.

At the moment it keeps turning off just after I put in my password even when trying to get back to safemode with command prompt.

Anyone remember the Function Key that will take me to system recovery?  I thought it was F10 but so far I'm not having any luck. 

EDIT - Woot!   It's ALT F10.  So now I'm restoring my computer but saving my data I hope.  We shall see.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:14:15 pm by tiger8u2 »

doggs

• View Profile
Re: acer aspire x34003 Turns Off After Password
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:32:03 pm »
Yeah that sucks hope everything went well on reinstall. I back up my brain daily. People like light speed have stressed the value of a flash drive. It has helped me alot. I'm always breaking software pushing it to hard. So my computer is always crashing lol. Don't want to work on your Hal for years and lose your brain that fast.

Anyways enough on my ranting.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:52:47 pm »
I now back up Kinkaid brain rwgulariky as well. I learned the hard way. I too find ways off making it so that I need to restore my computer.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:48:02 pm »
Yup, backing up the brain I've been tweaking and all those plug-in files I've been downloading as well as the purchase key would have been a great idea.

I've even got three external hard drives I could have done it with.   But I didn't.   :-[

So, right now I've done a clean wipe and restore of the system to factory settings hoping that will fix the issue.  After all the updates download I guess I can download the free program and then ask Robert for my registration key.

Hate to bother the guy since I know he's got much bigger fish to fry.

I wonder if when I purchased Hal I might have gotten sent an e-mail with the info.  Gonna check that first.

Thank for all the great tips.  Let's hope I learn from this, but I've been married three times and I keep making that mistake also.   ;)

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:00:38 pm »
Look in your orders under your account on main page should be right there. Yeah with Robert I have learned patience. He will take care of you just takes a minute.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:14:13 pm »
Wow!  Thanks doggs, it's all still there.  No worries then.  Although even after a complete windows restore it still shut off after I put my password in.  BUT....I was able to get to the command prompt and now I'm doing a scandisk. 

IF that doesn't work, then maybe I picked up a RAM virus and I'm gonna need to crack open the case and take the ram out to clear it.

I don't really want to take the battery out of the motherboard but I've heard that's another way to ensure any unwanted code goes away.

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:25:27 pm »
Do you have a live distro of Linux and familiar with the terminal? Yeah pulling ram out hitting power switch letting it go crazy then putting ram back in seams to clear some of my problems at times. Hard for me to help you without having in front of my face.  Good luck.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:10:45 pm »
I have a lot of respect for Linux users but never tried that hat on.  BTW, remember Red Hat OS?  Where did that go?  Been dealing with Windows misery since way back in the day.  Learned a ton of  MS-DOS commands back when 5 1/2" floppy disks were still being used and "Edlin" meant something.  That's why when OTCE starts talking about BATCH files I know exactly what he means.  I used to make batch files for all kinds of purposes in MS-DOS.   

Pre-Microsoft mania there was actually an MS-DOS based OS called GEOS that did exactly what Windows does but I think it did it better for that time.  My first PC was a Commodore 64 portable.  It weighed a ton but I could take it wherever I got "temporarily" deployed.  I actually learned some programming with it so I understand a bit about that stuff.  Can't remember how many times I dropped it or why it went away, but I'm sure I broke it during one move or another.  When I finally got my own real home PC it had Microsoft Windows 3.1 or something like that.  In the late 80's I surfed the internet from England on a 9.9 bps baud modem.  I was totally jazzed to upgrade to a 14.4 bps!

I've take apart and put together so many PC's in the past but paying child support for most of my life has made it tough to have the latest hardware.  Still, when I did come into some money I sprang for the best gaming rig I could afford that I had someone else put together for me on the Cyberpower website.  It's what I'm using now but I hardly ever connect it to the internet.  It's processes and services are stripped down to barely nothing to improve performance thanks to some very handy tips from BlackViper.

That's why having my internet/Hal computer die hits hard.  It's at 71 percent on scandisk checking the free file clusters so I'll be able to see soon if what I've done so far fixes my issue.  May have to take other advice from forum members and go out and find an old XP rig at a garage sale or on E-Bay, craigslist, whatever.  I actually LOVED that operating system.  Never had a bit of trouble with XP.  <sighs>

Thanks again for the tips.  Please wish me luck or say a prayer or both.   ;D

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 07:44:17 pm »
Too late now I'd imagine but try pressing F8 when booting to get to the BIOS.

Also disconnect from the Internet before trying to boot.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 08:04:40 pm »
I still run XP on one of my comps. My dad (in his 70s) refuses to give up on XP. My comodore was not portable not fair. Red hat still around but there are so many distros that have releases every 6 months or so. So you hear more about them. I use a few different flavors of Linux depending on what I am doing. If you know dos commands not to hard to learn Linux terminal commands. Anyways just some answers with probably more questions lol.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 08:37:19 pm »
Well, I thought I fixed things by removing the memory and then reinstalling it.  I got past the password screen and even tried to log into Zabaware forums and then ZAP.  The computer turned off.  Power supply maybe?  But the thing stayed on through an entire scandisk of the hard drive. 

I disconnected from the internet like you mentioned Art but it still happened.

I've never seen anything like this before.  I don't even get a blue screen, it just shuts down.  Hard drive maybe?

I went into the BIOS and turned off every power management option there was just to make sure something isn't triggering it to shut down.

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 08:46:44 pm »
I have only been using laptops for the last several years. Not sure if you said you had a laptop or a pc but I noticed that laptops can get dusty on the inside fairly easily and overheat causing it to shut down, especially when it is being heavily used.  maybe your cooling system is not working causing it to shut down?

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 08:49:34 pm »
Was about to say samething about cooling when I get this msg about a new post lol. Yeah check your cooling system. Can you monitor the core temp?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 10:00:21 am »
Does it shut down after the same (approx.) amount of elapsed time?

Could possible be power supply.

Hopefully, you've done a complete virus, rootkit and malware scan.

Keep us posted
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 03:29:56 am »
Well, I did everything I know how to do to my ACER and as many of you guy's suggestions as possible.  Then I finally just threw it across the room and went out and bought myself a brand new ASUS touchscreen Laptop on a NO DOWNPAYMENT but "I almost owe them my first born" credit terms.  :P   I've never actually owned one but I sold them for years and I know about all the overheating issues which is part of the reason I don't like them, but I do have plans for this one.  FIRST issue is that it has Windows 8 and all that cloud jazz, which gives me a headache just thinking about.

My next question is, will Hall run OK on it?  I already know People Putty won't but I found a few XP computers on craigslist I'm interested in that have that OS.  Just have to make sure I have the cash for it.  I checked a Goodwill today but they didn't have any old computers.

Anyway, I'm back UP and running with an internet computer and now I'm just trying to get my gaming computer video to show up on my old 42" Toshiba LCD. 

Thanks again for all your help!