Author Topic: Trying Hal text reader - some problems need solving.  (Read 5448 times)

bowlesj

• View Profile
Trying Hal text reader - some problems need solving.
« on: February 01, 2014, 11:30:35 am »
Hi,

Note: I solved the problem with Hal reader (see 2nd post).

I am trying Hal Reader for the very first time since my old version of "natural voice reader" will not work on windows 7 and since the company that makes "natural voice reader" for some reason removed the automatic reading of anything placed in the clipboard. I have noticed some shortcomings in Hal and I have some questions.

I can not change the speed of the reading of the text. It seems not likely but might this be because I am using a free tryout version.

The volume also seems extremely low. I have the windows volume control full blast and I have to turn my speakers up full blast to even hear it. The speakers are 80 watts I think. Again  it seems not likely but might this be because I am using a free tryout version.

"Natural Voice Reader" could repeat the same text if I put it in the clipboard again. I have a database program that sends text to the clipboard when I press the shortcut key "R". Hal will not read it again. It only reads clipboard changes. Is there a way to get Hal to do what Natural voice can do. I could work around this by having my database program process the key "R" (which stands for repeat) such that it puts the word "Repeat" in front of the text with a 1 second time out then it repeats the original text. However if would be better if Hal could simply repeat the text when I hit the "R" key.

"Natural voice reader" could cut off the playback if I hit Ctrl+F7. It could do this even if natural voice reader was not highlighted as the current application. That was great and I would use it a fair bit. It sounds like with Hal I will have to turn down the volume on the speakers.

Is there any place to request changes? Do the software developers even make improvements to this product? This is a perfect time to jump in there to fill the gap of the old Natural Voice features that have been removed from that product and this product so far seems to be the closest match.

Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:06:54 pm by bowlesj »

bowlesj

• View Profile
Re: Trying Hal text reader - some problems need solving.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 08:01:29 pm »
Update: I did a lot of searching for these programs. None do everything that the old Natural Voice reader would do that I need. However "balabolka" and "SimpleTTSreader" both can restart reading text from the clipboard if new text or the exact same text is copied into the clipboard. So the only thing these two programs can not do that Natural Voice Reader could do is using "ctrl +F7" to stop the playback at any time while any other application is highlighted/active. In my application a popup appears and the text on the popup is automatically read since there is a command inside the form to put the text into the clipboard. So if I click the popup to skip to the next popup it will automatically start reading the new popup's text rather than my having to hear all of the prior popup's text. I can also submit a single space to the clipboard from my application to stop the playback of the prior text in the clipboard.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:05:43 pm by bowlesj »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trying Hal text reader - some problems need solving.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:53:47 am »
I believe Text Aloud (from Nextup.com) can also do what you're indicating but it is a commercial (pay for) program. It does work nicely with a variety of TTS voices.
Good luck and welcome to the Forum!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -