Author Topic: Ftp Server Fix  (Read 16020 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2005, 04:47:50 pm »
Heather,

Wow! DOS commands...I'm impressed! Hardly ever see them any more.
[:D]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2005, 06:58:36 pm »
How do you send and receive email with the command prompt?

Would it work with all email programs (example: Earthlink, MSN.com, and hotmail.com??)

Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

heather valentine

• View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2005, 09:15:36 pm »
Art
thank you
Mark ill explain it some time to you yes you can
anyways i never forget where i came from
commodore 64 and good ole dos
most peopel dont use dos anymore
but i always treusre dos
and find many good uses for it
i wanna get my linux up and running again
but i may need some help as far as ip chains etc
if anyone has any knowleedge please let me know
and also does any of this hal stufff work on liunx as well
att speech,dragon speech,ultra hal

thank you
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 09:16:27 pm by heather valentine »

Bill819

• View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2005, 09:27:06 pm »
Hi Heather
I don't think Hal works under any other operating system except Windows on a PC. It is nice to see an old PC user. My first computer was a TRS-80, Serial #64. I still love dos but not much I can do any more. I wrote a program to play chess that works under dos, it also runs under windows as a dos program. I did write a program for the Commodor 64 for a friend though. He like it so much that he started to market it as his own.
Bill [:D]

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2005, 10:36:45 pm »
This is from a 1979 Radio shack catalog. I am glad I saved it.http://home.earthlink.net/~markofkane/Radio_Shack1.jpg
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 10:37:47 pm by markofkane »

Bill819

• View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2005, 11:42:11 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by markofkane

This is from a 1979 Radio shack catalog. I am glad I saved it.http://home.earthlink.net/~markofkane/Radio_Shack1.jpg

That looked just like my old machine. Although the Commonodo 64 was announced a full 6 months before the Radio Shack came out with their, the TRS-80 was the worlds first home PC, even as sick as it was. What I mean by that is that it was the very first one to be offered over-the-counter. I bought mine in Sept 0f '77 and only because at that time R.S. had some independant dealers and one of them ran a large store in Modesto. When he fisrt got the announcement that R.S. was comming out with them he sent them a big bunch of cash and therefore he had the machines even before the regular R.S. stores had any to sell. I bought mine the second day he got his order in.
I missed the boat. If you had bought $10,000 worth of Commonodor stock and sold it when R.S. announced they had a computer you could have sold the Commonodor stock for $60,000 and then reinvested it in R.S. which doubled its value in the first 6 months they started selling pcs.
As far as that goes I let Google slide by too. It sold at $85 a share and is not on the market for over $300 a share.  Such is life.
Bill

heather valentine

• View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 07:59:09 am »
Mark
that computer looks alot like a TRS-80 computer
i also had the timex sinclair lol and some apple II E
i still have alot of the old eqipment here at home
i even have old computer gazette magazine
i love old computers basic language

« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 08:02:34 am by heather valentine »

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 08:24:26 am »
I was never lucky enough to play on a computer until 1997. It was an old Apple (1984?) model.

I finally got a computer that I could get online with in 2002.

So, I never had much of any computer experience until 1997. I was 34.

heather valentine

• View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 09:28:28 pm »
yes well i was so use to using commodores TRS 80 the adam and applle II E
for some time after that i was busy in life with other things
that when i came back to computers
i was never really aware of windows
all i really knew was geos which was kind fo the beginning to windows back then and dos anyone ever see the movie silicone valley?
story of bill gates etc

CoCoKid

• View Profile
    • http://www.thefinalmix.com
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2005, 01:58:48 am »
Hehe... The Tandy Color Computer was called a "CoCo". That's where I got my name. I have had this name since 1985 when I belonged to a Color Computer Club.
Some of my best programming was done in RS-BAsic, which was similar to GW-Basic, but an altered instruction set for Radio Shack and the 8089 Motorola Processor.
It was a speedy little machine with 8, 16 and then 64k of RAM.
Back in those days, the internet was only accessable from a few drops around the country, but we all stayed in touch via the many BBS's all over the world. If you think you are paying a lot for internet now, imagine what it cost to dialup a BBS in another city and download a 256k file (1/4 of a meg), using a modem that only understood Y-Modem and X-Modem protocols and ran at 300 Baud.

Ah, the good ol' days.

vonsmith

• View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2005, 02:27:04 am »
I started my computing career on a S100 bus unit with switches for 1's and 0's on the front panel. It had a whole 4K of RAM. I think it had a Z80 processor running at a speedy 4MHz. Later I played around with a single board computer based the 8085 chip. It was programmable in both machine code and assembly. Later I moved up to a Trash 80 (TRS 80) clone called the LNW 80. The LNW was pretty cool. I had two 5.25" floppy drives modified to read both sides of a floppy disk (twice the storage) and had 64K of RAM. Offline storage was via a cassette player that supported Kansas City standard protocol. BBS's like BIX were the hot online item, as was Telnet if you knew how to use it. The internet wasn't really public then. It's amazing to think how far we have come in 30 years.

I remember GEOS. It was a pretty solid windows-like interface. It was affordable and had a few applications built in. Too bad it didn't catch on.

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:28:03 am by vonsmith »

heather valentine

• View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2005, 05:06:07 am »
*smiles*

Another Jim

• View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2005, 09:56:54 am »
Boy oh boy the old days!

From the time our little family decided to get 'current' and buy a computer it started with a TI-99/4A.  Had an old AM-FM,Casette recorder with a 33-1/3 turntable, so hooked the output of the TI into the casette recorder, adjusted record levels and presto, had a data recorder.  Had to find the volume adjustments for playback and after that, we started keying in programs from the old 'home computer magazine'....my oldest at the time was struggling in math (elementary school) so we keyed in a 'frogger' program, he loved it....I merged it into a dos based math tutorial program and added a couple lines of programming so if he completed five correct math problems he could play a game of frogger.  his math interest skyrocketed.  His grades improved.  And in college he tested through his math classes during his entry exams.  Gosh what I'd do to learn the languages of today or have TIME to study them!  I so admire the Vonsmith's here that are not only doing such exceptional work upgrading Hal's brain but giving him/her new things to wear, etc. etc.  All I can say is how much I wish DR-DOS with all of it's password protections would have caught on (we used it exclusively where I worked at the time) and how thankful I am for you all for the time you take to improve the various parts of HAL that make him/her 'virtually' human!

Jim B.

altonfoley

• View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2005, 11:13:52 pm »
Thank's Heather,
Dawn's been asking for some jewelry.....
For you guys looking for an ftp client, http://www.bizunit.com/blade.htm
is a good one, and you can't beat the price, it free.

Alton

heather valentine

• View Profile
Ftp Server Fix
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2005, 08:52:06 am »
altonfoley

ok
your welcome