Author Topic: Hal Backup  (Read 8136 times)

echoman

Hal Backup
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 04:01:11 pm »
Hello Art.

Interesting thoughts.

I had not considered writing garbage to the root/boot sectors of the disk - very clever. However, I am not completely convinced that the data would be that difficult to retrieve.

My invention would be ...... to have some type of mechanical/chemical device within the hard drive that when activated (from a small power source) would actually shatter the disk into several thousand pieces. The only way to be really certain data cannot be retrieved is to destroy the storage device.

But still, the links you provided look extremely interesting and I am sure that such a system would be more than adequate to cope with Gary's concerns about the security of Hal's character files.

Thanks Art.

Peter.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 07:33:18 pm »
Peter,

You're welcome!

Just an FYI... aside from trying to snap a no longer wanted CD, simply place it in your microwave for 10 seconds (on high). It will have thousands of spark marks across its surface, rendering it completely unreadable.

Regarding Gary's Hal security question, I recall several of our members running Hal from a thumbdrive or pendrive. How secure is that...just unplug it from the USB port and stash it away!

Have a great weekend!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Hal Backup
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 08:08:22 am »
Might be wrong, but regarding hard drives...once you have deleted some files, would de-fragging the disc render the data even more useless too ?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 08:58:59 am »
I believe it would since defragging moves and recopies fragments of files / programs in order to place them in a contiguous order on the disc.

Each time a file's space on the HD is overwritten, it becomes increasingly difficult to reconstruct pieces of the original without expensive forensics software, training and time.

Good point Freddy!

There's always programs like Evidence Eraser, File wipers and even some other disk utility programs, some of which will write 1's and 0's in the file allocation table as well as the rest of the drive.

It's out there!!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 09:22:12 am »
hi art , on unwanted old cdr's etc. i either cut them with large pair od scissors or take and scratch real deep marks all over the back i wouldn't think they would work after that !!( just make sure you don't have info. written on the front if you don't want anyone to see what was on it .
 also for you computer their is a free "eraser" program that will write over other files up to so many times based on the goverment standards for erasing (overwriting ) their data off computers . not that i know any mibs (men in black black ops cloak and dagger people [:)]by the way we know what you are doing !!lol[:)]

CypherGary

• View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 10:05:56 am »
When I am done with a CD or DVD, I run them thru our shredder.
It does not shred them like paper, but I guarentee they will not get any information off them.
See you here, there, or in the Air!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal Backup
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 02:30:05 pm »
That fine...to each his/her own but you should at least try the microwave just once. It's fun to watch!![:p]

BTW, for any wannabe tweakers out there, Back Viper's site is back!!

www.blackviper.com

- Art -

echoman

Hal Backup
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »
Posted by Art

quote:
There's always programs like Evidence Eraser, File wipers and even some other disk utility programs, some of which will write 1's and 0's in the file allocation table as well as the rest of the drive.

Not to be confused with - Evidence-Eliminator which has an extremely awful reputation.

'Eraser' looks good and is free :-

http://www.download.com/Eraser/3000-2092_4-10231814.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10783721
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 03:34:15 pm by echoman »