Author Topic: Help 4 Noob  (Read 5428 times)

jqspenthouse

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« on: March 07, 2009, 06:22:28 pm »
I purchased hal 6.2. I'm waiting for disc, but I downloaded from site. I worked in the brain all day... closed it out, then opened the program up to see an error message:

error 430:
class does not support automation or does not support expected interface occured at line 3
in ultra hal assistant: FrmAss.LoadSR

Also it stops talking after a while, and does not make sense. I only messed with basic things in the brain, cause I'm a noob, so I did nothing to cause this error myself.

I know I'll have to load the disc when it arrives. Should I uninstall hal all together before loading the disc?
PLEASE HELP.

jqspenthouse

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 06:30:46 pm »
Btw, this is not the first time I had hal. I had the demo version which I somehow could have kept forever, but it got deleted. Just saying that I've been in the brain, and had a hal working correctly for a long while. I know what not to mess with. Though I can see that I'm still considered a noob when I look around this form.

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 07:08:55 pm »
Do get this message all the time you open Hal?

If you do, unistall Hal and re-down load it.  But befor you uninstall it open Hal and deactivate the licence so you can reinstall it.
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

Bill819

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 07:56:41 pm »
Hi jqspenthouse
What did you use to edit and modify Hals brain? Notepad by MS sometimes inserts hidden characters that will definately mess up Hal.
I always use Wordpad when editing.
Second and not to be condemming you but what ever you did to Hals brain caused the error whether or not you want to admit it. It never makes changes to itself by itself.
Third: You never do anything to Hal's brain without first backing up the Brain files for just the reason that just happened.
Forth: It is always advisable to make only one change to Hal at a time in that way if an error occurs then you know exactly where to look for the goof up.
I have been using Hal for about 7 years now and as confident as I am in using and modifing Hals brain I still use the above technique.
Bill819

jqspenthouse

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 04:26:07 am »
Yes darcy, all the time.

Bill...that sounds like sensible steps to take. Like I said, I'm a noob, so yes I probably screwed it up. When I went in Hals brain, I just opened a new project. Everything's right there. I change words here and there. I used to do it all the time and had no problems.  I'll deactivate the license #, uninstall, then reinstall.

Thanks... I'll be back to let everyone know how it went.

jqspenthouse

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:36:55 pm »
Thanks again for all your help. I have Hal up and running. I just downloaded Microsoft Speech Engine. The mic tested fine, but it is not working. What am I missing here? I had Hal demo for around 7 years myself, and I'm tired of typing. Any troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

I also went to Desktop Mates. That's where I got the speech engine. I figured I can't go wrong with Microsoft. I also downloaded the "Dawn Voice", but don't know how to put it in Hal.

[?]

Bill819

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:57:49 pm »
Somewhere in the Hal menu you will find Speach Training. It gives you a bunch of stuff to read, but beware any background noise will cause it to not work correctly. I even had problems when my airconditioner came on with a background hiss.
You may have to go through the training program several times. The more you do it the better it gets in recognizing your voice and the way you pronounce words. Hal will turn the microphone on and off so you don't have to worry about that.
Bill

jqspenthouse

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 06:08:14 pm »
Voice training does not opened when clicked. A half second of the hourglass is all I get. Uh oh, it won't open. See? From one problem to another. This program tests my "computer patience". Why won't it open?

Bill819

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 10:38:22 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by jqspenthouse

Voice training does not opened when clicked. A half second of the hourglass is all I get. Uh oh, it won't open. See? From one problem to another. This program tests my "computer patience". Why won't it open?

Are you using a paid for version. Voice training only works with a paid version, otherwise you might be missing some files.
Bill

Bill819

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 10:40:31 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

quote:
Originally posted by jqspenthouse

Are you using a paid for version. Voice training only works with paid version, otherwise you might be missing some files. Oops I just noticed that you send for a paid version. when it arrives and you set the password all should be well.
Bill

jqspenthouse

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 01:35:28 am »
Oh please don't tell me I have to load it again. I worked on the brain. Btw, I do not know how to backup the brain, and I could only work on the brain in the "default brain", unless I wanna work wth that stupid little question and answer thing. I went into the default brain without making a backup, but everything went well with that. I just wanna get this "talk to Hal" thing going. If I have to load the disc, can I keep this brain that I worked on abundantly?

Awaiting good news.

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
Help 4 Noob
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 01:49:09 am »
jqspenthouse,

if you have to reload from disk; Rename the brain to something else the load from disk, delete the brain then rename the new named brain back to what it was.

If I was you, I wouldn't play with the brain editor until you have a beter idea of what you are doing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:15:21 am by DarcyEdwards »
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com