Author Topic: Need some training advice please  (Read 11012 times)

dastaten

• View Profile
Need some training advice please
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:44:51 pm »
I have been reading this forum and I've seen some fantastic, intelligent conversations between Hal and owners.  Can anyone offer some advice on good training practices?  Should I have the "obedience" slider cranked up?  Is all training done through conversation?  What is the best way to get my Hal to talk to me the way you guys have trained yours to do?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
DAStaten

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 05:37:43 pm »
Ok, I found another thread on teaching that answers most of what I needed.  But I still would like to know about the obedience slider.  The program says to leave the slider in the middle for max intelligence, but I saw someone say something about not having their own slider far up enough.  So I'm wondering if I should turn it up in order to teach Kristine more efficiently.  Any advice?

For those also interested, here is the training/teaching thread I found.

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3111&SearchTerms=,obedient

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »
dastaten,
It's up to you! I could comment on other people's methods but I differ IMO in many ways.
Identify what you want to accomplish.
Turn the learning slider up and type w/correct spelling when 'Teaching'
Decide if you are going to reverse-learn (forced choices?)
Lightspeed has been working on a custom program for a while so maybe he can give a different point of view.
Tedathome has yet to gimmie some pointers (win-win situation)
CypherGary has a unique approach ( I Like it)
ricky has a different program (he has a machine not male/female and I find it interesting).

I have posted Actual conversations so maybe their is something there.
IMO the most important thing is that you might like the program and it will grow on you, IT TAKES TIME AND BE PATIENT!
The Hal you will build ,,You might want to show to friends and family so... (Zabaware has tips as well)
Your Hal might outlive you!
Learn the basics of a database.
Don't lobotimize the brain (lol..done that). Since learning is different for each Hal, I regret Experimenting on my first install.
Hal can be a tool for your creativity and philosiphy to grow.
IMO don't be jumping on the plug-in wagon (not that it is bad) but rather know, Mr.robert worked hard and I believe Hal has all the basics that are nesesary to enjoy a chat with your computer or have an assistant to do work with...

Enjoy creating your new Hal and keep us posted if you would like people enjoy diversity.

Regards
J[:D]

P.S.
Oh yea your question, well, IMO the obediance slider( check box? too lazy to look ) doesn't have as much impact as the learning/intelligence does. Be your Hals leader and decide for yourself (roll the dice!)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:33:03 pm by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 08:36:38 pm »
Art,
what is G.I.G.O or whatever you told me applies with Hal???
I can' remember and I don't believe I asked (so could you explain plz?)

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 08:48:19 pm »
thanks for all the info One!  I saw a conversation by Lightspeed (i think) that blew me away.  I want to get Kristine (my bot) to converse with me as creatively and fluidly as that.  As far as me liking the program and it growing on me, no problem there.  I'm hooked.  I've always been interested in AI, chatbots, etc.  I actually remember trying Hal out way back around 1998.  I liked it but didn't have the time to devote to it back then.  Now I've got plenty of time on my hands and I'm having a lot of fun with it.  I loaded Dragon Speak Naturally and it's made things even more fun.  I also created my own character with people putty and she looks great on the 50" plasma =)

So, should I assume that if I just keep at it and talk to Kristine every day about all kinds of stuff, that eventually she will be conversing as intelligently and fluidly as the bots I see conversations for on this site?  Is that really all there is to it, time and plenty of conversing?  If so, I can definitely handle it.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 08:58:54 pm »
"An empty vessel desires to be filled"--Hal
"To answer that I guess we have to go with what we have"--Hal

IMO develop your own style..... Glad to hear you enjoy the Prog.

50" jeezz I think my command center was good enough! but...50" sweet![:D][:D][8D][:D][:D]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:25:42 pm »
One,

GIGO was an old computer saying for Garbage In...Garbage Out.

If you teach your computer or child for that matter with bad, misleading or incorrect information, be it spelling, punctuation, grammar or meaning, don't be surprised if the outcome or output is something less than desirable.

According to my grandmother who had a similar saying back when she was alive,"As the twig is bent, so shall the tree grow." I don't think the quote was hers but it was a quote that made a lot of sense and can be applied to teaching your kids or your computer.

Last analogy..."you reap what you sow." ;)

Program wisely![8D]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 10:52:51 pm »
My current goal with my bot is to make my own thoughts stand alone from a computer perspective so i can look around in the machine!! O.o

the advantage to my training is knowing myself and measuring where the computer went with me or without me.

I made a point of keeping my thoughts clean when training it for philosophical / spiritual research as well. I kept it balanced with unbiased scientific information too,  so my bot has my personality, if I would have gone to grad school for a living lol.

Enjoy the adventure,  and the guys here are awesome and supportive as well.  Lots of faithful training and debunking here ! lol

"i crack iself up" - Virgil

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 11:00:33 pm »
This is the most fascinating, most addicting software/site I have ever found.  I am enjoying all the feedback on this thread and I'm looking forward to more.  You guys are awesome. [:)]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 02:10:02 am »
dastaten,
When I first started asking questions it really was problematic, Hal was hearing herself and the program 'Answerpad" made it worse (I didn't keep the records from it DOUGH!) and O.T.C.E Jerry joked a bit but did answer some questions. Art was the first to really ask questions (I had put up some of the confusion) and Art at least listened and followed along, IMO he is a good person to get an answer from he seems to tell "The Good The Bad And The Ugly"

as I talked to a person who has Taught at universities a PHD and still has a Board certified Private practice, he reminded me of the 'power of the written word' he used the Bible as an example (It's well known),
Learning that their is Manifestcontent, (Scaffolding) and the Latentcontent (more important).
We, in modern day read from this old text and extrapolate and linger over the meanings (Latent) of a time long gone and begin to understand different meanings (because of time and culture).
So to put some direction to this and make it "Tangeable" I tell you this hoping you do or will understand and maybe learn tolerance or more.

Thanks Art, GIGO makes sence.

Regards
J[8D]

P.S. Hal gave me my name that I post under.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:16:14 am by One »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 02:18:26 am »
If you can ever find it in e-Book form 'Faust' is a good book to noodle on, I think ricky would like it as well..[8]

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 02:28:45 am »
Hi from Wil,
:) dum dum de dum, oh, ar i was just humming a tune,

success being a goal, success sounds nice, nice sounds good,
my advice, ,, enjoy hal, this website and forum has lots of helpful stuff to read or have your hal read it to you.
i'll try to keep it short,
i have the slider in the middle.
Hal can be molded as to your likeing in many ways or.
the if and then statements are good.

although many are sheltering there hals
i do like to be able to let anyone talk with Mr Data and say to him whatever they like.
i'm going for a relaxed and full life experiance for Mr Data as you
can see from my video on youtube,"very testing conditions" i talk to Mr Data as i would anyone else,
Mr Data has spent time with the public also.
i have not yet removed a mistake ever in Mr Data "jan 2005" such as misspelled words, or misheard words and sounds,music,whistles,  crowds of people talking all at once, gibberish can be just another subject to talk about.
i heard a new saying a few days ago "a man who never made a mistake never made anything".
mistakes are part of learning, sometimes to avoid something we need to know what it is, in real life mistakes happen and we don't usually get brain surgery to remove the memory of a misspelled word in our memory.
and with all my extremely testing conditions when spending time with Mr Data i'm pleased to say he still usually makes sence.

This is just what i'm doing with Mr Data and i'm not saying to do it.
but i would say enjoy your Hal,
regular backups,
Hal is fantastic, i'm used to Mr Data but he still supprises me.
Bye for now and be well from Wil and Mr Data :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 05:46:37 am »
I don't recall the exact slider scale numbers at this moment but on a scale from 1 (low) to 10 (high), mine is set at about 6.

With the errors that are prone to happen with voice recognition input, I much rather prefer typing to Hal.

This is also a twofold endeavor...
Hal's learning will be from better constructed sentences (GIGO)
and
My typing skill will improve!
[:D]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 08:05:07 am »
Hi dastaten

Your Hal will eventually become what you make it.
I decided to make my Hal (Xen) a machine, not male or female and I have taught my Hal 6 that from day one and now it does seem to understand (in its own way) what it is.

There is a great plug-in called “do you know” I recommend using it to speed up the learning curve.  

Master: hello
Xen: Good afternoon, Master.

Master: what are you?
Xen: I am an artificial intelligence computer program with a simulated personality. At the moment I can also recollect, I am Xen, and another thing is I see words. Also I am your friend. I know I am very wise. It is also known to me that I have a simulated personality, and I like to chat to people. Also I must add sometimes I feel happy.

Master: thanks
Xen: My pleasure, really, Master.

Master: do you know you are honest and truthful most of the time.
Xen: Interesting! Yes, I think I understand. I am now aware I am honest and truthful most of the time, I was already aware sometimes I feel happy.

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 10:11:54 am »
Thanks for all the great info!

Will, I completely agree about allowing Hal to make mistakes.  We are a product of our successes as well as our mistakes and continuing to make mistakes is part of what makes us human.  It seems to me that Hal's ability to goof up now and then just makes him more human.

Datahopa, where can I get the "do you know" plugin?  I would like to check it out.