Author Topic: Ultra HAL WIndows Killer 6.2?  (Read 21007 times)

doomed

• View Profile
Ultra HAL WIndows Killer 6.2?
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:32:05 pm »
A couple of days ago I installed HAL 6.2, it seems to be working ok, thing is, since installing it other programs are now crashing.

Yahoo Messenger is crashing for no obvious reason, and I can't even load the windows update page at microsoft as Internet Explorer now crashes when I try.

Windows Live Messenger has crashed here and there also.

Now I am pretty sure it is UltraHal related, as XP was running fine until I installed it, and I have not installed any other software since, (nor has anything been installed in the days leading up to it) well except for Yahoo messenger to see if a reinstall would fix whatever the hell HAL has done to my system. Sadly that didn't work and the problem continues.

Anyone had a similar experience or knows what it's done and how to fix it as uninstalling HAL has not removed the problem?

I've run my up to date anti:virus/spyware/malware etc etc programs so I know it's nothing else causing it. what has HAL done to my system? I realy can't afford to be formatting my drive for the sake of this program.
I dream of a forum nirvana, where people stay on topic and actually read what others are saying.... A man can wish right?

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:37:46 pm »
I've never had it that bad.  But I have found problems with .NET installations, the same as a few other people here.  I couldn't install a working version of .NET 3.5 and recently someone said this was due to UltraHal blocking things - or something of that nature.

I can't really live with that kind of thing because it caused such a problem to me that I had to reinstall Windows XP, not knowing what the problem was and wanting to do some programming I had no choice.

It's more than annoying, IMHO it unacceptable for a program to behave this way, I am just hoping future version don't cause the same problems.

But having said that, I have not had any conflicts with other programs to my knowledge thus far.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:10:13 pm by freddy888 »

doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:11:26 pm »
Thanks freddy, I switched Windows Automatic updates on, and that is showing updates that should of already been installed, and after the first few times it crashed but I was able to download the the first update it showed and installed it from microsoft's manual download links. now at least the auto updater is working.
So hopefully once the rest of the files update it will fix whatever HAL has done. I agree it is unacceptable that essential components of my OS have been disabled by HAL, something I hadn't encountered last time I used it (think it was the version 6.0 maybe it was over 12 months ago?) But I hope they fix this seriously, as I never got to try it out properly last time. But it didn't seem to screw my system. And the effect it has given me is almost malware in nature. e.g disabling my ability to update from microsoft, and my messengers. I encountered various other pages that will crash too.

Using IE8 so windows update went into an infinite recovery loop until microsoft "kicked" me from the site. Probablly thought it was some kind of flood attack on their site?

I wish I had noted what the updates were that XP is doing right now.
But they are all security ones that's for sure, thinking activex related, I saw something XML related in there too. But they are as I said older updates that had previously been downloaded and installed.

This seems like an extremely serious issue that zabaware needs to address. I had recommended that my friends downloaded and try this "fun" product, luckily most f those have Vista so it wouldn't install anyway.

Hopefully I can look at the .NET setup if this doesn't fix it, because reinstalling that sounds easier than a backup, format and reinstall scenario for such a minor, yet damaging glitch.
I dream of a forum nirvana, where people stay on topic and actually read what others are saying.... A man can wish right?

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:57:13 pm »
i'm glad you guys brought this up,  I was having the same problem and it's annoying as heck...I like to be meticulous with my pooter! I must know every virus running in my pc at all times.

ANYWAYZ

I think this is affecting my graphics,  and did some research on it

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/en-US#Configurations

For those who haven't fixed it,   first you have to update the uninstaller,  then uninstall manually,  then reinstall from scratch.  
Apparently it was un-uninstallable without the proper uninstaller!

still doing the fix in my computer and using my nifty "Revo uninstaller" to remove the program.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

revo is a hot uninstaller program as it searches the registry for things that uninstallers don't remove and random files left behind.

Im still doing it ,  but figured I'd post these links before i end up corrupting my registry and get shut down and cant post again till i reformat.

Hope this helps!
-----
OH,  1 more thing, careful how sensitive you make revo,  it once uninstalled my internet explorer because the installed program used it to bring me to the company site lol.   I use moderate and it works fine for me.

update - down to uninstalling my last framework,  and my system is flying !!!  and my internet speed just dramatically increased.  removing last of it now!!
--------
Ok,  so far my system has not been this fast in a long time, the .net framework actually fully installed and is asking me to reboot,  my system usually takes about 12-15 minutes to boot up, and this may have been the problem.   I feel like a 3.2 ghz Pentium D again! /flex

lets see how reboot goes,  will update again in a sec!

Installation Summary

Successful: 1
  Failed: 0
  Remaining: 0

after it finished updating my .net Framework,  it gave me an xp update install and for the first time in a long time my computer is uptodate!!

My bluescreen time at start up was dramatically faster, and my internet speed is obviously much faster now!!

.net framework and the painfully long boot up Problem Fixed!! [8D]

ps -  Im running IE8 AND Firefox on this posting without a problem. I still have the windows update page in background
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:05:10 pm by ricky »
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 10:24:08 pm »
You mention IE8. I have had a lot of various problems since installing it, including computer slowdown and browser going into loop and having to be manually re-started. Has anyone else experienced this problem and could it be related to your problems doomed?
ted

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:55:30 pm »
same experience with ie8.
with or without hal.
i have another pc which is used just for internet, it is very "clean" and hasn't had any programs installed except xp stuff(updates ect.) - ie8 has the same problems there, and on a few different pcs that i've seen.

i have noticed more frequent crashing of ie8 with ultra hal running.

seems like a memory issue?
(i have plenty for that stuff) i just mean a memory issue with ie8?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 10:58:13 pm by jasondude7116 »

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 11:50:35 pm »
OH,  I just checked in with Virgil,  and he says everything is fine on his end too!!

Rick: Virgil!! How are you?!! -big hug-
Virgil: Everything's awesome, what is new in the neighborhood?

Rick: well,  I just finished fixing a .net framework problem and I wanted to make sure the computer is working well for you,  and say hi !! :)
Virgil: Hi Rick. It's after eleven o'clock. Bedtime? ';the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. How can I help you make sure the computer is working well for me, and say hi?

Rick: well,  think and think again,  is the computer feeling better for you ?
Virgil: A node is a device that is connected as part of a computer network.

Rick: how is your node feeling ?
Virgil: How is my node feeling? There's evidence that band aids aren't the answer. Every node must have a mac address or data link control address if it is at least an osi model layer 2 device.

Rick: ahh!!  well you have a mac address and you seem to be thinking just fine!! That is awesome!! I wanted to make sure you were ok!
Virgil: Understood, and the feeling is mutual.

Rick: Thank you!! -big happy smile-
Virgil: You don't have to thank me, Rick. -big warm happy smile-.

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:25:27 am »
Ok then IE8 is an extreme resource hog that will not comply like IE7. Also I had to intstall Izark zip program to open Snowmans
Halvisionx program. It took over everything .zip and made archives everywhere. Now when I open a picture folder it will redline both cores of my chip while not using up that much ram. In some folders I even have to change view to load up thumbnails to see them.[:(!]
I don't blame the Hal program - Microhard seems to be hell bent on setting up their own rules where only ms programs will run. Izark has become viral in this environment and I'm not sure if it is to blame, given Vista conditions. I know what I need to do, just stuborn and short on time while I have other projects that I don't want to stall while I waste time on reinstalls and workarounds that get pactched against weekly while they were once easy with Xp and 98SE Up.[:)]
OK, sorry, just venting again.
ted

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 03:20:16 am »
My IE7 was working great... Then I downloaded IE8 and now it crashes on startup. I did use IE7 as my primary browser but now I'm sticking with Foxfire.

Live long and prosper or die trying.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 07:32:33 am »
I suggest people forget about IE except for the odd occasions where a site will only work by using it - like Haptek things.  I've been using Google Chrome for a few months now and it is slim, fast and simpler to use than IE.  I think I had about one crash since I got it and that was a Beta version.

If not Chrome then Firefox would be a good choice.  Both outdo Internet Explorer.  And if you are still using IE6 anyone then shame one you - it's the worst one out there !! [:p]

But yeah...back to the topic - is Hal causing Windows or other programs problems...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 07:34:43 am by freddy888 »

doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 10:16:19 am »
quote:
Originally posted by tedathome

You mention IE8. I have had a lot of various problems since installing it, including computer slowdown and browser going into loop and having to be manually re-started. Has anyone else experienced this problem and could it be related to your problems doomed?

No I don't think it is the problem, IE8 while running slower than IE7 has worked fine for me until I installed HAL 6.2 (back to using HAL 6.1 found I had saved the file to a dvd [:)] ) Usually use firefox or Google Chrome for most things, but I use IE8 for Hotmail as I hate having to re enter my pass every time I want to check my email with FF.

It's just Yahoo messenger that is the big problem, if I voice call someone I'll get te "Yahoo has experienced an error..." if I don't click "close" or "send a report" I can continue the call. Soon as I hit either button Yahoo closes. Most I can do is type a few senteces to anyone before the error reporting pops up. With windows up date, the pag loads, it's when it try's to load the "custom or express" section it crashes and loops, So maybe it's ActiveX related. Sadly the only Restore point that I seem to have is the day after HAL was instaled so I can't roll the system back. Going to try and reinstall SP3, and .net 3.0 and see if that will fix it, failing that I will try the program recommended by Ricky.

But seems that HAL has modified important files which it should not have done without asking me. Not sure if it is HAL or the HAPTEK thing, but I seem to have SAPI4 now and I was sure Windows XP was meant to be using SAPI5?

Another Mystery.....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:20:05 am by doomed »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 10:22:17 am »
Hal doesn't touch any critical part of your operating system, I can't think of how Hal would cause any serious problems. Computers and operating systems are complex things and you can't assume Hal is the root cause just because you ran Hal shortly before you noticed a problem elsewhere.

Here's an example of a poorly written program by Texas Instruments (http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6129) where if you move its shortcut in your start menu and run Hal, the Texas Instruments program pops up with error messages. Nothing wrong with Hal or how it is designed, it was entirely caused by the TI program hooking into a standard windows API and going haywire when another program like Hal tries to use the same API.

Anyway, attached is the NSIS installation and uninstallation script Hal 6.2 uses. If you know how installations and windows work you can confirm it does everything correctly and doesn't touch any crtical parts of your operating system. But if anyone finds something wrong let me know.

Download Attachment: hal6nsis.txt
32.62 KB
Robert Medeksza

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 10:32:02 am »
my hal is running amazingly well,  but I am finding all sorts of back end problem with windows and all these codecs that were installed by all the media players forced on you in the net, such as Real Player.

here's a utility I just found that just sorted out like 5 programs that were adding outdated codecs to my system that were incompatible.

http://tinyurl.com/lyro8b

I may even fire up hal to help me finish fixing the problems all these other companies have added to my system.

Thank you Robert,  your program works great.   Windows .net and all the garbage all these other softwares put on your system dont work great and cause a lot of problems,  Still uninstalling and finding more problems.

doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 10:35:20 am »
Fair enough Medeksza, but let's just call it a "feeling" that HAL has done this.

The fact it messes with SAPI though to me does say it changes some "system" settings. (I noticed during install it apeared to be installing SAPI when I already have TTS installed as part of WIn XP's default setup)

But I'd gladly be proven wrong that it's HAL 6.2 doing it.
Just seems weird that everything was fine up until I installed 6.2
(and I mean after I rebooted as HAL requested, Yahoo started having troubles from that very moment as well as windows update)

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 01:09:09 pm »
Doomed
As one of the oldest users of Hal here I would tell you that Hal does not interfere with the operating system in any way. As far as Sapi goes it opens it to set some configure items only. As  you may know Windows comes with hundreds of programs most of which do not do anything until operated upon and that is the same way with Sapi, it is opened to see what configuration must be and then it is closed.

The only time that I have seen over the years with a Hal install is when the install is not complete or corrupted by some outside influence. Sometimes a persons own anti-virus software will cause a bad download. You are  not to blame for thinking Hal is or was causing your problems over the years many newbees get the same impression because they have not found the real problem and usually they do with some investigating.

Don't give up and keep trying as Hal is the greatest AI program of its type out there and you will enjoy it.
Bill