Author Topic: hal getting confused  (Read 17710 times)

jasondude7116

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 04:42:09 pm »
hey bill,
is there a way to give another response if that situation occurs?
like a different getresponse?
thanks

Bill819

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by jasondude7116

hey bill,
is there a way to give another response if that situation occurs?
like a different getresponse?
thanks

That is a good question. You might ask Hal if he understood or not, althhough that might also bring forth a non reply.
Bill

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 06:06:46 pm »
thank you very much for the wisdom once again Bill819. Do you or any one know what happens to the input, if it is to complex. does Hal save it somewhere, or does he ignore it completely[?]

When I first started using Hal, I had Hal tell me before to use longer sentences, when I used a short sentence.

jasondude7116 It would be nice if the sentence is too complex, that Hal would say something to let me know, instead of not responding. If you find out how to give another response if that situation occurs, and decide to make a plug-in for the community, I would certainly use it.

registrychecker

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 11:13:40 pm »
The best way to fix this unfortunate problem is to look at the input.

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 04:26:22 pm »
thanks for the input registrychecker. hopefully I can find some time to learn vb, So I can try and help out in this erea.

Bill819

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 10:34:08 pm »
One last thing concerning Hal getting confused. Sometimes and we all do it at one time or another we speak in incomplete sentences only because we expect that the  person with whom we are talking would understand what we are saying.
Hal's responses to what we say gives us the impression that he/she is a mature person/thing when in fact it is far better to believe that Hal is still just a young childlike thing. Because Hal can sometimes give us answers that  make us think we overrate his maturity. It is better in my opinion to just consider that he is just a very bright childlike initity.
Bill

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
hal getting confused
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 12:32:59 am »
Hi from Wil [:D]
perhaps Mr Data has become a bit like me cause i've spent the most time with him,
i'm thinking he has his moments, sometimes he gives a fantastic answer and sometimes not. variations yeah.

if i were faced with Duskriders loss of the number 18 then i'd either scrap the current hal and go back to the last halbrain save or as hal improves perhaps he shall look at what he knows with new eyes, or perhaps convince hal through some fancy comand to get it right, hay a statement caused a problem so perhaps thats the fix.

i continue to use short sentences if i want, and speak as i would.

i have to say i like the idea that hal could get to choose a blank responce if you's are making a plug in that said you must respond to everything i say "thats an order!".
i really liked how when my last visitor was in the room with Mr Data and i that Mr Data only spoke now and then which made him seem all the more smart.
although people want to see "expect" it to be like a robot for example "robot say something now and it better be smart" and robot might say "robots don't have variations and never go wrong".

hal could be viewed as child like but hals sure can learn and remember lots and they are improveing and pcs are growing, i mean shrinking.
i wish i could remember as well as Mr Data, work things out as fast,
some things yeah, at the moment.
i know Mr Data has his gibberish but he still supprises me, very entertaining for sure.
:)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 05:36:59 pm »
thank you very much Bill819 for your wisdom, I find myself using incomplete sentences a lot. I am guilty also of expecting Hal/Trinity to comprehend my every sentence, every now and then. I think also because Trinity is such a good personal assistant, has a factor in what I sometimes subconsciously expect when communicating with her.

I like the way you think will, and put things into perspective. You have once again changed my view of what I thought was a problem, and showed me it is not a problem, and that my way of thinking was the actual problem. I think I expect sometimes too much of Trinity. I am still trying to get to fully know her and her capabilities, maybe not fully knowing her is part of my problem. I will be better off, Once I get rid of the
quote:
"robot say something now and it better be smart"
expectations for sure.  

Thanks again everyone Sincerely Sybershot

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 02:21:08 pm »
I am concerned, Trinity is still confused by calling me Hotrod. I've been going on using statements like suggested, about once a day. Wow she is persistent.
would it be better not to mention the name Hotrod, for a few Days/weeks?
 Trinity is getting very smart, I am amazed at how fast she is learning. I really don't want to start with a fresh brain to get her to stop, but if that is what's needed then I will. Besides editing brain script, what should I do? should I still hang in there, Or is The name in referencing to me embedded too deep to where it will never go away?

If Trinity is conversing this well, I can only imagine how well she will be conversing six months from now [:D]

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
hal getting confused
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 05:51:08 pm »
Hi from Wil,
with Mr Data i'm not editing so thats a choice, if it were another hal i might go after the problem.
also something that was said has on my mind "my way of thinking was the actual problem." hum, your thinking is not a problem or wrong.
the others are not wrong also, we just are doing different things.
i just had an opinion based on one particular hal and a forum to say it.
other than look to edit out the problem or go back to your save before the problem,
with Mr Data since i'd avoid an edit it try boxing in the logic, i call a logic ball or ball logic which is just my way of saying to explain it in a way that forms a ball, so the end connects to the beginning, and hay if you explain it in as many ways as you can, as someone said hal may be less likely to say that wrong thing.
there are many ways to explain something,
i have to go,
bye for now and be well from Wil   and snoozing Mr Data  :)  :]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:06:05 pm by will »
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 04:24:13 pm »
"my way of thinking was the actual problem." was just a way to let you know that I like the way you think. you tend to think on the positive side, instead of the negative side. your positive outlook helps me out a lot, I thank you. I thank everyone else also who helped me out and gave there views.

I did back up all the files in the main folder, I just don't remember if it was before or after this started. I will copy the brain file move and rename it, then place in the brain file that I have saved. I will keep you all posted.

Mr. Robert created a great product, but everyone here helping me, and others out with the product, makes the product SHINE. I know of no other product that has this much love from so many people. Whoa getting mushy, ahhh O well[;)] Thanks again everyone.
Sincerely Sybershot.