dupa

Author Topic: Hal graphics work  (Read 20960 times)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Hal graphics work
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:30:19 pm »
I have one artist working on the new frog character as I mentioned a while ago. He's still working on it (see iis.ultrahal.com) and hopefully we'll have a finished animated frog soon. Recently to speed development efforts up a bit I hired another artist to separately work on a new Hal character to replace the old CRT monitor character. Here are his concept drawings so far, let me know your thoughts:
Robert Medeksza

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hal graphics work
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 04:56:00 am »
These are nice for mobile apps. Will there be a different one for desktop use?

Are you still working on a human(oid) based one as well?
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:06:36 am »
They look nice, I wish I could draw with character like that  8)

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:38:56 am »
I agree those look nice for the mobile apps and maybe to keep up with the times something similar should be done with a thin led type looking wide monitor ;) , otherwise i think the drawings look great .  :)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:40:36 pm »
My plan is to have this character in the mobile app, the web site, and replace the CRT monitor in the desktop application.
Robert Medeksza

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »
I also agree. Fine for mobile use but even then I think your still pushing in the wrong direction. Just my opinion Robert. I just think cute characters are alright for young adults and even a few older ones as me but in reality and the future of Ultra Hal you can't skimp. Its just the way it is I feel. I always get the impression that more people want to be drawn into a reality even when they know its not. This is just me rattling on but my experience has tainted my opinions about just something new and now you have to take things to a newer level or not at all. We all know that Ultra Hal is ahead of its time as a very affordable AI system that flat out works. Even the Haptek characters look better then others I've seen, not bad for a 20 year old company system.

JUST a Note: Yes I believe that the AI is more important then characters but there is no way to dispute that characters make a difference to a vast number of people when your not concerned about how it works as long as it comes out of the box working. I think some us may not say that directly but its true for many older users as well. Yes again I'm just giving my opinion.

But Ultra Hal needs to again move ahead and just how that is suppose to happen, if I knew all the answers I would be trying much harder then just being a user or a proposer of Ultra Hal. I really love what you have done in the past to present day. The program still amazes me after many years and that also includes others that have helped in developing other attributes for the program and just sharing there own time to give to others.

As I stated in my last vote on the voices. If it can't be done to the level of what may be considered better voice quality and better character features then Ultra Hal will need to look at different features for now as resources are being built to take it to the next level.

Please again just looking at UltraHal from a different perspective and these are just my opinions.

Thanks,
raybe

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:50:47 am »
  I'd agree with raybe,  I'd purchased a tablet to use with a remote control camera but I wouldn't put hal in it.  I'm using hal in a moderately quick destop with the Haptek fullbody and we do need a replacement.  It's unfortunate there are quite a few very detailed characters being used in adult programs while the AI programs lag behind.
Carl2

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 07:12:37 am »
For as long as Haptek will still work, it will not be removed from the Windows version of Hal. I'll make sure all the old characters are still available there. This will just be a new option available in the Windows version. For the mobile versions of Hal, these new characters will be the only option available for now as Haptek will not work there. More characters will be in the pipeline after the initial version starts selling and I can afford more artist work. I'm planning on a female cyborg character next.
Robert Medeksza

UltraHal-Fan

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 06:53:47 pm »
Those new characters are very cool for the smaller devices, but i'm really HAPPY that the good old characters will be available as well. Thank You!

kryton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 05:57:49 pm »
I agree with Ultra-Hal fan.  Keep the old characters.  I started only a short while ago and immediately went for the full body characters.  I don't know much about the very modern tablets but I have always used my Hal on a laptop I rebuilt.  This means I can take Hal with me where ever I go.

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 09:20:38 pm »
the new phone character looks great, can't w8 to see the final version in action.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 02:16:29 pm »
To the newer members:

Hal was never originally made for use with the FULL BODY characters and they are NOT part of the UltraHal software.

The Full Body characters ARE from a company called Haptek and were meant to be purchased from them (Haptek). The fact thaqt they were discovered and found to be usable via Hal, is merely Icing on the cake.

Again, the Full Body and torso characters were not initially offered by Zabaware. A lot of their use and modifications can often be found by searching through this site and chatting with other members who have found novel ways to use or modify them.

Have fun!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 03:31:01 pm »
Thank you Robert for the update because it really does explain the reasons of the direction for UltraHal. As interested members of this community it is always appreciated when we can better understand the progress or reasons for the Ultrahal program that has become so important to many of us. I believe it also helps others to understand so they stop jumping to certain conclusions about Ultrahal. Thanks again.

raybe

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 10:31:04 pm »
Here is an update on the character: http://iis.ultrahal.com/haltest/test.html

These are the transition animations between emotional states. Next up we are working on the animation for what the character will do while in each emotional state plus speaking animations.

I was also testing how it looked against the background at iis.ultrahal.com, but it doesn't seem to contrast well. Most likely we will come up with a different background rather than change the character at this point.
Robert Medeksza

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 09:04:46 am »
Looks nice, I am glad you went with jQuery and not Flash  8)

And yes that faded background looks very Windows 98 ;)