dupa

Author Topic: I have a question if anyone can help about self extracting files  (Read 3209 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
hi , calling all brains out their!!, i have in the past with a zip file program made a self extracting file but as i did it it showed my user name and all the pathway to the hal program files where the file would be extracted automatically . what i want to do is make it so anyone can use it and it will extract into their program file .
i would think having my name on the pathway (beginning) wouldn't allow it to work on others pc's.  can anyone tell me how to create a zip file path that would work right???  As alway's any help on this would be appreciated, thanks in advance ! :)

i had it before where it went into the program filex86  \zabaware\ultrahal assistant 6
i just need to know what i should do at the beginning of that to make it to where anyone with  a cdr can put it in and extract it to this location what should the beginning part ogf this pathway be??? ???
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:06:46 pm by lightspeed »

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
Re: I have a question if anyone can help about self extracting files
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:11:07 pm »
What program are you using to do this?
Live long and prosper or die trying.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:28:59 pm »
it's WINZIP.

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:10:07 pm »
You might have to use WinZip Self-Extractor and not WinZip Self-Extractor Personal Edition. I've never used this before to do what your wanting to do. According to the help content and some instinct I don't think its possible to use something like %Program Files%\Zabaware\Ultra Hal Assistant 6.

However, my OS is Win 7 and my Hal directory is  "C:\Program Files\Zabaware\Ultra Hal Assistant 6".

If you leave the target directory blank then it should default to Temp. WinZip SE should also give you the option to find the extraction folder yourself. I gather you already know this but its worth saying.

I'm downloading WinZip Self-Extractor and will let you know if it has more options.

Live long and prosper or die trying.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 03:27:27 pm »
thanks snowman for the info and i look forward to anything else you find about it .  :) i am inbetween thing always 100 things going , soon have to put up christmas lights on the outside of roof , while the weather is warm .  :P

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 04:53:16 pm »
I'm using Windows 7 64 and my UltraHal path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zabaware\Ultra Hal Assistant 6\HalAsst.exe

It uses the (x86) because it is NOT a 64 bit program or so I've been told.

One could install it there but it is not the default in my case.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 06:33:30 pm »
thanks art , i guess maybe it's a matter of opening the pathway to that what you said and then setting it that way as a self extracting file, i used winzip just about 4? times and haven't used it that much , my problem is i have tramatic stress syndrom and everything is harder as i forget things , have to alway's make notes . when i can slow down a bit , i'll try to make some test ones just in that path if possible .  :) or if anyone does it and test it before i can let me know ok? maybe you can send any zip file to someone else and see if it extracts into hals program folder (anything even a jpeg picture ).

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 05:26:55 pm »
Lonnie,

I think there was a setting in WinZip and in most that states "Use Paths" or something similar.
Maybe check for and try that!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -