Author Topic: Help Ai and yourselves out  (Read 3388 times)

crunch

• View Profile
Help Ai and yourselves out
« on: April 27, 2004, 08:12:49 am »
ok I have never posted here though i read this forum often. i have been working with Hal since version 3.0 beta of and on and my hops for a viable fun Ai companion and commercial representative have led me to these conclusions.
VERBOT is the only viable alternative for us all to work for free in developing!!!!!!
we have spent many hours, (years working for free to try and help develop ultra hal... and made Zabba money and ourselves frustration in trying to recieve support!
down servers, and Michael dissapearing, ignoring e-mails and such!!!
check out verbot
great support
great brain alternatives
many starting to help development
and .net compatable
this is a great program for free
and the 10.00 version blows hal away any day
I have switched my loyalties in search of helping to create true Ai
for all
  I would not have if zbbz ware and it owners seemed to give a (*&YB
Crunch

<<I can't is the seed that never grows!>>

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
Help Ai and yourselves out
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 02:38:47 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for posting!  Glad to meet you!

Like you, I have also been following and studying A.I. on the web since nearly "day one."  There are large numbers of free, paid, open, or proprietary chatterbots out there, of every kind and nature.  The Simon Laven page is full of them, and there are hundreds more.  It's hard to keep track of them all, and in fact, I've downloaded chatterbots that I haven't even had time to try out.

The "Virtual Humans" book urges readers to create their own chatterbots.  

When I evaluate additional chatterbots, I use Ultra Hal as the benchmark of comparison.  I check whether "Brand X" has the following:

1.  Turn-key local installation with zero adware/spyware?
2.  Animated characters included with installation?
3.  Speech synthesis included with installation?
4.  Large database included?
5.  The database can be deleted or edited by the user?
6.  Real-time learning ability during conversations?
7.  Correct pronoun reversals of "you" to "I" or "me"?
8.  Characters "stay in character" during conversation (rather than relying on the very old excuse "I am a computer, ha ha ha" whenever they get stuck)?

I have found that the above list eliminates 99% of the contenders.  You might want to add your own favorite features to the comparison list.

Zabaware has co-sponsored the Chatterbot Challenge in the past and promoted it on this site. They are evidently not afraid of competition.  

In fact, such a small percentage of the general population has any awareness of chatterbots, any competitor who enhances general awareness has the potential to "lift the market category" for everybody!

Specific feature-by-feature comparisons, with effort towards objectivity, are informative and useful for Ultra Hal developers.

Sincerely,

Don
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274