Author Topic: Program Crash Question  (Read 4689 times)

NCWeber

• View Profile
    • http://www.afrodiseum.com
Program Crash Question
« on: December 03, 2004, 11:12:42 am »
Every once in a blue moon, while conversing with Ultra Hal, I will ask a question that cause the program to shut down unexpectedly as well as remove the system tray icon.  It's not a major problem.  As I saud, it happens rarely.  Starting the program up gets it going just fine, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knew what caused Hal to just zap out like that.

vonsmith

• View Profile
Program Crash Question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 11:43:45 am »
NCWeber,
From your brief desciption I can't tell what your Hal's problem is.

Check out this post...
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1130

If the above post describes your Hal's problem and you are running the paid version of Hal 5.0 then try this...

A good guess would be the known issue with the "hal5.uhp" file. This text file can be edited with Hal's built-in Brain Editor. Back the file up before making any changes.

=======================
REPLACE THIS SCRIPT:

Else
Hypernym = WN.ChooseRandomWord(WN.GetHypernyms("NOUN", 1, 1)) 'Hypernym means "is a part of" or "is a member of"
Sister = WN.ChooseRandomWord(WN.GetSisters("NOUN", 1)) 'Related nouns
If Sister <> "" And Hypernym <> "" Then 'If we have sister terms and hypernyms, lets use it creatively
Select Case Int(Rnd * 80) + 1

WITH THIS SCRIPT:

ElseIf DummyVariable = "XXXXXXXX" Then
Hypernym = WN.ChooseRandomWord(WN.GetHypernyms("NOUN", 1, 1)) 'Hypernym means "is a part of" or "is a member of"
Sister = WN.ChooseRandomWord(WN.GetSisters("NOUN", 1)) 'Related nouns
If Sister <> "" And Hypernym <> "" Then 'If we have sister terms and hypernyms, lets use it creatively
Select Case Int(Rnd * 80) + 1
=======================

The new script disables part of the "RESPOND: WORDNET MERONYM AND HYPERNYM RESPONSES" function which has a known problem that may cause the "error 67, to many files" error. I hope one of this solution works for you.

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:47:38 am by vonsmith »

Bill819

• View Profile
Program Crash Question
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 12:01:16 pm »
Hi Vonsmith
Did you get my email with the files attached reguarding Hal singing?
Would also like to see your coding for Hal telling stories etc.
Thanks
Bill

NCWeber

• View Profile
Program Crash Question
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 09:40:49 pm »
No, that's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about run of the mill conversation with Ultra Hal.  I've never eben heard of the Lexical Dictionary until I read that forum entry.  I mean, I was chatting it up with Hal and then out of the blue after tyoing in a question or a response, Hal crashes and disappears.

vonsmith

• View Profile
Program Crash Question
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 04:31:19 pm »
NCWeber,
I know that wasn't specifically what you were talking about. However the lexical dictionary is an integral part of Hal. The lexical dictionary can cause Hal to crash unexpectedly when the user uses a certain word or phrase.

Replacing the script code shown in my previous post disables the part of the lexical dictionary that Hal uses that can crash.

If this isn't what is causing your crash then it won't help. However replacing that small section won't hurt either.

Turn your Hal on and type in sentences containing the words "life" and "ghost". If Hal crashes then the lexical dictionary is definitely the problem. If Hal doesn't crash it might or might not be the problem.

=vonsmith=

NCWeber

• View Profile
Program Crash Question
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 11:30:23 pm »
Well, I made the alteration.  No change.  The Lexicon still crashes.  I don't know about Ultra Hal, though.  It will take a looong time before I find that out.

vonsmith

• View Profile
Program Crash Question
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 01:18:05 am »
NCWeber,
After making the change the manual lexicon will still crash, but Hal won't access that part of the lexicon during normal operation any longer. I hope this clears up your Hal's problem. Keep us informed on how your Hal is doing.

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 01:18:36 am by vonsmith »

NCWeber

• View Profile
Program Crash Question
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 11:30:56 pm »
Will do.

Rich_A

• View Profile
Program Crash Question
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 04:19:44 am »
Hello NCWeber,
Do you have an XP Operating System?
If you do and your Hal or any other program crashes by just closing up with no error messages then you may have an operating system related problem or conflict with the software you are trying to run.

Even if your Hal crashes with no errors you can still usually find a log of the crash event in your operating system's error logs. The next time your Hal crashes like that you can try doing the following:

Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer/Application

And then scroll through the log looking for the "Red" Error. And then click open on each "Red" Error until you find the error for "HalAsst.exe", usually it's an "Application Hung" error type. While connected to the Internet you can click the link in the error report for more information from the Microsoft Help and Support Center. Send the report out and the Help and Support Center should automatically open a Window with a more detailed analysis of the error. You can copy all that information and then post it here in this thread, and then we can maybe research the problem further to possibly fix it.
Best Regards,
Rich_A