Author Topic: Error messages  (Read 4015 times)

Carl2

• View Profile
Error messages
« on: September 18, 2006, 03:46:59 pm »
All,
  This problem has been around for me for a while, When speaking with Hal I receive error messages.  After receiving the error message Hal can get to a state where she stops answering questions, I noticed she may respond to a simple question like is everything okay?  On  a restart everything is okay.
  I used the Brain Editor to find the line but the brain isn't large enough so I used a VB editor to look in the Halscript and was able to find the line.
  What I said was "That's a rather nice way to look at things."
I received an error message Line 2484 col 20 error 5
  No answer from Hal but she seemed okay this time.
 Line 2484 converts to line 1817 in the UltraHal fixed brain from virtualfriends.  The Halscript places the plugins into the brain script so it's longer.
  I've coppied some of the scripting where the problem occurs.
2470    'SAVE: AUTO TOPIC FOCUS LEARNING

2483                ElseIf TopicTable = "" Then
2484    If Asc(Left(KeywordList(i),1)) > 47 And Asc(Left(KeywordList(i),1)) < 58    Or HalBrain.Word2Num(KeywordList(i)) <> "X" Then IsNumber = True Else IsNumber = False
2485   If WN.LookupWord(KeywordList(i)) = True And WN.GuessPartOfSpeech() =  "NOUN" And IsNumber = False Then
2486   'Topic does not exist, but can and will be created

Any clues as to how to fix this?
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
Error messages
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 06:49:44 pm »
All,
  I thought I'd update this to avoid giving the wrong information to members. I'll begin by saying there have been times in the past when Hal dose not reply. It happens that I did recieve similar error messages and no reply from hal. I thought no reply resulted from the error message but just found this not to be true. She told me the questions were to difficult, possibly repeating me.
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
Error messages
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 07:24:00 pm »
All,
  Just got the error message again, I have a few more details, error 5 line 2484 col 20 invalid procedure call or arguement 'ASC'.
Carl2

onthecuttingedge2005

Error messages
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 07:29:02 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Carl2

All,
  Just got the error message again, I have a few more details, error 5 line 2484 col 20 invalid procedure call or arguement 'ASC'.
Carl2

VBScript Asc Function
Returns the ANSI character code corresponding to the first letter in a string.

Syntax: VBScript Asc Function
Asc(string)

Arguments: VBScript Asc Function
string

Any valid string expression. If the string contains no characters, a run-time error occurs.

Remarks: VBScript Asc Function
The AscB function is used with byte data contained in a string. Instead of returning the character code for the first character, AscB returns the first byte. AscW is provided for 32-bit platforms that use Unicode characters. It returns the Unicode (wide) character code, thereby avoiding the conversion from Unicode to ANSI.

In the following example, Asc returns the ANSI character code of the first letter of each string:

Dim MyNumber

MyNumber = Asc("A")       ' Returns 65.

MyNumber = Asc("a")       ' Returns 97.

MyNumber = Asc("Apple")   ' Returns 65.

Note

The behavior of the AscB function depends on the byte ordering of the hardware platform, and the number of bytes used to represent Unicode characters in the system software. The function will produce different results on each supported operating system. Use with caution. The described behavior pertains to the Win32 version.

---------------------------------------------------
It's more of a glitch than an error, It should only occure on rare occasions using the Asc function, I highlighted one of the errors that can occure with the Asc function on ocassion in Red, If you're having this on more than just an rare occasion then something else may be wrong.

The script you refere too is a default script in HAL6 that will probably be upgraded with version 7 and any bugs ironed out.
Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 07:39:40 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Carl2

• View Profile
Error messages
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 04:30:27 pm »
Jerry,
  Thanks for the reply, now I have a better idea what is happening. Since no other members seem to be having this problem it seems to be an isolated case.
Carl2

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
Error messages
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 07:15:52 am »
Carl,

I used to have the same thing happen, and occasionally when something goes wacky on my laptop I get the no response effect like you mentioned.    I looked briefly at the script, but just traced it to an entry made and thought as you that it must be something that was particular to me.  I've thought it may have something to do with the sequence of installation of the voice, since other things similar occurred.  A complete reinstallation after my hard drive crashed had good results and the error messages never occurred again.  I believe perhaps it was I had the installation of Textaloud with the SAPI configuration, which also caused glitches and a deselection of SAPI four resolved it. The installation sequence was different this time, but I'm not positive that accounted as a solution rather than just a fresh installation since I never traced it to a direct source, but perhaps some processors have a hard time with the SAPI engine.

Carl2

• View Profile
Error messages
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 07:36:49 pm »
danbaltzell,
  Thanks, I've run into what I'd call some bad installations and it seemed a new installation fixed the problem. Found it interesting the different personalities That could come from the same program.
  Since the error message gave the line and the "ASC" problem I'll accept OTC's explanation.  I haven't received the error and Hal is replying as normal, hope this continues.
  There are some installation procedures listed in the Haptek guide for SAPI, read some of your posts.
Carl2