dupa

Author Topic: A question about creating characters with people putty  (Read 10368 times)

Calhoone

• View Profile
A question about creating characters with people putty
« on: November 30, 2014, 11:24:51 pm »
Hi folks!

I'm trying to get a couple of specific looks for my two main Hal characters, Kinkaid and Ares. I was thinking of going through the process of reformatting my older laptop for the purpose of installing windows xp and getting people putty but I have a couple questions first.

1 - I read somewhere that you can't buy it. Is this true? I'll be looking at the website shortly so not sure why I'm asking.

2 - I know it is an old program an is no longer being supported but is it possible to create more robotic/cybernetic looking characters? I have a couple ideas I would like to try for my characters.

3- Is it possible to use a program such as Blender www.blender.org which is a free open source modeling program to create a model and then use that to take a picture of to transfer into people putty?

I'm not sure if at this point it is worth investing money in People putty due to it's current state. I'm hoping Ultra Hal one day gets something new to use.

DemonRaven

• View Profile
    • chatbotfriends
Re: A question about creating characters with people putty
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 11:34:45 pm »
When I attempted to buy it you get directed a page error. You can download some of their stuff still including the demo but I am not sure how good that is if you can not use it.

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 11:37:04 pm »
Hrrm, that is rather disappointing.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:05:19 am »
To answer your 3rd item, You can basically attach ANY picture or real person's PHOTO to the head / face of any People Putty Character.
You really don't need a modeling program just to obtain a picture.

In PP, there are numerous head shapes, one of which, I'm sure, would work for your purposes.

IF you had a PP DEMO version AND decided to purchase it through the program's licensing section, it might refer you to Digital River (which handles all transactions for Haptek purchases). Whether or not such attempt would work is another issue.

The program as a DEMO will NOT let you save any of your creations. They can be manipulated and experimented with while you are using the program in a session but you cannot Save your work. The program REQUIRES a SERIAL NUMBER with which to activate People Putty.

That's what I know....

NOTE: When you use the Haptek People Putty Player (the window / box GUI) you can Drag & Drop any properly configured head image on to / in the window and the character will take on / become that image. It is not permanent and will not show the next time you call the character. It's a one time change or each time change. A permanent change must be created within the People Putty program.

Look around, there might be a previous vendor somewhere with a few copies of the program.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:52 pm »
As far as I know, any of the People Putty Haptar or .htr files can be freely made or given to others. One cannot give or sell a copy of the People Putty Program to another person. That is blatant Piracy and is a crime. The original author / creator is being cheated out of his / her rightfully due monies for the license / use of said program.

The character files are the end result of the use of the paid version of the People Putty program and only that program can create character .htr files.

You are free to give them to others as you see fit. I think it was also done to possibly encourage others to purchase the software in order to create their own characters.

I'd like to see Chris Shaw work on it to allow Windows 7 & 8 operation of People Putty. Once that is done, then he can go about tweaking or designing new software, character polys, models and such.

- Art -

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 02:07:43 am »
I have no intention of pirating People putty. I was going to buy a copy so I could play with my ideas but it seems they are not selling it any more which is disappointing.  I was playing around with the haptek player and some of the haptars that I have, it's too bad I can't do what I want to do.  If only Haptek would update the programs so they are compatible with today's operating systems.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 05:00:04 am »
I was try to imply that you were, I was just making a statement.

It would be cool if Chris Shaw would simply offer People Putty FREE for anyone wishing to use it on an older XP machine.
Why not, since it's no longer being supported.
OR
He could offer it for $5.00 or $10.00 as a reduced closeout sale.

Maybe someone should ring his bell.

I hate the fact that I have it and can't use it (no longer accepts my paid Serial #) on my Win 7 machine other than through the Player and the car program, which allows me to set the number of CPUs.

- Art -

DemonRaven

• View Profile
    • chatbotfriends
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 07:41:18 am »
You should be able to alter the compatibility of a program to a earlier version of it on windows 7 as you can do it on windows 8. I have done that with older programs so I can use them.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:24:05 am »
DemonRaven  not all things can be used with the compatibility mode of windows 7 for instance , I have a game that I really loved playing and is made for xp it would not load on windows 7 at all to install , funny thing was though that after I used and saved the program file in programs area , made a short cut to it the game played fine the game was area 51 .
  having said that , Art is right you can use any picture even if it was from 3daze etc. I know thwey have some free stuff , that could be used on people putty , I also agree and wish that people putty would fix people putty to work on os's above xp , as xp is getting older now and most have moved on .
Maybe people putty has simply stopped working on the older people putty to work on the new version we seen a demo of the browser etc. but that leaves people who thought enough of the people putty out in the cold in a way , if something happens to your old xp p.c. what can you do ? you would have to buy an older model xp pc just to still be able to pay for what you bought from them. if they updated their people putty system to allow users to use it on new systems we could all still use it and they would also get more new customers .
  So I can understand why some new people would be hesitant to buy the people putty that only works on an older system.
IF anyone has gotten people putty to work on a windows 7 through compatibility please say so on here , as I myself would like to change it over from my old xp pc that has to sit beside my windows 7 .
  when people putty is installed and working okay , it works great , easy to use , creates great faces ! :)

DemonRaven

• View Profile
    • chatbotfriends
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 01:13:43 am »
my computer is actually newer and I use windows eight. I used to have windows seven and unlike you never had a problem with my compatibility with my windows 7 (I have some old games that i am fond of too),and so far have not run into a problem with windows 8 on it. The demo will work for me on windows 8 but you can't save anything on it.

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 04:37:55 am »
If you can get people putty it will run on win7 not sure about 8 though.
The drawback is that you can't save anything you make.
Just before the demise of Haptek i got win 7.
So i put putty on it & found i couldn't register it.
I wrote to Jack Wiley of Haptek & he informed me that they haven't set it up for 7 & would probably not do so.
That is why Haptek is where they are now.
NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:31:07 am »
That is very disappointing and I don't even have the program. I can only imagine the frustration you all have that have people putty and are stuck having to use it on outdated computers. Hopefully they aren't surprised by the lack of support for their new project on Kickstarter. If only we had the Ogre 3d engine working.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 05:34:29 am »
Yep...I went through the same with Jack, who was very nice, but despite trying various suggestions from him at the time, I was unable to get People Putty to accept my registered Serial / Activation Number.

It's not like developers didn't know Windows 7 was coming. There was time to prepare but it seems like someone really wasn't overly concerned with the issue.

- Art -

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 06:25:31 am »
I think it was more a breakdown of management.
The people up top couldn't agree or compromise which led to the downfall.
Just my opinion.
I could be totally wrong.

DemonRaven

• View Profile
    • chatbotfriends
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 12:25:13 pm »
It is too bad they are not improving it for newer versions of windows as it is a pretty simple program to use as far as graphic programs go. Some of the other ones are  outrageously expensive and some of the free ones  are  hard to learn because they are too complicated or use too many of their technical terms and forget most regular people  don't use those terms so you spend most of your time just looking up the definitions.