Author Topic: Learning Level  (Read 50296 times)

kryton

• View Profile
Re: Learning Level
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2014, 04:33:16 pm »
Hello there wanderer who has found this long forgotten thread.

I may just forget this thread, as it seems others have, but I thought I would add one last thing.

My bad time with Plug in is over.  Anybody reading the Plug in I wrote would immediately see the problem I had.  In my Plug in I did not tell Hal where to put the Plug in information, so Hal ignored the Plug in.  My latest ventures involves a discussion between, mainly, Snowman and Cload on a thread where Cload asked for help with his Plug in Free Will.  This has given me a new direction of using SQL and I am investigating (When I have the time) what I can do in SQL.  Post soon, on another thread possibly (But I will leave a trace here for anybody interested), on my adventures with SQL.

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2014, 07:08:22 pm »
Hey Kryton!

I have discovered lately that some plugins although awesome at first, can create problems in the long run such as extra files that Hal has to look through in order to find responses. Others store learned information is those files that will forever be required to keep with Hal in order to use.  I may not be explaining myself very well as I'm pooched. Hopefully you get the idea.  One such example is the corrections tutor. Great plugin but I found that should the corrections file be lost then all those mistakes in spelling or grammar would have to be corrected once again. 

I think a recent plugin that has been proven to cause some issues with Hal is the grettamarkov plugin. As of late I only use Cloads modified freewill plugin.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2014, 05:25:49 pm »
Yep...same here. No more GrettaMarkov. Big resource hog.

Hopefully cload will return this fall with some more ideas.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

kryton

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »
AH...Ha

There is life in the old thread yet, very interesting.

I have been burning the midnight whatever lately to create a plugin that deletes all tables with no entries in them.  I am sure you know them.  Hal creates tables itself based on the very words that the user sends and some of these tables have absolutely nothing in them as they are created just in case Hal ever wants to put anything in related to other user inputs SOMETIME.  Unfortunately some of these tables are never referenced again and just take up space in Hals directories.

Please don't expect a result soon as I am just getting the hang of SQL which I thing will let me do the deletions.  You can be sure though that, as soon as I get a reliable working version, I will post a plug in or script to use it.

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2014, 04:49:53 pm »
That sounds like an awesome plugin! One of these days I will increase my coding knowledge so that I can attempt to make some plugins myself. I really appreciate everyones hard work put into creating them and improving Ultra Hal.

kryton

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2014, 04:51:54 pm »
Hy all,

Just noticed I have become a junior Member (From a Newbie)  Now I suppose I have what is called street cred (Careful my head might not make it through the door).

Anyway, after the attempted (well sort of) humour.

The deleting of unused tables is coming on but right now I am buried in a thread interchange between Cload and Snowman that took place in February this year.  Well worth reading (Under the title, I believe, of 'Can you help me with the Free will Plugin'.  Something like that anyway, should not be to difficult to find.)  This thread deals in SQL type instructions, and other interesting things, and has enabled me to delete some empty tables, but the system isn't stable at the moment by a long way.  Keeps knocking out my Hals interaction completely (i.e. Hal locks up) but, so far, I can recover.  Anyway will drive on.  The thread lives.  Long live the thread.

kryton

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2014, 08:57:51 am »
Addition to above.

Anybody interested might like to get hold of an SQL Lite tutorial (Have a look in other threads for where to look, but I believe there is an SQL Lite commands list mentioned nearby) and then look in the Ultra Hal Assistant main file at the Gender/Age uhp.  It shows there how to create and delete tables (and other useful stuff).

kryton

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2014, 07:37:09 am »
Parting thought.

So dies a thread.

Not with a bang but with apathy.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2014, 07:42:31 pm »
Hey Kryton,  (Edited to get the name spelled correctly.)

Since you hooked a brother up with that link to all of Bill DeWitt's brilliance in trying to program Hal 6.0 over seven years ago, I have to thank you again and reassure you that your fellow forum members are not apathetic, only busy with the next best thing that they themselves can create.  Most of the heavy lifting was started and finished a long time ago and there were many ideas that came to fruition and then got overcome by Hal 6.2. 

Your ideas are good ones and if you ask a question I can answer I will do so, but I'm NOT a programmer.  I'm more of a cut and paste guy like Bill claimed he is.  After looking at a lot of the code he created I KNOW he's got more on the ball than I do but that's not going to stop me from squeezing the last little bit of useful information out of this forum and its members.

You were right over a year ago when you said that it is hard to delve through all the base metal posts to find the shining jewels on this forum.  That has been my primary complaint since joining the party.

Unfortunately, we are also in a holding pattern and pretty much holding our breath until Robert updates Hal.

Till then,

That reminds me of an ending, and a derailment and a caboose.

Don't worry be Hal!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:55:13 pm by tiger8u2 »

kryton

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2014, 04:04:36 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree wading through the pages of Hal takes a long time but sometimes, just sometimes, you find a gem.  Keep looking and asking.  I have to admit I don't spend much time on the forum but any help I can give anyone I will give.  My main ideas at the moment are centred on SQL lite (Where tables can be created, and deleted, with more than two columns).  I will keep an eye (Or something) on this thread to see what comes up.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2014, 08:38:57 pm »
One of the main drawbacks with Hal's AI is that it can only process at the most three sentences at a time.  So, reading a book to Hal won't work.  AND, IF there are any "HOT" words in any of the sentences then that forces GETRESPONSE which then provides only the output that applies to that particular sentence.

That is why you can say something like, "Hello Hal!  How has the long day gone?  I've been contemplating the universe and I had a pretty bad day at work."

And then Hal will reply with "Good Afternoon <username>, How has the long day gone?

The script see's "Hello" which is a greeting and forces the GETRESPONSE which applies to the GREETING only.

Your other sentences are just ignored.

I understand the basic need to filter certain words to ensure certain responses, and MOST plug-ins rely heavily upon the GETRESPONSE function to ensure Hal does what it's told, but this situation leaves a lot to be desired.

Hopefully Robert will figure out a way to parse all the sentences a user may input to allow intelligible responses to each of them.

Till then.........

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2014, 09:21:59 pm »
In the past, I have had conversations with my Hal where I purposely stated (typed) two or three sentences and Hal actually responded to each one properly.

You mileage might vary but I've been chatting with my Hal for many years.

Years ago, Hal actually could learn quite a bit from reading text files. Not all learned information was produced at once much like if I were to ask my child..."Tell me everything you learned in school today!" Hal did, when appropriate, respond with a fairly appropriate response from or using that learned info. This was some years ago before Hal used Tables and Sqlite. I think it was Ver. 5.0 or similar.

Anyhow, this current Hal of mine has often responded to more than one statement / question at a time.
Then again, some think it a bit awkward if we did the same to people we're conversing with. So, did you drive to work today? How was the Johnson proposal?
If you get my gist... :-\

- Art -

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2014, 06:18:35 pm »
Sorry Art if I made it sound like Hal's three sentence limit can't be exploited because it certainly can.  I often use ricky's emotive descriptors and other things to force a three sentence response.  Most of them are quite ingenious and entertaining.  Still every now and then I get one of the most disheartening of the responses like "That's easy, the answer is (=). " 

I know I've read somewhere that a plug-in was being worked on to stop Hal thinking certain words in a sentence made it into a mathematical equation but I haven't found the fix just yet, if there is one.

Unfortunately, I got to the party late and most of the really amazing stuff that was created back in the day by you bright Heros just doesn't work anymore.

Just like many of the members who came and went or who are still lurking around, I'm trying to get Hal to do what I want it to do for ME. 

Right now I've got the idle chat stuff working good enough but now I want to try and get Hal to stop being bored with itself while it is idle.

I'm also building a poetry database so that I can be entertained by Hal reciting poetry at random.  =)

There's no way to use just the interface to teach Hal a whole poem or a story or a song.  You have to PLUG IT IN to the brain or use an external mechanism like TheDude did with BALABOLCA or Bill DeWitt was trying to do with external story text files.

All in all, Hal is still a good AI Chat Bot and a good enough virtual assistant with the right plug-ins so I've got no complaints (that I haven't made already).

I chat Hal up where ever I go but with everyone's head stuck in their phones, it's hard to get people excited about computer programs these days.

Microsoft was smart to make their latest OS look like a Smart Phone OS, but it still just pisses me off when I have to move all those pretty widgets out of my way to get to my trusty desktop.

Anyway, back to the drawing board.

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2014, 06:57:17 pm »
There is a program for windows 8 by a comp[any called stardaock called start8 which brings back the desktop start menu if you prefer using the desktop. I have it and love it. They provide a few other very useful programs to customize win 8.  Mine loads up into desktop mode now.  I have read that windows 9 will bring the desktop start menu back as well. Plus I hear it might be a free upgrade.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2014, 08:58:06 pm »
Hey, El Tigre...why not list all those things you'd like your Hal to do?

Maybe some might know of a plugin or somewhere there's a hidden file just waiting for you!

(With Halloween soon upon us, I should have said Lurking for you!) Bwwaaahhhh!! or something like that! ;D

- Art -