Author Topic: HAL is talking to himself  (Read 3527 times)

questordan

• View Profile
HAL is talking to himself
« on: March 18, 2002, 11:17:30 pm »
Also is there a way to turn off the microphone temporarily when HAL is speaking? I know that a headset mic is a solution, but I would like to use the standard desktop mic that happens to pickup HALs voice as well as mine.

Questordan

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2002, 11:34:45 pm »
Unfortunetely no. Hal was designed to be specifically used with headset type microphones and we don't reccomend using desktop microphones. Usually when people use desktop microphones the speech recognition accuracy is very low. For example, for many people the sound of the computers power fan being picked up by the mic makes the engine think you are saying "this this this this this..." Do you get good accuracy with your desktop mic?

Robert Medeksza
Robert Medeksza

rciafa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2002, 05:55:49 am »
quote:

Also is there a way to turn off the microphone temporarily when HAL is speaking? I know that a headset mic is a solution, but I would like to use the standard desktop mic that happens to pickup HALs voice as well as mine.

Questordan

I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH ALL DIFFERENT MICS AND ROBERT IS RIGHT WITH THE
HEADSET. THE BEST I FOUND WAS TO POINT THE MIC DOWN TOWARDS THE KEYPAD, AND KEEP THE AUDIO LEVEL LOW SO HAL CAN'T HEAR HIMSELF.
RICHY

questordan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2002, 07:42:40 pm »
Its curious that you ask.  I definitely get better accuracy with the Word Dictation setup that IBM has compared to using the same desktop mic with version 4.0.

The accuracy on the IBM word setup is better than 90 %...I would say.

9 words out of 10 are correctly recognized.

Thanks for your response.