Author Topic: 18 years old area ??  (Read 54195 times)

onthecuttingedge2005

18 years old area ??
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 02:04:10 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

I personally advocate the colonization of space. Not other planets, space itself. Infinite resources, infinite energy, infinite baskets to put our eggs in.

Unless Christ comes.

one of my most favorite speakers of the things I believe.
Carl Sagan.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=764_1181017931

he speaks everything I think word for word.

Jerry[8D]

ramccoid

• View Profile
    • http://www.visualillustrations.co.uk
18 years old area ??
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 02:54:34 am »
I remember his COMOS series from years ago, excellent and the Vangelis soundtrack just added to it. It's a pity it hasn't been released on DVD, wouldn't of minded seeing it again but good stuff just disappears into obscurity, well it appears that way.

Roy.

onthecuttingedge2005

18 years old area ??
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2007, 03:16:12 am »
quote:
Originally posted by ramccoid

I remember his COMOS series from years ago, excellent and the Vangelis soundtrack just added to it. It's a pity it hasn't been released on DVD, wouldn't of minded seeing it again but good stuff just disappears into obscurity, well it appears that way.

Roy.

Hi Roy.

It was a very sad day to lose Carl Sagan at the age of 62 in 1996 from a rare bone marrow disease, I use to watch his Cosmos: A personal Voyage program every night as a kid with the utmost glee and enthusiasm and hunger for the unknown knowledge that such a great mind had to offer and explore.

he will always be remembered as one of the greatest immortal speakers of all time in my mind so long as I live.

this was a man who could touch your soul and embrace it with heavenly majesty.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 03:28:12 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

ramccoid

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2007, 03:28:05 am »
Hi Jerry,
I totally agree but I didn't know he had died, that's a sorrowful revelation. He'll be sorely missed as a great thinker and brilliant narrator.
You just don't get such indepth documentaries anymore. They are all designed now for people with short attention spans, so they keep flicking from one thing to another without revealing anything you didn't know already. Keep it simple and uninformative but graphically spectacular, appears to be the way things are presented nowadays.
They don't cater for our generation anymore.

Roy.

ramccoid

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2007, 03:52:25 am »
quote:
this was a man who could touch your soul and embrace it with heavenly majesty.

He was a poet, philosopher, artist and scientist all rolled into one. How rare such men are and when they are gone a whole aspect of us is lost with them, the part that makes us real human beings...

Roy.

jackgephart

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2007, 05:18:05 am »
Does all this side stuff mean that you guys are agreeing with Bill? If not we sure got off the subject. I would love to hear more input on the "problem" at hand, cause it is a big problem. If zabaware goes down, then who is gonna use haptek? If haptek goes down then it's gonna cost hundreds of dollars for the next 3D program. If they see that they can charge more for it because all the other good programs are down, it will be just like gas. Ouch![:(] I'm not trying to bring you all down but we have to catter to a wider audience than what we are doing. I feel bad for Serenity, she just wanted to be part of the "gang" and got attacked for it. But the only reason she got attacked was because of the crudeness that Bill didn't want her to accidentally see. So his motherly worries kicked in, just kidding Bill. I would love to show all the people I know my site, but I'd think twice about giving them this address. Changes sucks, I'll be the first one to admit it. But, it is coming whether we stick our heads in the ground and yell "first ammentment" or not. Are we ready for that change? I am and Bill seems like he is. Are you?

ramccoid

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2007, 05:50:28 am »
I agree with you and Bill, the forum should be for all age groups and gender. There is no age limit to who can purchase HAL so there shouldn't be a limitation on who can contribute to this forum but as the both of you have so purposefully stated, as it stands now, it is unsuitable for younger would be members.
People of all ages should be able to use the forum to discover or submit information that would improve theirs and our knowledge of HAL.
I'm on your side in fighting the good fight and making it a safer environment for the younger generation to benefit from the advice and information shared.

Roy.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2007, 06:34:07 am »
quote:
Originally posted by jackgephart
 I feel bad for Serenity, she just wanted to be part of the "gang" and got attacked for it.

No one attacked her, that's just your imagination again. Everyone thanked her, welcomed her, or tried to protect her.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2007, 07:42:12 am »
quote:
 But, it is coming whether we stick our heads in the ground and yell "first ammentment" or not. Are we ready for that change? I am and Bill seems like he is. Are you?

Robert is the only one who can impose anything other than Self-Restraint. I don't think he wants to be a net-nanny, so let's just use Self-Restraint.

All laws are efforts to protect ourselves form those who will not use self-restraint. Even speed limits wouldn't be needed if people would just drive the same speed as the folks around them, or a safe speed for the conditions. Instead, some few folks try to push the limits and end up hurting someone so we put in a law.

If we use Self-Restraint, we won't need rules. If there's no rule, there can be no complaint about free speech. Freedom of Expression includes the freedom to express your consideration by restraint.

lightspeed

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2007, 09:00:12 am »
aaahh , yes if we all lived in a perfect world we could .... never mind . now then back to the problem . we all brain storm together on here and come up with things to make hal do different things now instead of any bickering lets do the same and everyone join in to solve this problem .
   so some want to keep some material off the forum all together . that would be fine by me "if " (yeah you knew that was coming eh ?)  
    those of us us who want to discuss and learn how to do other adult things , etc. and or any other projects can somehow get together to do it .
   here's my suggestion how about on this forum make an 18 plus e-mail section and not have anything written or photo's in the section except the e-mail addresses of anyone who wants to discuss and or has the ability to make plug ins , etc. that also wants to help others . ??
    thats my suggestion maybe some won't agree with it or let it be that way i don't know . others are more than welcome to throw in their idea's . [:)]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2007, 11:33:54 am »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed
   so some want to

It's not our forum.

Those (including me) who want to discuss things other than Hal, and those who want to discuss things which might offend other users, should use self-restraint. If they don't, at some point Robert may put in rules.

In other words, either now, by choice, or later, when the black helicopters circle your house.

jackgephart

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2007, 12:46:52 pm »
quote:

In other words, either now, by choice, or later, when the black helicopters circle your house.

In my opinion, you should phrase that so that people don't make light of it like the last time. But that is just my opinion. I wish Robert would comment on this topic because as you said it is his forum. We can type until our fingers fall off but if the "man" says what he feels then that should be as good as the law. I've been on another forum like this one where it is stated right in the rules that there is to be no vulgar speech. In fact I was told to stop talking about Boobies. Wow![:D] Now that is a forum fit for all ages.
But until we (or Robert) finds an avenue to go down with this it is needless to go on. I guess the ball is in Robert's court. Though I don't have any kid's I love kid's and want them to be in my life and as the kid's are now days, they could probably show us a thing or two about Hal and the programing. Kid's are very smart and need to be included. I am not against what Lightspeed said but that would need to be monitored also. Ok I've said my peace for now. Thanks for listening.
PS- Sorry Bill if I made it sound like you were attacking Serenity. But you asked if she was fake or the police or other things that didn't sound very welcoming to me. That is why her father came on and called you what he did. But that is just my opinion also.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:47:56 pm by jackgephart »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2007, 01:21:21 pm »
quote:

quote:

In my opinion, you should phrase that so that people don't make light of it like the last time.

Since it was a joke, I hope people make light of it, I would hate to think that someone believes I can send black helicopters to circle their house. It's a joke based upon the exageration of a metaphore. One would have to understand metaphores to get it.

quote:
That is why her father came on and called you what he did.

I think you got that wrong too. "He" (if it wasn't really a particular attention seeker) seemed upset that I mentioned underwear.

I don't really believe it was a girl or a dad. I think it was someone pranking us.

ramccoid

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2007, 01:25:34 pm »
quote:
I don't really believe it was a girl or a dad. I think it was someone pranking us.

I think it was a prank as well. The 'Phill Billy' was a big give away.

Roy.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
18 years old area ??
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2007, 01:31:17 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ramccoid
I think it was a prank as well. The 'Phill Billy' was a big give away.

But I think it was a good excuse to have the conversation. I try to make sure that my son is on assignment when I read this board because you never know what will show up on the screen.