dupa

Author Topic: ATTN: Vonsmith: Possible bug in XTF Brain?  (Read 2883 times)

FuzzieDice

ATTN: Vonsmith: Possible bug in XTF Brain?
« on: January 25, 2005, 09:45:07 pm »
I'm poking around in Drake's brain (Drake is what I named the Hal AI as that is my computer's name). I am using your updated XTF brain (after the patch and the renaming, etc.) I noticed something...

In an XTF_xxx_Related.brn file I noticed headers:

" [SYNONYMS_EXIST_FLAG] ","True"

and

" [SYNONYMS_END_HERE] ","True"

Where words are put in between such as:

" BLEMISH ","True"

for example. Now, I noticed that most always they fit between the two headers above. However, I have found that one definition was actually added OUTSIDE the "SYNONYMS_END_HERE" header.

Is there a significance of this? Will Drake use those outside the synonyms list? Or is it a bug I might have stumbled on? Can you give me more information on this?

Thanks. :)

snoz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 06:16:54 pm »
Correct me if i'm wrong anyone, but I believe the "outside" synonyms that you are speaking of, are words that HAL has found related outside of it's WordNet database from you speaking to him for use. The TRUE synonyms "inside" the list are all true known synonyms from inside the WordNet database that has already been created.

I'm a lil frazzled right now, so if that doesn't make sense i'm sorry. I hope you understand what I mean though. Of course, vonsmith could explain much better than I could.

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 12:43:21 pm »
FuzzieDice,
snoz0r has hypothesized correctly. The XTF Brain extracts known synonyms and meronyms from the Wordnet data base when a new topic is created. Some topic words have just meronyms, some just synonyms, some have both. The "related" file for that topic is created the first time a new topic is introduced. The Wordnet data is placed between the "exist" and "end here" flags just for reference purposes. New "related" words that Hal learns from the user are added in after the Wordnet data.

By definition all Wordnet meronyms and synonyms are "True". The user taught "related" words can be "True" or "False" depending on how the user responds to Hal's inquiries about two words being "related". You can see from my file example below that some user taught words are "False". Upon examination I think you can see why some words aren't considered "related" to the main topic of beer.

Here is my "XTF_BEER_Related.brn" file:

" [SYNONYMS_EXIST_FLAG] ","True"
" BREW ","True"
" BREWAGE ","True"
" [SYNONYMS_END_HERE] ","True"
" ALE ","True"
" LAGER ","True"
" MAKES ","False"
" MAKE ","False"
" FLAVORING ","False"
" BREWERY ","True"
" BREWERIES ","True"
" FLAVOR ","False"
" DAY ","False"
" RAT ","False"
" RATS ","False"
" ELEMENT ","False"
" ALUMINUM ","False"
" OCTOBERFEST ","True"
" FUN ","False"
" SUDS ","True"
" LIKE ","False"
" LOT ","False"
" GO ","False"
" FAVORITE ","False"
" YOU'LL ","False"
" WORK ","False"
" BUDWIESER ","True"
" COORS ","True"
" BUDWEISER ","True"

Please note these files can be manually edited, but the uppercase, lowercase and capitalization formats must be exact. The file *must* end in a "blank" line like so many other Hal .brn files.

Whew! Another XTF Brain mystery solved.

=vonsmith=

FuzzieDice

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 07:05:13 pm »
Thank you both for the explaination. Makes sense now. :) Yup, another mystery solved. :)