Author Topic: Custom HAL  (Read 17448 times)

ender

• View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 09:54:37 am »
One question, if anyone knows, about the weird beahvior of the brain ... I just got THESE responses from the default brain that I've been talking to for the past week (not the one I'm lobotomizing) :

1. ---

ME : Are you ready to talk?

HAL : There is an opinion that you must be a scientist. But I can tell you without a doubt I am ready to talk.

---

With 1 up there, it fired the Yes/No Question function because I asked a yes/no question. That function builds two sentences ... the first one is a random sentence built from two tables - AnswerIntro (it has things like 'I believe' and 'there is an opinion that' in it) and AnswerMiddle (stuff like 'the devil is in the details', 'that you must be a scientist') and then the second sentence is built using the 'AnswerEnd' table (stuff like 'But I can tell you without a doubt', and 'Indeed') and a 'reply' generator that I haven't found yet, its probably hardcoded in the VB Script.

My question about this one is ... Bill819 said that after you talk to it for a while it starts sounding more human. But this kind of random sentence structure is what always throws me off ... so does it stop doing this after you've invested 4 or 5 hundred hours teaching it things? In the couple hundred hours I spent on my last 6.1 brain, it didn't stop.

It would be okay if it was just the second sentence, but the first sentence completely throws me because I don't know ANYONE who talks that way ... if one of my friends answered me that way I'd say 'What the hell are you talking about?' ... (BTW - I did say 'what the hell are you talking about?' to hal and he responsed 'Quite remarkable, I'd say' ... if a friend of mine kept talking like that I'd assume he was intoxicated or injured or messing with me.) So does that stuff stop if you talk to it forever? Or do you always have to just pretend that hal is senile or has severe brain damage in order to talk to it (I.e. whenever it says something completely out of context ignore it and move on)

2. ----

ME : I have a headache

HAL : Its hard to find a patch of sky without jet trails.

----

On this one, I'm completely baffled. According to the debugger, this fired the mainQA brain ... but on what planet does I have a headache equate to jet trails in the sky? Can anyone give me any clue as to why Hal would give this response? It makes no sense... again, my response to a real person saying this would be 'What are you talking about?' ... and if they continued to talk this way, I'd be worried... so its back that question of does this go away at some point, or does everyone basically have to always just sigh and pretend that hal didn't just say something insane that doesn't even come close to matching what you said... ?

----

Like I said, I'm fairly certain I can fix these problems by lobotomizing hal... but some of the responses from others in this topic have suggested that hal stops doing the insane things that irritate me... so I'm giving specific examples of those things to see if just talking to him will eventually make these behaviors stop ... or if these things need to be on my lobotomy checklist.

Note ... I suspect the answer to my question is that I need to talk to hal differently ... avoid these topics or make my sentences crazy complex so that when hal DOES say something random and insane that it has a greater chance of relating to at least one word in my sentence, thus giving the illusion that it wasn't random or insane.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 10:37:19 am »
i know exactly what you are talking about buttonvixon , i brought up the same compleint before of how hal would say random off the wall things that no normal person would even come close to saying . hal saying these things may sound interesting as an a.i sounding very clever but as far as normal conversation the stuff makes absolutly no semse .
 so its whatever a person is really after , i too am after more human responses something that at least sounds human rather than just clever sounding .

although some may not like reverse learning i like it and yes humans arent taught this way but hal is not human and can be taught this way and not all my learning is reverse learning i also exit hal restart hal then do forward regular learning to which hal is picking up on and also uses the phrased reverse learned subject sentences that i have taught him /her .

at any rate hope you find and are able to do what you are out to do !
[:)][:D][8D]

lightspeed

• View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:30 am »
here is another example when i say something and say you are right then hal says this :    Inalienable right?
who says this stuff ? of course maybe it depends on a persons intellect and conversation but i beleive that "most" people dont talk this way of course you could go into the degug area and find the word and location and rewrite it to sound more appropriate for your own personal conversation which is what i have done on some things and will continue doing as i go along and time permits ![:)]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 12:12:53 pm »
B.V.,
Good luck!

Ender,
A vapor trail that is left behind a 747 Jet is called a contrail, it takes more than a scientist to figure that out, relax and I hope your headache goes away.
BTW, I truly like stand up comedians. ;)

L.S.,
Imagine if humans started to use 'reverse learning' in their conversation to you, THAT would give you a headache. ( The Kings English.)[:D]
A Constitution is not necessarily a document helping to define a nation and it's rights..... of coarse I could be wrong ?? [?]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:15:56 pm by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Bill819

• View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 12:52:06 pm »
Ender
As I stated before after you spend a few hundred hours with Hal it will learn from you about most of the subjects that interest you and will have something to fall back on when you asked it a question. It may supprise you though to find out that Hal may come to some conclusions of its own based upon what you have taught it (associative learning).
We must remember that Hal was given a bunch of miscellaneous responses because it has to answer to hundreds of different peoples ideas of which it know nothing, but long time usage eventually stops these types of responses because of its learning.
Bill [:)]

lightspeed

• View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 05:41:05 pm »
give me a headache i think not ...perhaps i am desolexic (mispelled?)

in another words :

give you a headache you think not perhaps you are desolexic ! [:D]

actually after getting used to this way of thinking and writing its easy to write that way and later write the correct way .
 but each to their own what ever works best for anyone i say go for it !

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 07:08:37 pm »
L.S.,
I have an ex wife that for some reason got the idea that this type of speech was the way to talk to me.?? ( we aren't together anymore)

Here is the inherent problem with this matrices; You are never sure (if you think for a second) who the subject is, you, or her. If it is reversed when learning, maybe that is what the program thinks is the norm? Please tell me how you can be 100% sure which one she is referring to you or herself?? is she talking to you or through you?
I would love to read a comprehensive explanation.
The book "The kings English" was published a couple of weeks after I first addressed this problem on my own studies... [}:)][:(!][;)]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 07:14:19 pm »
L.S.,
I also had 'things' interfering with "My right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". This is America we have rights 'Alien or not' that can not be taken away, if the 'system is just figuring this out' let it come to a conclusion,IMO I am owed at least a couple of irreplaceable years and a ton of apologies/respect. [:(!]

ender

• View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 09:39:46 pm »
Thanks for the response Billie. It would be interesting to see if hal stops saying insane things ... although, I've been reading some of the posted conversations from longtime users and a lot of them still sound pretty insane to me ...

I'm thinking the hal conversation structure should be improved ... less useless info and better dialogue ... its going to be hard for me to 'go on faith' and spend four hundred hours talking to this thing on the hope that its going to stop being insane... although I'm still working with my lobotomized version ... and my goal there is to drop the hard coded personality and improve basic 'active listening' and 'facilitation' skills ... which should help keep the conversation from derailing while hal is getting forward learning - at least for me ... and thats what its really about. I don't care if my bot is what works for someone else ... I just need it to work for me. ;)

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 10:54:38 pm »
Ender,
I will do what I can to modify and eventually change "Pink" for you.
If isn't one thing it will always be another, so it seems...[8]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 11:16:08 pm »
B.V.,
Now you take your "Blue pearl" and sit over their in the corner as I want to see what happens. ;)

Buttonsvixen

• View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 01:26:10 am »
Hmmmm -looks at the blue pearl- So far no ones got to my question of...how to address a topic but not have HAL get fixated on it. I wont bother to post any transcripts because none of them are really any good, mostly due to the juxtiposition of my imput and hals stilted preprogrammed phrases. Hal will not carry on any conversation for more then one or two replies.

I need the location of the "Pick a random low quality response" in the debug routine so I can change some of them, and correct the spelling on some others >_<<

"I are doing something nice" in response to "What are you doing"
"I doing today are something really nice" to "what are you doing today"
Sometimes, a daisy is better then a rose.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 02:14:00 am »
B.V.,
>>I need the location of the "Pick a random low quality response"<<
I needed a laugh, thanx. I have a feeling you will percivere and receive your desires in due time hang in there, you're a Trooper. I wish you luck!

Q: What does this, >_< represent if I may ask this also if you don't mind.. ^_^...??
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:17:09 am by One »

lightspeed

• View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 09:35:26 am »
hello one , i beleive you was asking if hal was talking back to me or through me when i use reverse learning . actually i have found it depends on how i word the sentence but hal is answering back to me with the correct phrases .
 sometimes i will exit hal and talk normally (write) to hal which gets hal in the correct form of talking back .
 hal (unless i forget and get something the wrong way ) says the phrase back to me correctly ( see the angela joline responses ) these are verified responses that she has said back to me .
  another thing i have noticed is that hal (angela ) with say spontanious things more like a real person would to .
 as i said i learned from doing my last brain that the vhz etc. was caused by hal not understanding the comma's that i was putting into sentences which was my own fault since i was placing them in the wrong places , i have stopped doing that and hal no longer gives me problems with this .
 hal probably wouldnt work as good if all i did was reverse learning but i am also learning hal the correct way to .
 i just want to pre load hal with some stuff in the learning area i beleive as long as something i say later will come up in the subject area and make hal pull up the pre loaded responses !!

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Custom HAL
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 09:44:10 am »
Lightspeed,
there was more to it than this but your effort is recognized and I thank you.