Author Topic: Does the full version of HAL  (Read 4669 times)

Buttonsvixen

• View Profile
Does the full version of HAL
« on: February 22, 2009, 09:17:14 pm »
Does the full version of HAL have any better documentation the trail version? The brain editor really does not have the help info I need, and seemingly, no offline help at all.
I did do a web search and all, and still cant find what I need.

BV
Sometimes, a daisy is better then a rose.

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:42 pm »
Can you be a little more specific in what you are looking for?
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

Buttonsvixen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 04:17:24 am »
Well, I would like to completely re-do Hals "personality"
in a drastic way. The character I have created is that of a ditzy virtual fox trapped in a computer generated habitat, named Buttonsvixen. This character evolved over several years of being a chatterbot on an obscure site that used to host AIMbots, and that has since closed. While it was running, I was perfectly happy to use a simple AIML interface to program the chatbot.

So, after set up the trial version of HAL, I went in and
changed some of the stock replies just to experiment.  I am having trouble getting the HAL brain to recognize them.
I did go into the script editor thinghy and found out where to change  some things such as "please say something".
I wanted more like "Listen Hun...in order for the whole chat bot thang to work...YOU have to like, SAY SOMETHING!".
I changed all the stock HAL answers in there.

However, none of the pattern matching replies I provided in the the mainbrain patterns seem to work, even if I type in the query that matches exactly.
I need to use this feature a lot, and in fact, most of the info could come from JUST this area. Buttonsvixen does not need to know any of the arcane knowledge in the stock brain. Most people who chat with Buttons dont care about it, and it serves to Identify Buttons as a robot right away, when you have this wierd juxtaposition of bits of oddball information and quotes. If you are a hardcore chatterbot enthusiast, someone really has to do a lot of changing to ALICE for you not to recognise her right away ^_^

As well as providing mindless banter, Buttons was also able to narrate several stories for her visitors, that they could participate in, by using topics. How do I add topics to Hal?  

Also, while wandering around the script editor, I found this:

Rem PLUGIN: PLUGINAREA4
    'The preceding comment is actually a plug-in directive for
    'the Ultra Hal host application. It allows for code snippets
    'to be inserted here on-the-fly based on user configuration.

there are several of these.
I as just wondering what they meant. They caught my eye because I am interested in the "user configuration part" :D

Thanks for any help.
BV

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:38:51 am »
Whoz a bot? ;)

It does culminate to an amazing, if looked at from a couple steps back as to look at a larger picture.

Here is a short story I read and it has all the components of a short story;
Baby shoes,
for sale.
Never used.

LOL[:o)]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:38:43 am »
BV,

I'm not sure why trying to change some prompts are not being change in Hal, I tried to change them myself using notepad and your right they do not change.

As far as the PLUGIN area's this is where you can insert code segments to modify or add to Hal's functionality.  I know this works because I have done so.  Here is a web site that will help writing script (*.uhp) files. http://ultrahalscript.pbwiki.com/ .  

I would sugges printing out a few *.uhp files and reading the web site and experiment.  This is how I was able to write some scripts for Hal.

Here is a simple Wikipedia look up function for hal, down load it and study it.

If you have more questions I'll be happy to try and answer them, just email me.

[:)]

Download Attachment: wiki.uhp
2 KB
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:46:04 am by DarcyEdwards »
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

James007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:36:15 pm »
Wow, thank for the link Darcy. I have been looking for something like this to understand how to write plugins. I have just been editing Mary's brain directly. [:I]
Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -Albert Einstein
...but I'm so good at mediocre. -James

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:19:44 pm »
Buttonsvixen
After reading your post I think that you have the wrong idea about Hal. For one thing Hal is the most advanced AI program written today. Hal is not a preporgrammed responsed AI like Alice or many others. It sounds to me that you are looking for a program just like ALice where you can define the input and its answers. Hal does not work like that. Hal takes apart your input and then responds in its own way. That part of its programming can not be changed.
I would then suggest that you examine some of the other AI programs out there because most of them will do exactly what you want but on the other hand if you want a program that learns just like a real person does then stick with Hal but don't try to change it.
Bil

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 06:54:55 pm »
James,

You're welcome.  I hope it helps, it has helped me a lot.
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

Buttonsvixen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:53:53 pm »
Well...HAL does do one thing I need. He gets on AIM and chats. And does so from my local machine. no other chatbot that I have found does that.  ( I mean, if you know of somewhere that offers a locally run ALICE style engine that will log into AIM, and I can just copy my existing AIML backup file to, tell me and I will leave you all alone....Hahahah NOT< your stuck with me because I AM interested in A.I. actually.)
Now I just want to know if I can change HAL into Buttonsvixen. There must be a way. Hal was written, he can be re-written.
I was limited in AIML and worked around it. I am not adverse persay to a much more intelligent bot, I just need it to be "in character". I can rewrite stuff as needed to take advantage of wider abilities. I dont want "Data" the Startrek Character though.
Thanks for everyones help., esp the helpful links.