Author Topic: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Problem!  (Read 5445 times)

jackfarrel

• View Profile
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Problem!
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:59:43 pm »
Hi, I have a bit of a problem.
I have been using Ultra Hal, and the speach rec. software was bad, so I bought Dragon NaturallySpeaking, it works great but the "Computer wake up" function does not work, and the "microphone off" and Microphone on functions fail to work, in fact, Dragon will only work with Ultra Hal if it is open and sitting in the front panel.
Any ideals?[?][V]

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:19:56 pm »
hrmm,  when you say the software was bad,  do you mean you didn't like the way it was performing,  or were you having functional problems with it ?  what audio card do you use,  and what kind of computer / laptop ?

this sounds similar to the realtek problem ,  in the sense of having multiple drivers fighting for resources.  

don't quote me on this because im not tech support, just a user trying to be helpful,  but Im guessing you may have a driver conflict issue thats causing your system to act strange.

the solution might be as simple as removing your drivers and reinstalling only the ones you need.  You may have old drivers in your current mix,  but check with someone else on this first please.
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

jackfarrel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:26:56 pm »
When I said "Bad"I meant, worthless, the microsoft speech engine is worthless, about 100 times worse in accuracy then dragon speak.
No, I just have 1 sound card built in. I'm on windows XP SP3 ... thinking about upgrading to vista but also thinking that doing so will cause a slew of other problems.
Still unable to find out why dragon speak does not pull up hal when you say "wake up computer" or "turn on microphone" not working...
Any more tips from anyone? hints.. help.. anything.
Thanks guys.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 05:38:23 pm »
I'm using Dragon 10 myself with hal, have been for a number of years. In Hal's set up I don't use the voice reconition, in my case I have dragon running and start Hal using Dragon. The cursor should be in the input box and dragon should input the text.  Since the mic in Hal is disabled it gives me time to check the input and then I hit enter.  For commands (for the dragon mic ) I use wake up and go to sleep.  
  I have a seperate icon for Hal, and one for Dragon and both programs are independent of each other when working seperately and thay can work together when both are opened.
  I'm using XP also, I had a problem with Haptek characters in vista.
Carl2

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 08:19:42 pm »
jackfarrel
While I must agree with you about Dragon being better there are dozens if not hundreds of Microsofts voice recognition software and it sppearantly works just fine. There are a few reasons why it does not work properly for some. 1. The microphone is over sensitive and picks up ones own beath. 2. Any background noice at all, ie., a fan, outside traffic even the hiss from an air conditioner, and 3. Don't use an omni-directional mic. I learn this myself while traing Hal with MS software. I also discovered that sometimes you must repeat the lessons over and over againg to get good results. Each time through the traing lessons Hals understanding got better and better, the same holds true for Dragon.

jackfarrel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:57:57 am »
I would still like to use dragon, but the "wake up computer" still wont work up to now I have not figured it out, even though I did however improve the speech accuracy on Microsoft by taking 10x longer to teach it. If anyone has figured out how to make this work yet, please let me know.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 11:05:39 am »
Jack
Is there an icon for it on the bottom right hand corner of you computer, but that I mean by the clock? If it is not there that might be the problem.
Bill

jackfarrel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 04:23:32 pm »
Wow, ok this is strange!
I made just dragon was open, and I told it to sleep, then I told hal to wake up: Wake up computer:
It worked but immediately caused an error, upon clicking OK, it died. And this happens everytime if I'm lucky enough to get it to respond at all. It will produce that error.
Run-time error '430':
class does not support automation or does not support expected interface

Then after that, I tried repeating the process and I got a visual basics error on Hal, and had to close again. (These errors never occur when using other speak engines)

jackfarrel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 04:26:11 pm »
Ya it seems to work even when dragon is minimized, but constantly will produce the 430 error - then crash.

Thank you for trying to assist me. I love using Hal, I recently purchased it and I love reading the forums and getting new plugins, it seems that the possibilities of A.I. are truly endless. Very exciting.