dupa

Author Topic: I Don'r Want Program to be in the tray.  (Read 5917 times)

flamestar

• View Profile
I Don'r Want Program to be in the tray.
« on: May 27, 2007, 01:52:57 am »
The text to speech reader was going on and on reading text that I didn’t want read.  I looked in the tray near the clock but the icon wasn’t there. So found an icon in the start menu and clicked on it. Instead of it doing what I want it said look in the tray near the clock for an icon. Doesn’t it make sense to believe that if I clicked on that icon I wanted that icon to work? The only reason to send me elsewhere is arrogance. The program wasn’t in the tray. The only program I want in the tray is the clock but some programs insist on being in the tray because it’s cooler I guess.

The program was NOT in the tray. I wanted to turn off the program so I called up the task manager. It turns out that the speech to text program was NOT in applications, either.  No it was in Processes.  People who read this will realize that the program was not in the Tray or in Applications. Yet the answer I will most likely get will be, “If you want to call up the program just look in the tray next to the clock.”  

James Briggs

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:59:11 am »
quote:
Originally posted by flamestar
The only reason to send me elsewhere is arrogance.

Ah, by "arrogance" you mean "a bug". Sometimes MSWindows messes up, in the case of Hal, several times I have had it mess up in such a way that the Tray Icon was missing, so I thought it was not running.

So clicking on the Icon in the Quick Start menu brought up a message that I should use the Icon in the Tray. Shame on that program for not knowing that it was running but that MSWindows wasn't showing it's Tray Icon.

The fact that it was shown in Task Manager's processes shows you that it was indeed running, so clicking on the Quick Start icon should do something to let you know that it was already running. The author chose to type in a message that would help most of his clients. What arrogance!

Probably 90% of the time that message is accurate, if you click on the Quick Start icon while Hal is already running, you probably need to be told that there is an Icon in the Tray, the place used to show running programs which you don't want on the Desktop or taking up space on the ToolBar. Isn't that cool?

The other small percent of the time it is because something messed up. Since your post doesn't ask how to fix what is messed up, I will proceed as if you already know.
quote:
Yet the answer I will most likely get will be, “If you want to call up the program just look in the tray next to the clock.”

Your last sentence predicts what I will answer. However, people who read this will realize that you were wrong. The only reason to predict how I (or anyone) will respond to you is you thinking you are smarter, wiser or generally "better" than we are. To use your lingo... "A bug".

Good luck with your future endeavors.

PaleRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 09:18:55 am »
When the reader reads things I don't want read I turn it off
from the tray then turn it back on when needed it would be nice
to see a stop reading option in the future.

As for it not being in the tray you might what to invest in a
Registry fixer like registry mechanic or Reg sweep like i did
they solved a lot of problems for. Hope this helps you.[:D]
Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly.

flamestar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 07:09:04 pm »
Thank you for proving me wrong. You are one of the few humans answering user inquiries. It seems ironic that the site that sells intelligent software uses a human to deal with customers while the rest of the companies on the internet use computers.

In any case I still have a problem with the program running in the Task Manager in Processes rather then Applications. I don’t think you can blame Windows for this one.

Also I would like to test some voices but your site is unstable and every time I try to sample a voice I get an error message and thrown off of the internet.

I use the program all the time and love it but once I use it it will end up on the tray. I just wish it was in applications where it belongs. .

Can’t anything be done?
James Briggs

Maviarab

• View Profile
    • http://3d-fantasyportraits.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:51:25 am »
quote:
It seems ironic that the site that sells intelligent software uses a human to deal with customers while the rest of the companies on the internet use computers.

What is ironic? We are forum members. We do not work for Robert therefore you are his customer and not ours. We are here simply to discuss ideas, help others and try and make Hal better.

quote:
Also I would like to test some voices but your site is unstable and every time I try to sample a voice I get an error message and thrown off of the internet.

The your computer is at fault. Anytime your are 'thrown off the internet' it is not the probelm of the site but your own hardware.

quote:
I use the program all the time and love it but once I use it it will end up on the tray. I just wish it was in applications where it belongs.

Why must it belong in applications? What exaclty is your real problem with it being where it is?

I would seriously suggest taking Paleriders comments into hand, it really does suggest from what you havew said that your registry is in all kinds of trouble. Maybe a complete windows reinstall would be a good start too?
AIDreams...The new home of the Digital Girl

www.aidreams.co.uk

flamestar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:20:29 am »
What is the problem having it run in applacations rather then tasks? A lot of important things run in applacations and clicking the wrong program might create a problem. Moreover I have a hard time finding HAL in applacations and if it were in tasks it would be easy.
James Briggs

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 11:51:44 am »
quote:
Originally posted by flamestar

What is the problem having it run in applacations rather then tasks? A lot of important things run in applacations and clicking the wrong program might create a problem. Moreover I have a hard time finding HAL in applacations and if it were in tasks it would be easy.

Hi flamestar.

double clicking the ShutDownHAL.vbs will terminate the HalAsst.exe in processes for you.

unzip it to your desktop for easy access.

Jerry[8D]

Download Attachment: ShutDownHal.zip
840 Bytes
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:44:37 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »