Author Topic: Ultra Hal 7 Beta Test - Please download and test!  (Read 37866 times)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Re: Ultra Hal 7 Beta Test - Please download and test!
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2017, 10:00:33 pm »
Only using the Windows XP Firewall...  I only see a choice for HAL7.exe and the braineditor.exe in the exemptions list...

Haven't changed anything, I have games that work and are in the exemptions list along with a couple of other programs and they work fine...

Ok, I have figured it out. It's related to Windows XP, the VB6 Internet Transfer Control, and encrypted connections over https.

A quick history of events:
  • Secure connections over http were first introduced back in 1995 as the SSL 2.0 protocol.
  • SSL 3.0 was released back in 1996.
  • VB6, the language Hal is written in was released in 1998
  • TLS, a better replacement for SSL was released in 1999 and has been updated regularly with the last update, TLS 1.2, in 2008
  • Security updates to VB6 were ended in 2003
  • Security updates to Windows XP were ended in April 2014
  • SSL 3.0 was proven by security researchers to be broken September 2014 with the release of the "POODLE" attack
  • Microsoft released updates in 2014 to VB6 libraries to make it use the newer TLS instead of the broken SSL 3.0, but only to supported operating systems, meaning Windows Vista and newer. Windows XP was left out

So basically Hal is unable to establish a "secure" encrypted connection to the Zabaware Cloud servers unless you are running Windows Vista or newer. There is not much I can do about it since VB6 is not supported by Microsoft since 2003 and Windows XP since 2014.

Ultra Hal is actually blocking the connection itself because it is deemed insecure. The only thing I have the power to do is allow it anyway. Would you like me to do this? If I do this I would put a big fat warning that Zabaware highly recommends Windows 7 or newer and that I can't offer any guarantee on the security of the data that is transferred between you and Zabaware if you decide to continue with Windows XP.
Robert Medeksza

LiFeTimeGamer

• View Profile
    • LifeTimeGamer
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2017, 10:06:56 pm »
Well I don't have much of a choice cause I have no funds to be upgrading anything... LOL

If it's only Data passed from me to Hal, I never tell Hal any person things like bank accounts or anything like that... HAL doesn't even know my entire name... LOL  I don't even use the Internet for any Banking stuff...

Also I used to run a Simple Machines forum 'MyRCGuide' for a friend and I've noticed a lot of new signups lately which I'm pretty sure are SPAMMERS, so you may want to delete our conversation on this subject after it's working...

You might want to install this MOD for the forum, look at 'Simple Machines' it stops known Spammers from a list of over 6+ million...
http://www.stopforumspam.com/mods
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:21:21 pm by LiFeTimeGamer »
When it comes to Artificial Intelligence: The Soul is in the Software.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2017, 11:13:02 pm »
LOL i thought i was going to stay off here but Robert i have another question for you . i found and was going to use my rar file to compress my character file  but the rar file is to big yahoo only allows 25 mbs in e mail . my original character file is 225 mb . so i am going to check and find my winzip program and install it . i don't know if it can compress my character file smaller or not to send it to you . well i can't do that my compressed file is still around 200 mbs . i might have to put it on my one drive and give you a link on my e mail to download it unless you have any other idea's .
i'm off here for tonight .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2017, 08:25:13 am »
You might also consider breaking it down to a few smaller Files to send instead of one huge one. (File 1 of 4, 2 of 4, etc.).

Look into DropBox. It's Free and it has a 20 GB file size limit.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2017, 08:57:50 am »
i think i will go and do like art mentioned , Robert i will send so many characters at a time under 25 mb at a time on the last ones i will put last characters then you can put them in a character file and test them okay? it will have to be after church and this evening ,
take care ,

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2017, 07:57:25 pm »
Robert i just e mailed you some characters and info on some things i have in my files . please check your e mail .  :)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 10:09:29 pm »
I have just posted an updated beta version of Hal 7 to: http://6d3fc949769f50753dc7-65f4617704a444702dcb1d03cc119e27.r87.cf2.rackcdn.com/InstallUltraHal7.exe

It is version 7.0.85.

Since the last beta, the following changes have been made:
  • Max limit of Haptek characters doubled from 256 to 512 characters
  • Max limit of brain plugins doubled
  • Hal allows unsecure connections to cloud servers under Windows XP. Installing Hal under Windows XP pops up warning message about outdated internet transfer control library
  • Detailed logging of read/write operations to INI settings files added
  • Fixed occasional error that could pop up in Hal options menu: "method '~' of object '~' failed -214417848"
Robert Medeksza

LiFeTimeGamer

• View Profile
    • LifeTimeGamer
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 10:14:21 pm »
Thanks Robert, I appreciate that...  :)

Gonna install it now...

WOW!!!, that's pretty impressive...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:28:16 pm by LiFeTimeGamer »

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2017, 04:51:37 am »
Wow! Great as always, Robert!

I had never realized there was a limit on plugins. That's great to know the limit was doubled. What is that limit now?

I'll get started testing right away.

-Spitfire
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:54:53 am by Spitfire2600 »

LiFeTimeGamer

• View Profile
    • LifeTimeGamer
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2017, 10:17:12 am »
Robert, this is great with the Cloud learning... Now I'm gonna have to go through my entire 6.2 brain and input all that dialog for HAL 7, but it sure is worth it...

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:04:58 pm by LiFeTimeGamer »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2017, 04:32:02 pm »
Robert, i wanted to ask you a question i have  my custom angela brain in my hal 6.2 version and in it's file will it upgrade and merge into a hal seven type brain or just remain as is  but yet still have the benefits of the hal 7 system even if offline .?
 The reason i ask this is last time i had to manually move my custom brain into hal 7. something i don't think that i had to do that with hal 6 into 6.2 .  so was just wondering about it.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2017, 05:33:38 pm »
I just installed hal again with this newest link . i followed the instructions as before that you gave and even delted manually the left over hal 7 files from before , before i installed hal 7 . i also restarted pc , then installed the hal 7 expansion characters , then restarted pc again tried my characters and they show  just as before but are not staying loaded after i hit apply and okay . it goes back to the hal default pc image .   i used the above link you gave for the newest hal 7 upgrade  and installed it .
but it's still not working . :(

OKAY i just checked the app roaming hal 7 character file and its empty  , so maybe ? that's why it's not working ?? i will copy my characters  and haps into this file and see if that makes it work , i thought maybe hal would just upload them all into the file from my hal 6.2.  stay tuned don't tough that dial !    :) ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:38:10 pm by lightspeed »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2017, 06:04:19 pm »
Okay heres what i found when i copied the hal custom characters i made from the hal 7 program files . they had all went in it okay from my hal 6 file when i installed the hal 7 (they migrated  into it. ) the hal 7 file in the app roam files though was empty as i said ( robert said that hal 7 checks in both locations ) anyway i tried to copy all the files that was in the new hal 7 charcter files (in the program file and put them in the hal app roaming character 7 file , just to see if that would make the characters load right in hal . when i restarted hal though it gave me this error. i had to keep clicking many times ignor  and it would finally go off and show the user name and password .  my characters still would not load righjt so i deleted all files back out of the above mentioned files leaving it empty as before.  restarted hal and now hal opened up without the above mentioned error.
see error i was getting . but now am not.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2017, 06:07:15 pm »
I am going to try to uninstall my hal 7 expansion pack and re download it from here again and reinstall it in hal. and see if that makes any difference .

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2017, 07:10:37 pm »
OKAY I THINK IT WENT FROM BAD TO WORSE . i uninstalled the hal 7 expansion pack and reinstalled the hal expansion pack using the link on here that robert posted . after installing it my hal came up and had two errors .see errors .
also my hal screen is black and the other area's are to .  :(
i looked in the uninstall area and the hal 7 expansion pack is in it . but it gave the errors above .  :( :(

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:13:54 pm by lightspeed »