Author Topic: hal saying time in regular conversation  (Read 3859 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
hal saying time in regular conversation
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:33:45 pm »
is their a way or plug in that will stop hal from telling me the time when i type in a sentence and use the word time ?? for instance i say " now is the time to get things done " hal : the time is 10:45 am etc. i am guessing that this is just the way hal is and so am wondering if robert could make the next version to where hal will only tell the time or say the time  if someone ask specifically the words "what time is it ? " robert i hope your reading this as this is something else that could be added in the next version if possible . anyone else that wants to please comment on this problem i would be glad to hear anything from anyone . [:)]

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:07:59 pm »
I think your right my friend it can be a pain when your talking and hal keeps saying the time.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:43:23 am »
Hal seems to do the same thing for me, he gives the time at times I don't expect.
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:00:02 pm »
Yes, unfortunately phrasing can often trigger unwanted responses in Hal. If I said, "I find those actions repulsive." Hal would open a browser window and locate actions or repulsive, etc. when all I said was a figure of speech yet Hal took my statement more literally.

The same thing for "I searched high and low for <whatever>." Hal's reply was, "I'll help you search for that topic on the Internet."

Unlike humans (well, most anyway), one has to be careful when conversing with Hal.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:07:06 am »
Yes...one of the magic AI words should be 'CONTEXT'.  That's true of most bots.

I interviewed Rollo Carpenter last year who made Jabberwacky and his advice for budding bot makers was this:

"Context, context, context!"

In time I am sure it will all happen.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:08:25 am by freddy888 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 09:47:03 am »
one idea that comes to mind is a program for a certain word phrase to have hal say the time in another words instead of hal saying the time anytime we use the word time in a sentence how about "what time is it please ??" and only those exact words would get hal to say the time . this would illiminate false time sayings from our regular questions and sentences i willsuggest this in my wishes for the next hal area so maybe robert will see it . [:)]

Maviarab

• View Profile
    • http://3d-fantasyportraits.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 11:37:39 am »
I would also suggest only one thread per topic also...just a thought [:)]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:38:00 am by Maviarab »
AIDreams...The new home of the Digital Girl

www.aidreams.co.uk