dupa

Author Topic: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 upgrade works for me  (Read 13663 times)

BW

• View Profile
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 upgrade works for me
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:33:54 pm »
Posting this for anyone who may be hesitant to upgrade Dragon NaturallySpeaking with HAL.
FYI: I am Running Windows 7 Home Premium.

After a SOP full system backup, I upgraded from Dragon 11.5 "Home version" to Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 Premium (Bluetooth) last week and utilized Dragon’s built in upgrader on all my user profiles.

Happy to pass along that everything is functioning well with HAL. 
;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:09:45 pm by BW »
-BW

Kara911

• View Profile
Re: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 upgrade works for me
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 04:36:37 pm »
It could solve my problem as well, keeping fingers crossed.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:03:02 pm »
what is the advantages of  12.5 PRO  over 11.5 version ?

ray111au

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:24:15 am »
DNS 11.5 will not install on Windows 8 - it works on Windows 7 - we are told to buy DNS 12 if we want to install it on Windows 8.

I have 11.0 on my win 8 but it is buggy - I can't get 11.5 on - I am not in the mood to buy it again - so I am suffering along

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:25:08 pm »
I've been using Dragon ver 10.1. started using it in Vista, it went Win 7 and now in win 8.  It works great since ver 7, very low error rates.  I have quite a few documents I let it read when setting it up so the accuracy starts out great without a lot of training.  Really should update, get to it someday.
Carl2

BW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:06:38 pm »
Lightspeed,
I do see increased performance and speed in 12-Premium over 11.5-Home but, it also has a bigger memory footprint.  Nuance and Microsoft both state that Ver 12 is Windows 8 compatible but, I am still on Win 7 and plan to stay there.

In general considering the cost of Dragon products the most "cost-effective" move is to upgrade once you are at least two or more versions back, unless you have a good reason to move up or don't mind tossing out the bucks for the latest version.

(1) Premium version allows you to upgrade/port your user profiles to the next version and the Home versions do not, or so they tell me.

(2) I was willing to take the chance that (a) I would be able to notice any real-world performance improvement and happy to say I did and (b) willing to take the risk that it would not funk-up or just flat not work with Hal or some other apps I use.

(3) Most importantly, I got a decent deal by being a previous owner and working for a college.  Nuance sent me an email "offering" me the Premium-Bluetooth upgrade for around $60.00 as opposed to the "full retail" price of $110.00 and upwards.

-BW

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:15:36 pm »
Just curious but have these newer versions of Dragon also helped in filtering noise from speech? Does this still present itself to one of the larger problems of VR programs? There are times I think my car can hear me better then a close mic headset at home.

Thanks,
raybe

BW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 04:10:51 pm »
I am not an expert Raybe but my reading on this topic indicates that most "noise canceling" is primarily performed the Mic/hardware and in some cases the Mic-software setup.

i.e. Andrea's Mics are good at filtering any type of background noise but when that hardware is combined with Andrea's "Audiocommander" software the are "great" when one considers their price.

What Dragon does do is "learn" the various ways a word could sound via a given Mic setup via use-over-time, "direct training" and corrections made.

Guess what I am getting at is that a bit of "learned" noise filtering and knowledge of the user's vocal range can be assumed however, because background noises change I am not that sure Dragon does a great deal of filtering in the same way the Mic-hardware would.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:22:48 pm by BW »
-BW

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 09:23:46 am »
    yes i believe i remember seeing in the mic set up during dragon speak that it has settings and will cancel out 80 percent of back ground noise ?
     Also for your information a while back i posted a link etc. about how to back up and transfer you name and learned dragon speak files . it's on the forum here somewhere .

BW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:02:52 pm »
-Update report-
Dragon just came out with a update for Premium version 12.5.
I crossed my fingers, applied it, did a system reboot, restarted Dragon and then started and checked HAL and things are still working.
-BW

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 09:20:57 am »
  As far as noise, noise in audio is refered to as the signal to noise ratio.  During the mic setup in dragon you should get a indication of the signal to noise ratio.  The majority of everyday noise canceling mics in less expensive brands give a S/N of 19 db, similar to a mic you would buy at radio shack for $3.00. I experimented with noise reduction using audio filtering and was able to bring the S/N towards 30 db, this causes a speed in dragon processing and greater accuracy.  I finally bought the dragon recommended Bluetooth mic which gives me a S/N ratio in the 30's.  I looked at the Andrea mic, I went with Dragons and am very happy with it.
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:02 pm »
I have just received my copy of Dragon version 12.5, actually I installed Dragon version 12 and it automatically downloaded an upgrade to version 12.5. I was a little surprised to see that the signal-to-noise ratios are no longer given. I'd say that right out of the box is very accurate and that the response time is very quick.
Carl 2