dupa

Author Topic: Can someone recommend me a SR for HAL?  (Read 3209 times)

doomed

• View Profile
Can someone recommend me a SR for HAL?
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:28:41 am »
Hi I purcheased Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 for the sake of using it with HAL, but stupidly didn't check the system requirements and it seems I can't install it on my computer seeing as it's old.
(didn't think SR programs would be so MEM and CPU intensive lol)
So can anyone suggest a SR program that will work on a machine with the following specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium III 733mhz
Memory: 384mb of PC133
O/S: WIndows XP Pro SP3 with everything up to date.

I can purchase a second hand copy of an older SR or a less resource hungry SR.
But if anyone can recommend what would be best suit my system.
(I game on consoles and my PC does everything I need it to so If we can refrain from the "Buy a new PC" comments thanks [;)])

I would be very appreciative for any help.
Cos crappy old MS SR (the 6mb one that's installed via a file called actcnc.exe)doesn't seem to work with HAL even though it shows in "his" menu.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:29:51 am by doomed »
I dream of a forum nirvana, where people stay on topic and actually read what others are saying.... A man can wish right?

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:13:51 pm »
You have another problem I started out running Hal on an old 486 machne with a lot less memory than what you have now. I have been trying to search my memory to see if I ever tried it on an old 386 machine too. To sum it up I have  never found a computer that Hal would not run on, towers, laptops, etc.
Bill

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 03:32:01 am »
Doomed
I was thinking about your problem and the limited amount of memory that you have. May I suggest that you look at the bar where the time is displayed. To the right of it are programs that are loaded and run in background and eat up some of your memoryl. You might just have to disable some of them to get Hal to run. That should not be a problem though and you can always start the m by clicking on their icons.
Bill

doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 12:35:34 pm »
Bill I have no idea what you are talking about???

HAL works ok on my PC, well apart from ver6.2 for now.

But this thread was about Speech Recogoniton software that will run on my computer for use with HAL. What you're talking about is waaaay off topic.
I dream of a forum nirvana, where people stay on topic and actually read what others are saying.... A man can wish right?

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:23:54 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking V.8 with no problems and I know that there are several others here that use it too. Don't know what to suggest except it might be your configuration setup. Try a new post with Dragon in the heading and you might get a faster response.
Bill