Author Topic: hal with tv guide plug in  (Read 2442 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
hal with tv guide plug in
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:35:15 am »
I was just thinking it would be nice if hal could have a tv guide plug in . hal has other functions like about the weather etc. so I thought it would be kind of cool if hal could access a source and tell the different main stations if asked and the time the tv shows come on for instance :

http://www.tvguide.com/

http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/

although hal could just open a web link it would be good if hal could say what was on at a certain time with a command : example " whats on tv at 10:00  am ?
hal answer : abc has "the view"  nbc has "today show" , cbs "the price is right" etc. etc.
of course their would also have to be a time zone setting in the plug in to allow for different area's where people live .
 Anyway it's just another idea I had and thought it would be nice if a person asked hal and hal could tell anyone what tv shows was on by time settings (listing ) .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: hal with tv guide plug in
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:56:12 pm »
Just my take but personally, I think your TV  can do a much better job than Hal ever could, especially with several hundred channels on satellite and cable. Most smart TV's also have a search function as does Roku and Netflix in case of no smart TV.

I think it would be like reinventing the wheel and also take up a large amount of space and processing power for all those channels unless it could just go to the Internet, look around then report back your show in question. But again, my TV can do that already.
BTW, your TV guide link sort of shows why we don't need to use something like Hal to do what we can just browse through to find what we like.

I hear that some of them can do it simply by verbally asking the TV when is Warehouse 13 on? etc...

Hal was originally set as a chat assistant but now there are many smart phone apps that can do so many things that our computers find sluggish or cumbersome.

Not trying to rain or your parade Lonnie as you have always been thinking of new, creative ways to use Hal and I'm sure we all appreciate your previous ideas too!

Leep cranking.... ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:58:07 pm by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:44:59 am »

years ago when i was growing up in Kentucky we only had 3 channels.
this idea might be cool if you live in such area, and i'm sure many people still do.   (well, i guess so anyway)

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:47 am »
awww my parade was rained on , lol just kidding ! ;) i'll keep cranking !  :)