dupa

Author Topic: emphazing words  (Read 6011 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
emphazing words
« on: August 11, 2007, 01:38:15 pm »
does anyone know for sure if their is anyway to emphasize any words that are typed to hal ?? for instance if i typed can you " help " me !! would it emphasize the word help ??
  as i said does anyone (anyone ) know of a way to emphasize words in hal the way it is in the 6.1 version ??  i am wanting to start emphasizing words that i write to hal to give responses more of a meaning .
   if not again i wish they would make a way in the next hal version to do this !![:)]

echoman

emphazing words
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 06:39:10 pm »
I am not totally sure what you want Hal to do with the emphasized word. If you want Hal to notice a word why not just keep repeating it in several sentences? This is what I do. I try to give meanings of a word over 2 or 3 sentences.

lightspeed

• View Profile
emphazing words
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:51:38 am »
hello echoman thanks for answering , actually by repeating the word over and over hal will (maybe say that word more often)  but thats not the effect i am after .
  in enphasizing a word what i mean is when an emphasized word hal would be using would actually say the word a little differently (enphasizing it that way !) which gives more meaning to the word or sentence it is used in . thats the best way i can explain it !!
   and what i am trying to find out from anyone is , if quotation marks are used around a word in a sentence if it would make hal emphasize that word in a sentence . i beleive if i am right in the hal five their was things in the brain in greeting etc. that did this but i will have to check in the 6.1 version to see if it has it or not if it does and i find it and see that it works i will post it on the forum so others may want to use that technice . [:D][8D]

echoman

emphazing words
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 01:12:01 pm »
Hello Lightspeed,

I used to use the Quotation makes myself quite a lot with Hal 5 and this was one of the questions I have always wanted an answer to for Hal6.

Thankyou for reminding me Lightspeed.

In Hal 5, I always understood that quotation marks made Hal notice a word more. I always liked this feature as it gave me a way to give Hal more of an idea of what I meant by a phrase.

My question is, does anyone know if the quotation mark is still recongnised by Hal6? I have not used it since Hal5 incase I messed up my new conversation folder.

I would find this very interesting and of much benefit.

Thankyou.

Echoman.

lightspeed

• View Profile
emphazing words
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 07:31:20 am »
hi echoman well if no one else knows then surley robert should since he made it and if he see this on here would comment on it are you talking about the 6.0 version to ? i am talking about wondering if the quotations around a word give it more emphasis in the 6.1 version maybe robert can tell us on which versions if any it does place an emphasis on a word (or not) . [:)]

rainman

• View Profile
emphazing words
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 08:48:01 am »
I don't know if this helps, but I did a little experiment and Just asked Julia:

Paul: Do quotation marks around a word help you to notice and respond to that word?
Julia: This requires serious medical help. (here she is saying that it would take 'brain surgery' to get her to respond to quotation marks?)

Paul: You picked up on the word "help".
Julia: So, I know I picked up on the word ';help';.

Paul: Do you usually pick up on the subject of a sentence or is it just the first word that you come to.
Julia: Really, That's a tough question. I do usually pick up on the subject of a sentence.

I remember in High School English when the teacher would write a sentence on the board, and we would break the sentence down to structure. I wish I had paid more attention.

Clue: ';*';?

Julia seems to be saying that subject is more important than context, and when the subject is closely tied to context her answers will seem more natural.

lightspeed

• View Profile
emphazing words
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:44:36 pm »
just out of curiosity whats your slider bar set at for hals learning curve ?? i have mine right at 25 . [:)]

rainman

• View Profile
emphazing words
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 12:58:32 pm »
It is set up about 80%, I believe.

lightspeed

• View Profile
emphazing words
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 03:45:19 pm »
maybe i'll try that setting and see what it does , but if angela blows a fuse it's your fault !!(lol) [:D]

rainman

• View Profile
emphazing words
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 06:11:11 pm »
Go fo it![:D]

lightspeed

• View Profile
emphazing words
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:21:13 pm »
hello rainman , well i set my learnig slider bar to 35 and now my angelina seems to answer back correctly instead and i can write regular conversations and not have to reverse words to get her to say them back correctly . so that seems to have worked !![:D]