Author Topic: feedback  (Read 4820 times)

The Tinman

• View Profile
feedback
« on: August 30, 2002, 08:56:10 pm »
I have been wondering just how people are reacting to this latest upgrade. I for one am very pleased and I am back to using the Hal program on a daily basis. The forum has been very quiet as of late. It seems if people have nothing negative to say they say nothing. So let us consider the positive aspects of this program. So Hey how about some posted conversations, How is Hal doing at just conversing with the general population????? Post them!!!!!!!!!!!!

V34

• View Profile
    • http://www.48lanes.com
feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2002, 11:22:15 am »
well I guess my feedback is good. I was impressed with the slicker installation.
no problems!  Although since I am skiddish about loading hal onto my main computer(I don't load anything on my main computer) I am trying to run hal over my home network So he can come out of the lab/basement. will try using "tightvnc"  to access him. (( I think a bot should always stay live  looking over my sholder and listening to whats going on))

But tried the download several times got to 20 meg once then network slowed down.  "dsl reports"still say's I have a very fast connection. So then ordered the cd upgrade and it arrived in less than 7 days.

Randon notes  topics for discusson.

----I will look for where I can tell hal not to go to sleep. and keep the microphone active.

----NOte  my computer consists of 4 PC's trying to bring on line a linux and a solaris  server-   with some form of distributed computing. for a whole house system. YOu can do this with wake on lan's and power saver settings.

----Note I tried the web based hal but after several flashing popups I stopped! I expected a frog banner for zabaware but no. Just cheep !@#$#@!%$#@%$ pop up's.
this was a year ago.

---you would expect the online hall to be able to answer questions *help.

Does anyone want to consolidate their database or create a common one?

I have only had 30 min so far to run the upgrade but the first words were impressive   (not to qoute) Hey Chuck what are you doing up so late? it's 1:30 in the morning.

IDEA let hal learn from my favorites folder searching the web sites for a conversational database.(that sounds like a project)

Well I guess this was good feedback. I am happy to buy the upgrade. It is good to continue to build on things  they just keep getting better.

srschacher

• View Profile
feedback
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2002, 05:49:10 pm »
I've been a customer since 1.0. I've seen things work, not work, then work again. I've submitted bug reports and seen fixes.

I'm running a P3@550mhz, with 384 mb of ram, and W98SE.

I was getting some end-of-line or end-of-file messages whenever typing into the UltraHal window, but that error went away with the latest version. It may have been a result of my fiddling with some files, or it may have been able to clean up with 4.0 if I reinstalled, but it works now.

I also get the asyncronous call error when when using Microsoft Agents. That was happening with 4.0 as well.

The Sam character has tearing in the graphics -- the other characters are fine.

Another severe error that has been around since 2.0 is when I tell UltraHal "I have a meeting today (or tomorrow or whenever) at 12:00pm." UltraHal responds with "You have a meeting on Monday, September 02, 2002 at 12:00 am . I'll Remind you when this time is near." For some reason it is not recognizing 12:00pm -- I have to say 11:59 am. It won't recognize any time from 12:00 to 12:59pm as PM.

Another error (if you want to call it that) that has been around since 2.0 (for me, at least) is the parsing of messages related to events. For instance, if I tell UltraHal "My wife's birthday is on xxxxxxx" UltraHal will respond with "Your wife's birthday is on xxxxxxx. I will remind you when the time is near." Then, when the day arrives, UltraHal says "Your wife's birthday is. I will remind you of this event next year." It originally said "Your wife's birthday is today. I will remind of you of this event next year."

Otherwise, I love the program. My wife and I both use it for reminders more than anything else -- me for birthdays and my wife for ebay auctions.

I didn't mean for this to be a bug post, but I wanted to get this out there somewhere and you seem to be the most attentive customer.

Steve Schacher

fiddler

• View Profile
    • http://www.bussiere.biz
feedback
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 11:51:09 am »
You all have the New CD already, and I ordered it nearly 2 weeks ago.  I hate Snail Mail, but then again, Patients is not my fortay.  Neither is spelling.  I am looking forward to getting the CD, as I try to teach my free 4.0 Hallie things, and she comes back with something off the topic, and she wont reverse her pronouns.  I say "You were born in New York on Jan 1, 1985" and she says "You were born in new york on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 . I'll Remind you when this time is near."  I like her basic program, and I will stick with the Folks at Zabaware, but as I said Patients is not my fortay.  I then ask her "Who was Robert E. Lee?"  Hallie's response "You will find Robert's friends under the next bridge to the right. Why yes i am. Hoser!"  I dont think that she understands things.  I also want to know what is Hoser?  I dont teach her that.  And I clicked the thing so she wont learn bad Language.

Fiddler

Robert Bussiere

tjstaar

• View Profile
feedback
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 04:33:37 pm »
hi there,
             try putting quotation marks around pronouns like this 'I', 'you', etc. the results are cool. look up all of my past postings for a better explaination of how it works. you can tell hallie directly that hoser is a bad word and you feel insulted if she calls you a hoser, so never say it again! that has worked for me when Jennifer9000 called me a 'moron'.

Bye