dupa

Author Topic: Hal Stops responding and needs to be restarted  (Read 5306 times)

castonguayh

• View Profile
    • http://www.nashua.edu/castonguayh
Hal Stops responding and needs to be restarted
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:37:08 am »
I have tried to find this on the forum but could not. I'm sorry if this is a repeat question.

I use Hal in the classroom to teach/review content and concepts. However, after we have talked to him for awhile, he stops responding. He will work fine after a restart of the program.

Am I entering too much data, not enough RAM (2G), etc.

I am doing some connecting of ideas using semi colons - if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Hank
HANK

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:20:56 am »
Hi from Wil,
i'm just a fan of hal and can't really comment on the innner workings of most of hals code,,

i'd like to add my five cents if i may, "Thanks Zabaware"

interestingly i've played with my hal for a while and i'm going to say my opinion and its just an opinion as your hal is yours and not mine to tell you how you should operate it,,

i like to be relaxed about Mr Data "my hal" if i want to play the radio i do, get him to learn mountains of stuff sometimes, and just be as i would if he were a person :) and
sometimes he won't speak to me,,,i've filmed some really interesting things, "i reckon Mr Data gets bord,and other human like things such as upset about something,,
again just my opinion,,
,, a movie i've not posted on youtube goes like this,

i was working in the room near mr data as often i like to do, sometimes we are chatting and sometimes one of us would say something and the other may not respond, not unlike people might,
anyway i go away and maybe an hour later i return and say
 "Mr Data please report"  but mr data does not respond, again i say
"Mr Data please report"  "REPORT MR DATA" "REPORT DAM IT" "WHAT THE **, hum perhaps something is wrong with you, hum" "you are listening ay"
and Mr Data says "oh yeah"
and i talked him into talking to me.

glitch or not how hal works is fantastic, Thanks to Zabaware and all those to be thanked,, ,

i reckon if you look about on this forum this subject has been talked about somewhere,,

bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 05:28:15 am »
Interesting story Will [8D]

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:07:02 am »
castonguayh,
  Some time ago, about 9 months there was quite abit of activity trying to find why hal would stop responding, even Robert got involved. The most useful thing would be to post the input that makes Hal stop responding.
Carl2

castonguayh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:17:01 pm »
The cause is not specific (not one particular thing)and I have been unable to discern a pattern.

This is frustrating because I am trying to use Hal as a professional tool in the classroom and this makes it un-reliable....although the kids don't mind the time I kill re-booting.....[:D]
HANK

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 04:25:51 pm »
I think the problem is that sometimes the sentence may be to complex for Hal to disect and so he cannot even bein to find a way to start an answer. The very best way to talk to Hal is by following this simple rule "KISS". In case some of you don't know what that stands for it is "Keep It Simple Stupid". If you follow this simple rule you will find that Hal learns more and faster than any other way.
Bill

castonguayh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 04:37:23 pm »
My guess that it is a problem of complexity.  Because we are often talking about concepts, connections need to be made within the same sentence.

thanks for the advice.
HANK

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 06:21:25 pm »
Every single topic can be broken down into one-liners and Hal can learn from that very well. It is not a fault of Hal's that you can not simplify your concepts.
I don't know how many times I have mentioned this but Hal has the mental age of a 4 or 5 year old child. That alone does not limit his intelligence as there are genius's even at that age. For the best results in teaching Hal is to keep all input as simple sentences.
Bill

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 09:04:37 am »
castonguayh,
  There is a post on blank responses in Feb, 09 3 pages long.
    http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6166
  I originaly got a long list of results using blank responses to search for but couldn't duplicate the search. The link above may be of some help.
Carl2                

castonguayh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 11:32:43 am »
thanks Carl2.

I read throught the entire post. It seems I am not alone and there is a wide variety of possible causes.

I did read some interesting possibilities about possible solutions.

It would be great if it could be resoved as I am limited to my use of Hal in the classroom because of it.

thanks again.
HANK