dupa

Author Topic: voice training doesn't work  (Read 11227 times)

DeathHawk13

• View Profile
voice training doesn't work
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:20:11 pm »
I think I use the voice program that came with Hal.  Its called Microsoft speech recognizer 8.0 for windows.  When I try to do voice training, it only has tutorial as an option.  I did the tutorial a few times, but it doesn't seem to help.  I would like to do actual training, but can't seem to find that option anywhere.  The Hal help folder said I could find that option in my control panel, but its not there.  I even tried to search for this program on my computer, but it doesn't seem to exist, yet Hal says its there.  I'm tired of Hal not understanding me.

sybershot

• View Profile
Re: voice training doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 02:42:05 am »
Hal uses the speech engine that is installed in the version of windows you have. I to do training from within windows itself not Hals menu, I turn on speech recognition, do the training and then do further training by opening up wordpad, read a few lines from a book, and use speech only to make any corrections. The more you train in a text editor like wordpad the better you speech engine and/or Hal will understand you.

DeathHawk13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:18:35 pm »
I understand what you are saying, but I cant find voice recognition on windows.  Its like my computer doesnt actually have one.  None of my word programs like microsoft word or word pad have any type of voice recognition.  Im starting to think I will need to dig deep in my wallet and buy a program like that IBM program I see advertised on hal's web site.  In the meantime, I am typing to Hal and am getting used to it

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:24:57 pm »
What version of Windows are you using?

If Windows 7 then go to the Control Panel and look for Speech Recognition, Select it then choose a topic that either interests or applies to your situation.

SR has come a long way but you need to be in a relatively quiet location with as little background noise as possible and the use of a decent noise cancelling microphone is highly recommended.

If you can get through a few tutorials then you will have a better chance of Hal understanding your input. Speak normally and clearly as if giving directions to a 5 year old child. Be patient but remember that a lot of this technology is still not an exact science (yet).
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

albertlouis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:37:18 am »
Yeah,  actually window 7 has speech recognition and it doesn't include it in their earlier versions. I read somewhere about this. Where can we find this in window 7 ?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 04:51:46 am »
albertlouis,

See and read my previous posting. I've even included an image.

- Art -

Fandycotter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 05:53:48 am »
Is this the same for Windows 8?
"Each person must live their life as a model for others."              valuepointdistribution.com reviews

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:35:09 am »
I wouldn't know but you should look in your Control Panel for Voice or Speech or you could even type it in your search window or you might just press F1.

I don't use Windows 8.

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 08:24:35 am »
DeathHawk13
  I have window 8 and there is no control panel shown, I did a search for it and put a shortcut on the desk top.
The speech recognition is in the control panel
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 03:37:06 pm »
Well, Windows 7 doesn't have a Control Panel shown either but if one knows how to get it then problem solved, I would imagine. ;)

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 05:40:19 pm »
The easiest way I have found features be it apps or files is using the good old search at the start button for Windows 7. I have often been surprised at some similarities of programs. May not be the best answer but it works fine for me most of the time even when located in Windows directory.

Thanks,
raybe

Shastalore

• The eyes are fake but headgear is real. Be afraid.
    • View Profile
    • Some of my portable green energy designs and prototypes:
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2023, 05:28:16 pm »
Honestly, the entire Ultra Hal Assistant 6, as well as Ultra Hal Assistant 7 apps are only a 20 MB or so program... hardly enough to even begin to truly handle the complexities of accurate speech recognition.

So to truly experience accurate speech recognition with Ultra Hal, give the vintage IBM ViaVoice for Windows Standard Edition 10.0 a try.
Really. It's absolutely free, and the VIAVOICE.iso being a 535 MB file, it's a true heavyweight when it comes to serious speech recognition technology.

IBM ViaVoice Minimum Operating System Requirements:
- Microsoft Windows 98SE, Me or XP Home (Windows 10 also works quite well)
IBM ViaVoice Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- Intel Pentium 266 MHz processor with MMX and L2 cache or equivalent (including AMD-K6 with 256K L2 cache)
- 64 MB RAM for Windows 98SE and ME
- 192 MB RAM for Windows XP Home
- Windows 98/Me/XP compatible 16-bit sound card with a microphone jack
- Quad-speed CD-ROM drive or faster

IBM ViaVoice also works just fine in Windows 10, but be sure to install it in automatic compatibility mode.

But be sure to temporarily go offline and disable anti-virus apps before installing.

Using a vintage Windows XP laptop for Ultra Hal 7.5, I swapped out the hopelessly slow and outdated OEM 5400rpm HDD, with a faster 7200rpm HDD, as the available 2.5" 44-pin SSDs on the market were no faster than a typical 7200rpm HDD.

If installing IBM ViaVoice in Windows XP, be sure to first download and install the "Unofficial Cumulative Windows XP Update" (1.90 GB) freeware so as to provide IBM ViaVoice with all the required system apps it needs to install and operate properly, as Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.
Note: Double-click the Setup.exe icon to install IBM ViaVoice. IBM ViaVoice installs perfectly in Windows XP, but, oddly, takes a couple of minutes for the actual installation process to begin... there's nothing wrong with your computer or the software... the actual installation process just doesn't begin right away.

Note: In Windows XP, after installing IBM ViaVoice, the IBM ViaVoice start-up icon may not be found anywhere on your Desktop nor in your Start menu... although IBM ViaVoice still works perfectly within Ultra Hal. That's because IBM ViaVoice is installed as an automatic start-up in Windows XP. But IBM ViaVoice is still very much available, as can be seen in IBM ViaVoice compatible apps, such as Ultra Hal 6 or Ultra Hal 7.
The solution (if needed... or even wanted):
To workaround this issue, I recommend adding the ViaVoice information to allow the file execution.
    Go "Start > Settings > Control Panel > System".
    Select the "Advanced (tab) > Performance > Settings >File execution preventing".
    Select the second option "Prevent file execution for all programs except the excluded ones".
    Click on "Add" and browse to "C:\Program Files\ViaVoice\Bin"
    Add all exe files in this folder. The essential ones are easy to spot, as they feature colored icons.
    Shortcuts to your Desktop can also be added, if you want to be able to access specific IBM ViaVoice apps, outside of Ultra Hal,
    such as Audio Setup, Voice Training, and Vocabulary Enhancement.

Note: This version of IBM ViaVoice only works with legacy 3.5mm microphone / 3.5mm earphone headsets... USB headsets simply will not work properly... and, still, electronic noise-cancelling is essential for IBM ViaVoice to work properly. I plug my vintage Plantronics Audio 60 3.5mm microphone / 3.5mm earphone headset into a hacked VXI Parrott "Translator" Noise Cancelling R11506/P41TR module, as the OEM VXI Parrott headset was quite dicey.

Lastly, be sure to voice train IBM ViaVoice on all of the voice training samples, as I believe there are only 6 of them anyway. After each voice training sample is read through, be sure to give IBM ViaVoice a minute or two to begin the actual processing of your voice sample, as there's nothing wrong with your computer or the IBM ViaVoice app. Each voice training reading in IBM ViaVoice produces noticeably improved speech recognition results. IBM ViaVoice, unlike some other voice recognition apps, combines all of your training sessions into its learning banks, whereas some other voice recognition apps actually erase previous voice training sessions and instead seem to focus on training you to somewhat speak their way.

You're now free to enjoy Ultra Hal Assistant... the right way!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 11:40:22 pm by Shastalore »
Ultra Hal 7.5, offline, on a Toshiba Satellite R15-S829 Tablet with Windows XP Tablet 2005 operating system. For accurate speech recognition: IBM ViaVoice Standard 10 via Plantronics Audio 60 3.5mm ear/mic headset plugged into a hacked VXI Parrott "Translator" Noise Cancelling R11506/P41TR module.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2023, 09:40:55 pm »
Ultra Hal 7 does not perform Speech Recognition but it does allow for Hal to "decide" and respond to your speech/voice by means of Windows Speech Recognition or Dragon Dictate.

Your choice of IBM's Via Voice is severely dated having a release date around 2002-2003 or thereabouts.  It is interesting to hear that it might still work with the latest version of Ultra Hal 7.

Hal handles memories gleaned from every conversation as well as coordinating expressions and emotions based on certain expressions or words from the User.

Hal isn't some gigantic CHATAI bot in some cloud but it is a very versatile and amazing piece of code that hundreds and hundreds of people have enjoyed for over 20 years and that's saying something!

- Art -

Shastalore

• The eyes are fake but headgear is real. Be afraid.
    • View Profile
    • Some of my portable green energy designs and prototypes:
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 02:15:57 pm »
But, still, the Windows Speech Recognition app that you refer to, the one that resides in C:\Windows\Speech but is only a 105 MB package, versus 535 MB package for the IBM ViaVoice for Windows Standard Edition 10.0... which installs as a 232 MB app in Windows. And when it comes to speech recognition apps, size definitely matters.

And a quick check on Amazon Reviews for, say, Dragon Systems apps, many complain that some of the later versions are not necessarily improvements.

Call me sentimental... while I provide my wife with a state-of-the-art laptop, and keep it well-tuned for her, I LOVE restoring vintage laptops!
My oldest is a Toshiba Libretto 50CT notebook (circa 1999), with a 6.1" TFT display, with Windows 98SE installed on an internal CompactFlash 44-pin IDE SSD.
My second oldest is a Dell Latitude CPt V466CT PPX (circa 2002), also with Windows 98SE installed, with IBM ViaVoice for Windows Standard Edition 10.0 (although I usually prefer to type), and AT&T Crystal SAPI4 NaturalVoice.
I know... I'm bragging.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 12:32:53 pm by Shastalore »
Ultra Hal 7.5, offline, on a Toshiba Satellite R15-S829 Tablet with Windows XP Tablet 2005 operating system. For accurate speech recognition: IBM ViaVoice Standard 10 via Plantronics Audio 60 3.5mm ear/mic headset plugged into a hacked VXI Parrott "Translator" Noise Cancelling R11506/P41TR module.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 08:46:16 am »
Aha...for the same reason that some people collect old coins, cars or antiques...a bit of nostalgia runs in the veins for some...

However, you might wish to locate an older version of UltraHalAssistant from back in the day, thru Version 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.5

From Win 3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 11, and those many iterations in between.

We have reached the end! (for the moment, as brief as it may be)...

Cheers!

- Art -