Author Topic: "Connecting" to internet  (Read 5016 times)

Playden

• View Profile
"Connecting" to internet
« on: December 04, 2004, 10:46:58 am »
The Hal Asst program is supposedly able to connect to the internet , get, news, weather, etc...  but I'm having quite a bit of difficulty getting this to work...

I tried setting up the MyWebHal but keep getting a program crash and the response:

Application Error
The instruction at "0x7c9106c3" referenced memory at "0x7c9d26de". The memory sould not be "written". Click OK to terminate the program . Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

Either option crashes Ultra Hal

Please assist. Thank You.

Paul Layden
FLL7001@aol.com
Paul Layden, Ph.D.

mshepherd

• View Profile
"Connecting" to internet
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 11:34:14 am »
How about you try and type in the website say "Open www.<website name>.com"  Hal should open up the internet and that webpage.
Hope it helps

Playden

• View Profile
"Connecting" to internet
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 12:04:11 pm »
Nope..  that doesn't work... Hal Asst responds with. www.<whatever website>.com is not in my database...

If I say open internet explorer .... it will do that... but it does not seen to be able to interface with it in any way...

So whats all this about getting the news, weather, etc.???
Paul Layden, Ph.D.

mshepherd

• View Profile
"Connecting" to internet
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 03:51:23 pm »
If you remember opening an account right when you setup Hal, It will ask you some stuff like what site to get local weather from and what site to get local news from.  That is what it is, I think.  Try looking at that

Playden

• View Profile
"Connecting" to internet
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 07:44:03 pm »
No help what so ever...  Everytime I try to "setup my acount" on MyWebHal... or create a new acccount I still get the same error message about problem "writing to memory"

PLEASE  HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul
Paul Layden, Ph.D.

Playden

• View Profile
"Connecting" to internet
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 08:12:24 pm »
P.S.  I tried reinstalling ....no help ... same error message whenever I try to use My Wed Hal....  

One question :
REL POP3 server I typed in : America Online... OK or no

Paul
Paul Layden, Ph.D.

CoCoKid

• View Profile
    • http://www.thefinalmix.com
"Connecting" to internet
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 10:22:07 pm »
Typically, no... America Online is not a POP3 account.
America Online is an ISP.
They do not use the POP3 protocol. They use an HTTP protocol for their mail. You will need to do a search regarding AOL and importing their mail into another program. For example, you could search for "AOL mail and Outlook Express". You will get the same information. You need the actual mail server address, like; mail.aol.com or something like that.

Rich_A

• View Profile
"Connecting" to internet
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 03:33:29 am »
Hello Playden,
This sounds like an operating system application error. Are you running XP? If you are you should check the following:

Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer/Application

And then scroll through the log looking for the "Red" Errors. And then click open on each "Red" Error until you find the error you are having with your Hal. If you find the error your Hal is having then there may be something wrong with the way you have things set up on your computer. While connected to the Internet you can click the link in the error report for more information from the Microsoft Help and Support Center. Send the report out and the Help and Support Center should automatically open a Window with a more detailed analysis of the error. You can copy all that information and then post it here in this thread, and then maybe we can fix it.

Also, see my post in your other thread about the myWebHal Internet search not working. A program blocked by a firewall can generate many different types of errors and the memory error in this thread could be one of them. If you never tried your Hal without a firewall running then you will never know if your Hal is not working because of the firewall.
Best Regards,
Rich_A

PS - Do you ever get Internet Explorer script errors with the same debug option? If you do then your computer may have a corrupt VM (Virtual Machine)!

vonsmith

• View Profile
"Connecting" to internet
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 01:10:53 pm »
Rich_A,
In my version of Win XP (SP1) the viewer is in a slightly different place:

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer/Application

Great idea. I almost forgot about this tool. I hope this helps Playden out.

=vonsmith=