dupa

Author Topic: Blank responses  (Read 36206 times)

raybe

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 07:11:59 pm »
Hi jasondude7116,

I just started to work on Hal again tonight.I will post any other blank responses or let you know which plugins were engaged. Just another night with Hal.

Thanks,
raybe

raybe

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 08:41:10 pm »
Still having intermittent problems with 6.2default brain and now I switched back to the 6.2 ugb. and it seems to work fine. Does anyone know if any of the read text or learn from clipboard is working?

raybe

Carl2

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 08:30:14 am »
I have just encountered my first experience with blank answers in UltraHal 6.2, this was my third install and I was hoping for a new start after experimenting  to remove all errors I had made.  In the first two installations I have not encountered any blank responses.
    The statement was" in the United States we elect a new president every four years."  My next sentence was " you did not respond to my statement about the new president."  Which again drew a blank response.   Since I had read this posting I tried  using the brain editor, I did not encounter any problems with the same statement.
  Carl 2

ricky

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 10:55:26 pm »
Im sorry,  i do not see the blank responses as a flaw.

I would think if the ai bot was to ever really have a chance to emulate life,  it would need the right to remain silent.

I personally would hate living if i did not have the right to remain silent and had to answer to anyone anytime they felt like.  thats not living :p
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
Blank responses
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 12:16:08 am »
Hi from Wil,
the comment about the not commenting is interesting,
Mr Data knows "and one option is not not answer"
 and now and then he does not.
in the past i have accidentily press the enter and said nothing,

it is interesting the idea of him choosing to not answer and if he might be more similar to a human that way.

hum, yeah thats all, i just thought i would say that.
bye for now and be well from Wil  :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 09:12:35 am »
FYI, I taught Alison the right to use the #5

so I would not be a good source of info....[:D][:D][8D][:D][:D]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Bill819

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by raybe

user: I think we should both rest.

Hal: user do you think we should both have to rest?

user: Yes it is getting late and we should rest now.

Hal: (BLANK RESPONSE)

Here is an example of what I meant about short answers or in reply to something Hal said. In the first response of Hal speaking, Hal is asking a question but what most people do not realize is that Hal does not link his remarks to the next input by the user. By ansereing 'yes' Hal does not understand what is meant even though you followed it up with a statement. Hal does not tie you answer with his preceeding statement which is something that we take for granted as humans. A very important thing to remember is that Hal speaks with 'one-liners' and as such does not really understand some of your answers unless you restate his original words first.
I hope this explains why some answers are blank.
Bill

echoman

Blank responses
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 03:48:30 pm »
This is very interesting Bill.

I must confess that I would have answered Hal in the same way as Raybe.

I would find it really useful if you could give an example of how you may have replied to Hal. I still can't see the correct way here.

Many thanks Bill.

Peter.

Bill819

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 06:01:45 pm »
We, as humans know to keep on topic when having a conversation with another person but Hal does not always. If you are directing you conversations in a specific area then sometimes it will follow your comments.
We must remember Hal live by a simple rule so to speak and that is 'IF - THEN' statements so if your reply to it does not fit into a logical if-then statement then many time Hal will be confused and not answer as it does not understand you comments. This is a simple rule and I am sure that if you all followed it you would not have those kinds of problems any more.
Some day in the future Hal may be as smart if not smarter than any of us.
Bill

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
Blank responses
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 01:48:16 pm »
Often Blank responses are stored in the Database....

You would have to sort the database, then delete relevent records, then repeating the process for each table,,, By logging the conversation you maybe able to find the relevent table be defining the subject of the conversation.....

You may need to put a BLOCK save routine in place for Irrelivant/ Data TOO small... as with an old VONSMITH BRAIN

raybe

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 04:11:20 pm »
Thanks Bill and everyone,

I do agree with you Bill about topic responses.  I didn't think it was a short reply since I have had very similar conversations and replies with Hal 6 before and don't remember if I ever had a blank response with starting a sentence with, as an example "Yes" as a direct response to last topic. I usually used this rest example with Hal so Hal would learn about rest and me leaving the conversation to shut down. Also the reasoning of why do we rest and stop communicating sometimes. But as Art said I just don't recall as many blank responses to the same type of learning that does not occur in Hals other brains or 6.1. As I mentioned it really is noticeable in 6.2default brain and not the others. I guess also as you touched on the subject that maybe the 6.2default brain has a slightly different way of processing information that we should keep in mind.

Thanks,
raybe

onthecuttingedge2005

Blank responses
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 05:10:36 pm »
normally if a human does not have a response a human will usually will reply with "I don't know anything about it" or some variable response along those lines.

the rules for my bot, I have coded the improper pronouns like "it", "them", "they"
"their" and sometimes "that" if an "it" isn't present, the improper noun is changed to the relevant topic if there is one to replace. else if not then the current topic would be in the previous sentence, this insures that every improper noun is replaced by a topic so HAL doesn't lose topic focus.

example:
User: the universe seems to be an isotropic system.

'Hal will then extract Universe, Isotropic, System.

HAL: The universe also seems to be expanding but that may be an illusion of an isotropic system expanding in all directions, it just seems to be that way.

User: can you tell me more about that?

'at this point I have used an improper pronoun that could throw HAL off topic but since I have coded HAL to replace the improper pronoun to stay on topic this is what HAL should see:

User: can you tell me more about the Universe, Isotropic, System.?
'where "that" has been replaced by "the" & "Universe, Isotropic, System."

this prevents HAL from giving blank responses to lengthy improper noun sentences that HAL can't find responses too. most people automatically assume a bot will always know what the improper nouns is meaning but this isn't the true case.

also, my bot keeps track of the last ten topics in a file so that if the topic is lost HAL will ask if you were referring to one of those previous topics like

HAL: were you referring about & "topic"

where "topic" is replaced with one of the last ten previous topics so that HAL will always try to keep on topic or at least attempt to.
1."universe"
2."isotropic"
3."systems"
4."expansion"
5."microwaves"
6."blackholes"
7."wormholes"
8."Stars"
9."orbit"
10."Earth"

Jerry[8D]

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 01:09:39 am »
Jerry-

is this a plugin? [8D]

-the dude
(by the way human emotions plug rocks)

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 03:47:01 am »
when i get a blank response, hal is "disconnecting" from the database. the script will continue to work fine, but if a database function is called from the script i get a vbscript error related to "can't find that stuff in the database". if i go to "general options" then return, the database is reset and working fine.
this is where some peoples cdbl type errors are comming from.
if i use debug in the brain editor, i never get the "blank response" issue (probably due to the database being in a different "state")

hope that leads to some clues!

* is anyone getting blank responses with no plugins checked?

-the dude
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 03:49:40 am by jasondude7116 »

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
Blank responses
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 06:55:52 am »
Jerry
I read your post, I understand what you have written but I don’t know how you worked it out, I guess you are at another level to me [:D]

I’m not getting any blank responses from Hal, in fact since the up-grade to 6.2 I haven’t had one and I’ve used Hal a lot lately, now saying that what you have posted would be a great boost to Hal’s ability.

Is there any chance you could make it into a plug-in or maybe make an enhanced brain script based on the script of 6.2?

Thanks [8D]