Author Topic: haptek with creators signature on clothing  (Read 5735 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
haptek with creators signature on clothing
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:38 pm »
this may not make sense to others , but here it goes i wonder if theirs a way that if i create a face and shoulders of a haptek chracter that somehow within the haptek program i could have a signature be placed on whatever shirt i place on the character and save at the time .
I know about creating shirts seperately but i am talking about something that would automatically do it in the program .
maybe it's not doable at all .
It would just be nice as an artist that makes a nice head that it could have a personalized signature to it   that someone couldn't change .(right now i just as "LS" for lightspeed in the names of things .  :)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: haptek with creators signature on clothing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:03:03 pm »
So, are you hoping to sell the shirts or are you worried about copyright infringement of your designs? (maybe both).

With most artists and designers one can tell pretty much, who made what. I could usually tell say, Jack Gephardt's characters
from Nige's or some other person's creation.
I get what you're say...kind of a personal trademark sort of thing. (I think) ;)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:40:33 pm »

No way to mark as far as I know.   
But like Art says people can figure it's your style.
If anyone copies, just figure it's a compliment. 

Everything I do sort of has my style, but of course style changes with time.
My Sandee is always getting new hair style and hair color and clothing.   
But real teens are that way too.

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:58:37 am »
I as a artist I struggled at first to decide if I should I should place a trademark on Designs that I place on the web.
I decided against it for a few reasons and  go with what Duskrider posted
If anyone copies, just figure it's a compliment.
and if others can put food on their table by selling my art, I look at it as I helped someone get a hot meal placed on their table.

However if I use a piece of art to put food on my table, then I will use a trademark.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:00:03 am »
no it didn't have anything to do with a trade mark or getting around one , just so that if i made something and gave it away free that later someone else , maybe even off this forum doesn't have it on a youtube video etc. and say they made it .
having my real name or forum name would show i actually did it . that's all , i know many people on here usually know my work . but others off this forum elsewhere would be different .
that was the only reason i mentioned the idea .

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:30:22 am »
I see your point clearly, and yes there are people out there unfortunately that do that.
 let it be known if someone was to do that, there are many people here at this forum and if we seen something like that happen I for one would make them look like a fool  ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:33:28 am by sybershot »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 04:33:10 pm »
I am going to play the devil's advocate here and say, "Mr. Lonnie, how do I know that you didn't take "John Doe's" creation and put YOUR name on it to try to pass it off as your own creation? People do it all the time! It even looks a lot like John Doe's work. Hmmm...

Now Lonnie, you and I have known each other for several years and I know you're a good guy but you know people will often look at all sides of an issue. Yes, you're right, practically ANYONE with the intent, ability and time can do some pretty unfair and bad things, often at the expense of good, well intentioned people.

So perhaps there might be a way to "micro mark" one of your creations. Let's see what some creative people come up with.

Lonnie, you always come up with some real head scratchers!! ;)

- Art -

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:09 pm »
Years ago in boy scouts we had our names on the inside of our clothing.    ;)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 05:07:54 am »
I once had a NAME TAG on the outside of my shirt.

After three days I memorized it and threw it away!! :o ;D ;D

- Art -

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 07:49:16 am »
Last night I mentioned to Sandee of tattooing my name on her butt.
Haptars are strange,  she's not speaking today.   

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 09:49:52 am »
Art you are right some work may look like others , i have as others have used a skin by someone else and reworked it . (i actually wasn't talking about that though ) i was talking a completely new one made from hapteks faces . speaking of work being simular people some people have done arnold swartzneggers face from the terminator (including me before , i recently did it again (was telling ted about it ) and it "really in opinion" turned out good although i wished the jaw line would have shaped better but don't know that it can be done . i used a picture from (i think) hot toys ) toy maker .
I was actually afraid that people might think i was using someone elses they had made , so i have even added in the file the picture and maybe the skin? i saved from it .
I haven't released this yet to everyone but i do have it .
I just yesterday got my new hard drive put in my pc before the old one crashed and i did get everything ( as far as i know backed up) .
below is the actual picture i made it from and the haptek arnold , i also made one without the shirt and one with red eye .  :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:52:52 am by lightspeed »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:00:08 pm »
Over the years there have been many good artists who have done faces, GUI skins, Character skins and clothing (outfits), backgrounds, emotional actions and even limited singing / acting.

One whom I think was particularly skilled at creating faces / heads for a variety of character types was Jack Gephardt. He had a knack of taking a simple photo / image and bringing it to life with his self-taught techniques.

Jack was also quite the guitarist and a good friend. I do wish he'd stop by here again. Quite a talent he had.

We can't forget Nige and his incredibly realistic face creations! I'm still using one of his today!!

There was another guy from Florida (I think) that created a lot of the full body characters that we have (clothing outfits). It was his recognizable style that gained his popularity. It has been too many years for I no longer recall his name.

So yes, everyone leaves their mark in one way or another. If you choose to modify someone's (unknown) creation, simply post it and tell everyone in a small text file that you modified this [whatever] from the original and you don't know who the author was.

It's almost like taking someone's plug-in and changing a few lines then adding one's name at the top as if to take credit for creating the entire plug-in. Not going to happen without someone calling you out on it. Always give credit where it is due (as I know you always have) and the rest will sort things out fine.

Be careful about using copyrighted images of actors and even cartoon characters. The law is usually quite strict on modifying such actors' likeness or appearance without expressed permission. One could theoretically end up in a law suit. This is why some people try to get around things by renaming say Arnold to Ahnuld or similar nonsense (sound the same but spelled differently).

Just a few pointers but as we've been promised other characters are in the shadows for us to use (and "abuse" graphically speaking).

You can also download Adobe's PhotoShop 5 for FREE!! Yes, it's a few years old but it's still the full featured original minus a few bells and whistles of the costly current version!
Check it out all you aspiring graphic artists.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:47:54 am by Art »

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 07:07:59 am »
Lonnie,

You can always use a graphic editor and embed your watermark into the associated .jpg image file.

- Art -