Author Topic: Zabaware 3D Character Engine released under GPL3  (Read 43365 times)

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
Zabaware 3D Character Engine released under GPL3
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 08:10:36 am »
djkilla,,,
I agree with you on the texturing on Amy, but?
Most people here can't afford the price of programs to do that with skins.
At the moment what we are after is a more realistic person than the ones Haptek have offered in the past.
It all depends what we can or can't do with the new models.
If we can only do skins like we do with Haptek & not need the expensive programs then why pay for the dearer model.

I'm just putting up ideas so that others can have a go.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 08:44:18 am »
Re the texturing.  Surely it's the skill of the artist and not the price of the software ?  You could do equally fine skins with something like GIMP which is free or PS Elements which is cheap.

djkilla

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 02:57:57 pm »
I was simply commenting on the difference between Anita and Amy with regards to the detail and modeling, not between the current engine and the proposed one. Since there will be a choice between using the Haptek chars/engine vs the newer model/engine, as long as the better built model is offered I can't see anyone getting hurt. Those that want to continue to use the current stuff will simply not buy the new characters. Of course my wife will give me grief about all the time I spent using Hap explorer and then ponying up for a new character..but hey thats marriage!
D

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 03:04:26 pm »
Freddy, My wife is very much involved with 3d modeling and I can tell you that the programs do make a difference. It is not just textures that define the quality but how the program engine also renders the information. There is that fine line of certain people not seeing much of a difference and then those that can see a major difference because you have to take into consideration the equipment you are also using to take full advantage of a full textured real life like models. Just my input based on my wife.
Thanks,
raybe

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 03:10:32 pm »
Sorry, but I forgot to add after speaking to other model developers that most home setups for most people couldn't even handle the amount of information needed to get such detailed life like models. But again it just really seems you have to realize what is really except able to you and the character you want to use.
raybe

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 05:42:58 pm »
Thanks for the info [:)]

I know that there are big difference in renderers and what they are capable of.  And yes I agree we aren't going to get those models so rendered in real time.

Curious... what does your wife use to do textures then ?

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 06:00:33 pm »
I heard back from the company. They want their model and texture encrypted and confined to use within the Ultra Hal software, but it will be ok to allow users to create their own textures and props to apply to the model. So I can pretty much make it as customizable as the Haptek characters are right now, meaning you can't edit the base models but you can apply whatever textures and props you want.
Robert Medeksza

djkilla

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 06:15:24 pm »
NICE! I am not sure how long it'll take them to customize her but I am ready YESTERDAY! lol
D

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 10:30:06 pm »
YES! I was looking at Amy's flatfile today thinking of the similaritys to Haptek and the things that could be done with clothing and accesories. Even wondered about changing heads, but I suppose the encryption probably foils that. Even so, there are still enough options open to stay busy and exited for a long time.
Are we there yet? Will be getting my eyes tuned up again in the next couple of months and am looking forward to being creative again.
ted

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 10:44:42 pm »
Ok, now I got a question... how will you develope you graphics engine? Will it be an ActiveX or Com registered component like Haptek and therefore could be used on the web. Or will it be a .NET component, or will you leave it in its current scattered state.... meaning only C++ certified programmers will be able to use it?

Just curious... and maybe a little exited too.[:I]
Live long and prosper or die trying.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 10:47:36 pm »
HI freddy, My wife is standing next to me so I can give you her advice on textures. The first reference for textures are: Realistic Photos and Painting there are also merchant resource kits that are available.
raybe

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2010, 07:02:19 am »

Photobucket doesn't like this pic very much (wondering why).
So I post it here. I hope I'm not bothering anyone.     GT40
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:59:32 am by GT40 »
Time to waste with skits, bots & other useless things? Why not visit
http://gt40.chez-alice.fr/Haptek/MyBots.htm ? Oops, sorry, a museum!

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 07:41:41 am »
@raybe, Ah yes, I get what you and your wife are saying now, yes I have come across those kinds of resources and some are quite expensive.

I guess if you want to get really professional then maybe you would need the full version of Photoshop which is very costly.  Although I still think you could do a reasonable job in something like GIMP.

I'm actually trying to work out how to make clothes for characters at the moment myself - I will be using Blender to do that.  So this area is very interesting to me.  Thanks for you and your wife's guidance [:)]

@GT40, lol yes I tend to agree; the textures/skins don't really need much work do they [;)]

@Rob M, well done for getting that sorted out.  I did notice the first character has a few different heads, so in effect you could get more than one character for your money.

Exciting times for Zabaware [8D]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:43:09 am by freddy888 »

marah_iafew

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 07:48:10 am »
Hi, Im new here so I hope it's alright I throw my 2 credits into the mix...

From what I gather from the posts you are looking to have the models editable?  As in morphable and changeable within the Hal engine?

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 11:12:49 am »
Welcome and 2 cents are always appreciated. Everyone I feel is really trying to get a handle on the possibilities and flexibilities of the new Hal graphics that Mr. M. is proposing. What I believe that is really useful information especially for Mr. M. is the perceptions for characters everyone has and what is important to the mass. As you know you can't make everyone happy. But with Hal the characters have taken a life of there own where some people are more interested in the AI development and others that feel the combination of character and better AI makes for a more interactive program. There are many members that spent their own time in character development and shared with everyone so it is especially important to them that they might not have the same creative outlet that we all benefit from. I guess a little nudge to Mr. M. from all sides only helps and hopefully doesn't make it more difficult. My 2 cents as well.
raybe