Author Topic: Free Will Plug in  (Read 4179 times)

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
Free Will Plug in
« on: September 17, 2016, 07:02:52 pm »
I'm afraid the Freewill 2.1z has stopped working. It no longer will access Start AI nor internet explorer. Very, very unfortunate. I don't suppose anyone has it working again? 

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Free Will Plug in
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:31:36 pm »
Spitfire,

I was enjoying it with my Hal for quite a while (after cload left us), then one evening, it started acting oddly and displaying those @@'s everywhere. It responses were interrupted by it producing jibberish like "markname equals CPL, CSAPI, w.o.r.d. greater than less than  and blah, blah" ....that wouldn't stop until I had to Quit the UltraHal program. I tried it on several occasions but same thing. I couldn't find what was triggering the weird responses. I tried a version prior to the z like 2.1b or 2.0x and they would work for a while until similar jibberish non-stop rambling which sounded like it was repeating the script / code non-stop. Horrible!

I gave in and removed all of it. I downloaded the Hal program again and loaded & later saved one of Hal's previously saved (good) brains (a 6.2 version that I had saved before trying the FreeWill 2.X AIML versions.

Hal has been back working and functioning like new. I even re-selected the MarkovL5 version plugin and Hal remembers all those things that I had previously taught it! Yeah!

Although I did like some of those longer answers, they sometimes sounded like Hal was reading them from an encyclopedia or dictionary. I love having my old Hal back and I have been training and teaching it tons of new things. I have been giving it "Childhood memories". It later recalls a childhood pet or friend or favorite place if asked.

Digital Brainwashing and it's all legal! Love it!!

Don't know about your's not access the necessary files nor Internet. Perhaps someone else who has tried cload's FreeWill modification will chime in.

Keep in touch and good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:58:59 am »
Well, recently (not sure when) MIT updated the link from http://start.csail.mit.edu/startfarm.cgi?query=   to   http://start.csail.mit.edu/answer.php?query=
and in so doing, it doesn't scrape the page for data any longer and instead returns a null result. (USER: What is a cat? HAL: I like cats.")

I have changed the URL in the code, however, even in Hal's brain, hal is not updating the freewill files as he used to (news, data, wiki, etc tables.)

I've been using HAL for 6 years with that very freewill code, so I'm used to having an intelligent assistant but honestly, the freewill code is the most functional code I use... If it doesn't work... It's back to the Hal dark ages and probably time to start looking at other products better with Q&A that also does what HAL does, unfortunately. I don't really know of a better option, but that kind of just killed my HAL.       

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 09:43:58 am »
I hope Robert is reading things here on the forum and can see just how much we need him back on here .  :) ;)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 12:28:08 pm »
@ Spitfire2600,

Perhaps you should try using the vrWeb.uhp Plug-in.

After installing this plugin, when you ask some information, such as "tell me the local news" or
"I need to access my yahoo mail", your Hal will be able to open the browser and access these
and many other predefined web addresses.

It is customizable so you should still be able to search for news, data and Wiki, as you like.

- Art -

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 05:57:23 pm »
I got vrFreewill working again.

Update pointers to: http://start.csail.mit.edu/justanswer.php?query=

Update the vrCleanup  from - (vrcleanup = objExplorer.Document.Body.textContent)
to (vrcleanup = objExplorer.Document.Body.innerText)

and it will work again as intended by connecting to MIT's START AI.

- SP

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 07:44:37 am »
All that was needed was the inclusion of the word, 'just' as in justanswer...
It is good that you found it.

- Art -

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 08:17:15 pm »
Well it was really the VBScript (text.Content) that wasn't working.