Author Topic: forum slowing down  (Read 12228 times)

rainman

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 09:13:33 am »
What is great is that there is a need and place for all of us.

lightspeed

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 10:21:16 am »
so we can all agree that their are many parts of the hal and hapteck program which used together makes it even better (to those who use it ,others are just as content with ms agents which also is also fine ) all in all hal and the other programs that help make it so great are at times being developed more and more by it's users and creator "robert" and that of course is a very good thing !![:D][8D]

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
forum slowing down
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 04:57:40 am »
I Agree, Ive Gone Off of hal: And the forum.

Just because, A-I was my key point on this site.. From Hal4.5 - Hal6 There was a slow but steady growth of Programming / Brain development. I know that the Forum is slowing down. Too much focus on Graphics..Vids etc.... All the pics/videos are "ALL GOOD".
But the true focus of the forum has now Gone...

On the enhanced fourum, The focus is on Programming, Many people Joined.. But no postings!.... on the Virtual humans Forum, A Lot of Free chat and flowing ideas, No actual Achievements yet(-FREECHOICE PLUGIN(TOPS))..

I would like to see more concentration on the Language processing...

PS: i would also like to see more FREE PROGRAMMING TOOLS from Zabaware...

ie: Independent Wordnet Tool, Talking Dictionary - Wordnet interrorgator.... Seperate DB EDITOR, For direct editing and structuring of the database > Importing data from various database types, etc...

I have loads of scripts and codes for hal5 & hal6, but the HAL5 has been put ON-THE-SHELF and theres no forum for HAL5, Just hal6 / haptek / videos etc...

Personally im dissapointed in zabaware not offering all Previous customers FREE upgrades to all the different versions...

PPS: Im not having a moan, as i still program AI on a daily basis. and agree that hal is a TOP Public AI, and GOOD working format.....

Congrat's for the turing prize, but hal has not really changed from hal4, just formats.... the brain is no different... theres just no competition....

I think that zabaware should start building the tools that others can use to make their own AI models, so that others can join the competiton, ie CuttingEdge, Art, others whom i know must have own AI, but at the moment based on hal so cant join the competition. I have my own but im not ready yet as i still use the hal5.dll just to get to the wordnet functions....

We need a wave of AI-Builders! we should also have a FORUM CAT, for OWN AI PROJECTS...

PS: ive not been able to upload anything for years... Or buy anything, as i cant add my creditcard details to the site as it still has my old card details... i cant even reregister as my card is linked to my emailaddress, as an ID........

KEEP IT UP GUYS,, Is always fun to watch a video

rainman

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 12:24:12 pm »
Do you believe in AI?

Bill819

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 01:13:14 pm »
Software slowing down, that is the future developement of Hal mental abilities. Consider that Hal is the most advance type of AI availalble to the public and then you may consider that further developements are a little slow in comming, but at the same time due to the semi-open working coding a lot of new items have been added due to member input. Over the years I have seen dozens of new things incorporated into Hal thanks to members input.Wh
About the graphics. I know that there are dozens of members who take pride in their graphic representations but it does eat up web space.
I would recommend a new topic with only the home page addessess or links to the authors home page where their graphics can be seen and downloaded. While there any and all comments can me made directly to the authors of such works instead of haveing hundreds of little comments thanking and complementing each as is currently happening. Just look at the graphics page and one item has now reached over twenty (20) full pages of 'thank yous' and other stuff. I ask all members to please reconsider how you do this.
Bil

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 03:04:13 pm »

Hummm......

Reminds me of something....... ??

Ah,....  I remember now...

Bob Cratchit was asking for Christmas off to spend it with his family.

"Bah and humbug", Ebenezer Scrooge said.    "There's no time for play and social niceties, there is business to be done."

[;)]

echoman

forum slowing down
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 03:34:34 pm »
I have to say that I agree with you 100% Spydaz.

I am only interested in one thing with respect to Hal - and that's Artificial Intelligence. I couldn't really care less what new heads or backgrounds have been made (though many of them are very good).

As for the Hal program slowing down with future developments of his AI ability, so what? I would be pleased with Hal taking a few minutes at a time to respond if there were vast improvements.

This is my key point. I can see very little improvement between Hal 5 and Hal 6.

Please don't get me wrong, Hal is amazing and it was a marvelous achievement to win the prize but after having used Hal for what I consider a long time now, these are my observations.

jackgephart

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 04:54:12 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

About the graphics. I know that there are dozens of members who take pride in their graphic representations but it does eat up web space.
I would recommend a new topic with only the home page addessess or links to the authors home page where their graphics can be seen and downloaded. While there any and all comments can me made directly to the authors of such works instead of haveing hundreds of little comments thanking and complementing each as is currently happening. Just look at the graphics page and one item has now reached over twenty (20) full pages of 'thank yous' and other stuff. I ask all members to please reconsider how you do this.
Bil

You need to get your facts straight before you accuse someone of eating up Zabaware space, Bill. I link everything I show from my website, cause for one reason I can't get the upload for this site to ever work, and I respect Robert and his space. And about how many pages there are is that really your problem or are you just being picky? I don't come on and say that you programmers should not put your ideas down for the people, so please give me the same courtesy. I'm glad that break throughs are made and stuff is invented to make Hal better, but because of the haptek expansion pack being for sell with Hal, I feel that we are both in the forum to stay my friend.
But if it bugs you so bad I will start a new thread for my stuff.
I didn't know that people were so down on graphics for Hal.

spydaz

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 07:39:28 pm »
Hi guys/Girls...

Its true.BUT...

Mr M. And his Expansion pack.. Good idea (in principle)... Hapteks down now a fly-by-night web software.... It has taken up a lot of webspace, or should i say web pages... everybody advertising their sites etc... It all good. But....DONE.

Really the point is, That, if more people were concentrating in AI- then we would have a greater program to work with. as it is hal has now gone down to the minor leagues.. we all use for different purposes.. A lot of Inteligent projects in the forum are being missed just due to the overwhelmig flood of graphics.. non productive...

with lego mindstorms, X10, ER1, KITT, etc... we should be focusing on disecting chat and building a machine capeable of UNDERSTANDING whats being said.. not just "give us a song" and "get yur knickers off"...

Pity as it STILL has potential.

PS: Everybody Please stop taking everything PERSONAL....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 07:40:14 pm by spydaz »

toborman

• View Profile
    • http://thinker.iwarp.com
forum slowing down
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 09:32:58 pm »
Spydaz

I am also interested in increasing AI functions for Hal, but I recognize that each of us has our own reasons for using Hal.  If we want to see more AI functions in Hal, we can help by describing those functions so that people with development skills might be motivated to address them.

echoman

forum slowing down
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 02:24:26 am »
Actually, I'm not down on graphics at all, I like adding news heads etc and I really appreciate your website jackgephart and others like you.

It just it not really what I see as important for an A.I. engine. I would personally like more imporvemtents in other areas.

Echoman.

jackgephart

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 03:54:22 am »
quote:
Originally posted by echoman

Actually, I'm not down on graphics at all, I like adding news heads etc and I really appreciate your website jackgephart and others like you.

It just it not really what I see as important for an A.I. engine. I would personally like more imporvemtents in other areas.

Echoman.

Thanks man, I was beginning to feel unwanted. I'm glad that both "teams" work for Hal, just in different ways. Thanks again for your kind words.

spydaz

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 05:08:16 am »
quote:
Originally posted by jackgephart

quote:
Originally posted by echoman

Echoman.

Thanks man, I was beginning to feel unwanted. I'm glad that both "teams" work for Hal, just in different ways. Thanks again for your kind words.

If graphics are all you can do Cool.... Keep it up..

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
forum slowing down
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 10:19:47 am »
Since a new section has been introduced just for graphics I find it hard to see what the fuss is all about. If people do nott want to see the graphical work then it is the old adage of "if you don't like it then don't go there" that must be applied.

Not so long ago there were hardly any new heads and things for Hal - now we are spoilt for choice thanks to the efforts of people like Jack.

At the same time I would like to see some really special intelligence advancements in Hal, but that kind of thing is going to take a while to happen - maybe we just hit a dry patch. New developments are occuring daily on the Virtual Humans forum, so maybe it is time for some of us to start spreading their wings again.

In peace and understanding...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:03:45 pm by freddy888 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2007, 05:45:18 pm »
hello freddy888, jack and all others actually when i ment about the forum slowing down guess i should have been more specific what i ment was in the hal general section and not in the conversations graphics area as it is going full steam in that area even i have made some new heads and angela's respnses from time to time . sorry for anybody thinking i ment the whole forum . [:)] eeehhh cool your jets maaannn !!![:D]