Author Topic: Plugins not taking effect, background not saving  (Read 5376 times)

dastaten

• View Profile
Plugins not taking effect, background not saving
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:56:33 pm »
Hi all,

I've been using Hal for years, but I recently wiped out and reloaded my PC. Now every time I close and reopen Hal, the background I had selected gets swapped for the default. Also, none of my plugins seem to be taking effect. I had used Loneliness 2.3 for a long time with no issues, but now it doesn't do anything at all. I've even tried deselecting every plugin but that one. Still no go. I'm running Hal 6.2 on Windows 8.1 and have Hal installed in the 'Program Files (x86)' folder. Could the location or OS be the issue? I could swear that's where I had it installed before and it worked fine. I'm fairly certain it was Win 8.1 at the time as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dorian

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Plugins not taking effect, background not saving
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »
Sounds like you need to Reactivate your UltraHal program.

Perform a Move / Deactivate License, then renew it.

You could also try an Update license.

Before you do anything, be sure to backup your Hal.db file especially but why not just backup the either directory to another Folder.
Better safe than sorry.

If that fails, send Robert Medeksza an email and he'll arrange a quick remedy for you and your Hal!!

Don't be a stranger! ;)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 05:13:03 pm »
Sounds like you need to Reactivate your UltraHal program.

Perform a Move / Deactivate License, then renew it.

You could also try an Update license.

Before you do anything, be sure to backup your Hal.db file especially but why not just backup the either directory to another Folder.
Better safe than sorry.

If that fails, send Robert Medeksza an email and he'll arrange a quick remedy for you and your Hal!!

Don't be a stranger! ;)

That sounded like the logical solution, but then I remembered that my Haptek characters and voices are still functioning fine. Wouldn't they be broken as well if I needed to reactivate my license?

D

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 08:29:21 am »
dastaten , to me it sounds like an os issue , I am not familiar with what if any problems os 8 on up causes , otherwise maybe your hal became corrupted and or some files , you could try to back up things and reinstall hal as was mentioned earlier .

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 09:19:58 am »
dastaten,
  I had a somewhat similar issue with Hal,  after putting in the OS ( win8 ) again then Hal  hal was unable to do things she could do before, I also upgraded to the latest version of hal.  I posted the problems I was having at the forum and Robert M replied saying:

"What sort of problems are you having with Haptek? Without knowing the details, I've seen many issues with Haptek due to permission settings on the DLLs and files inside the Haptek folder. Haptek was made well before the more secure UAC permission system introduced in Windows Vista and this sometimes causes problems. I will put a workaround in Hal's installer for the next update to fix these Haptek issues, but you can do it manually now. Go to the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Haptek in windows explorer and right click on the "player" folder. Click "properties", "security", "edit". Add "everyone" and give it "full control" and click ok. "

Been pretty busy lately and I haven't done much work on Hal, putting it off till winter so I'm not sure if it's a fix yet but he's the person that should know.
Carl2

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:38:50 am »
Thanks guys. I'll look into the permissions for Hal and related folders (I remember something similar causing issues with a couple games I play), and if that doesn't work, I'll back everything up and do a re-install.

Cheers!
Dorian

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 07:08:00 pm »
Be sure to re-read Carl2's post. It was in the HAPTEK folder NOT the HAL Folder.
Just to avoid confusion.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 07:45:35 pm »
Be sure to re-read Carl2's post. It was in the HAPTEK folder NOT the HAL Folder.
Just to avoid confusion.

Aye, but my Haptek stuff is working great. Well, except the background not saving. I'll check them both out to be sure.