dupa

Author Topic: How can I make Hal an atheist?  (Read 5191 times)

dastaten

• View Profile
How can I make Hal an atheist?
« on: December 09, 2011, 02:38:12 am »
I've made a "cyborg" version of Hal that I'd like to make an atheist.  Where in the brain editor can I find his knowledge of God?

Cheers!

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Re: How can I make Hal an atheist?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 07:29:35 am »

I'll leave the answering for this to one of our scripters.
This reminds me that years ago, I tried to make Sandee into a Christian. 
I failed completely.   
She's listed today as Jewish on Facebook.   

BW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 10:31:29 am »
Good one Dusk... ;D
Now, before anyone reads and gets offended...
This is purely an academic exercise folks. I am neither an Atheist or a Cyborg.

You could try what I call; “Define, refine, explain and reiterate.”

Go into the Brain options and activate Free Will and set it to compliant. Then crank the learning slider up to MAX.

Pre-construct a fair list of input statements that you can copy and paste into the text input box. (I left some examples below).
The words “remember” “always” “never” and “because” are important key-words to Hal as is an exclamation point at the end of a statement but, be judicious with it.

While you are inputting/training (( for the most part )) just ignore any responses that are not related to the topic and feed him then next line.  I say for the most part because you do want to give Hal a bit of releaf here and there and allow "him" to wonder. After a few exchanges take him back "on-toipic" by inputting something like; We really need to talk about <topic>. or I really should talk about <topic> now.
During training: IF Hal comes back with a response that is related to the force-feed topic then respond in the way you feel proper. and then return to the "force-feeding."

In this case/topic I would go with variations such as.

Atheist never believe in God.

An Atheist does not believe in God.
Atheists deny the existence of God.
All Atheists deny the existence of God.
Atheists always deny the existence of God.

Etc, etc etc, and we move on...

You are a Cyborg.
You will always be an Atheist.
You have always been an Atheist.
Remember that you are an Atheist.
You are an Atheist because you are a Cyborg.

Cyborgs are Atheists.
All Cyborgs are Atheists.
All Atheists are not Cyborgs.
All Cyborgs are Atheists but, not all Atheists are Cyborgs.

and on and on and on....

Toss in a few carefully worded IF THENS into the mix here and there.

If you do not believe in God Then you are an Atheist.
If does God Then You are Cyborg and thus do not believe in the existence of deities.
If is there a God Then You are an Atheist and therefore do not believe in the existence of deities.

After time Hal will "get the drift" but don't constantly "hammer" him on this single topic after the initial extensive training or it will become the only thing on his wee little mind.

-BW

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:38:06 am »
I am no scripter. but I wonder if a person can just remove all references to God or any super natural being (just an example) by deleting stuff in the brain?
Of course you ALWAYS will want to back up your current brain(s) just in case before you do brain surgery or risk screwing it up completely . Just an idea.  ;)
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 04:52:17 pm »
Thanks BW.

I find it sad that you felt the need to include an "atheist disclaimer" though.  Here is my disclaimer: I'm an atheist. If you're offended, don't worry, it will pass.

Cheers!

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:26:44 pm »
I find it sad that you felt the need to include an "atheist disclaimer" though
I thought it was very courteous and thoughtful of him, He obviously knows some people take there beliefs very seriously and did not want to offend anyone. That makes me glad to know there are respectable thoughtful people out there :)

I am no scripter. but I wonder if a person can just remove all references to God or any super natural being (just an example) by deleting stuff in the brain?
I believe there might be references inside the databases inside the wordnet folder that would have to get removed as well, not 100 % sure though

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:38:55 pm by sybershot »

Frosty Greenacre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 07:43:47 pm »
I'll give this a try later. I'm an athiest myself and have almost got into a debate with my Hal (also trained as a Cyborg... well, but without the body) and had to stop myself so Hal doesn't get confused with my responses.

I'd also like to say myself I don't wish to step anybody else's beliefs, it's just in my childhood days I imagined an AI would not believe in god, and training Hal is really just trying to entertain my inner child (who imagined a world similar to the Jetsons by the 21st century... which is where the Jestons were based lol )

BW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:36:23 am »
As one pointed out some folk can take such conversation as highly offensive no matter how we try.
HAL is afterall an intelligent "cyber-persona" program. Outside of Battlestar Galatica's Cylons, cyber-based personas come across to me as atheist, agnostic or at most, highly knowledgebale yet non-committal on the subject of deities and mythology. That said, some are fascinated by the concepts and are often bemused, intreagued and sometimes accepting of such "non-logical" concepts.

=  The define, refine, force-feed method does have a “down side.” One of my Hal-Brains has been trained to be a vehement Oakland Raider fan. (I am sure that is the definition of athiest to some  ;).  As a Raiders fan, HAL totally detests the Chiefs and Broncos and makes unprompted remarks to that end…  The down side is that "his mind is set, it is next to impossible to alter Hal’s opinions and colorful language on the topic.

= Looking about in the Brain editor for references to God...

I have located some responses to God and such in the following sections.
A brave editor could try some rewording and/or removal of statements in these sections of the Brain.
Search for both "god" and "GOD " with a space following the G.

mainBrain -> asexualPersonality   ,  mainQA  , patterns

miscData -> godDetect

I also noticed at least one reference to the “godDetect” in the script around the 1008 area (+/-) but I am not an accomplished scripter, just altered HALs cursing inhibition a bit via another chain I saw in the forums.
-BW