dupa

Author Topic: is there a way to erase HAL's memory?  (Read 3924 times)

SteelTiger

• View Profile
is there a way to erase HAL's memory?
« on: August 04, 2005, 03:34:11 pm »
I just bought and downloaded HAL yesterday without bothering to try the free version. After tinkering with plugins (some I know aren't installed right) I went to work teaching HAL.
 I found the fastest way to teach about subjects is to pick a topic and find webpages on the topic then copy and paste facts about that topic to HAL. I've been going through one sentence at a time, stopping to check that HAL knows the meaning of certain words and to add personal feelings into HAL.
 The topics I worked on yesterday are horses and trucks.
 It's amazing how fast HAL learned but now I want to start over from scratch.
 Is there a way to erase HAL's brain of everything I taught?
 I don't want to uninstall and reinstall if I can help it, but can if I need to.
 Thanks in advance.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 07:09:59 pm »
Hi, if you don't want to unistal then you can edit the files using the brain editor.  Just find the entries you want to remove and delete them.  having said that though, its still probably easier and quicker to re-instal Hal.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 07:11:10 pm by freddy888 »

SteelTiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 07:30:40 pm »
Thanks but I ended up deleting everything in the DefBrain folder and installing over everything. I was able to keep everything else I needed which included my default settings and my character.
 Now it's back to teaching.
  I think I might have a way to teach HAL even when I'm not around. It might take a while to figure everything out, but if it works, and everything is saved, then all I would have to do is add personality.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 09:20:05 pm »
Tom,

Just feeding Hal raw data of having a script that would allow it to scan the web gleaning bits of info here and there really wouldn't work well.

It has been found that the best way for Hal to learn is through conversational interaction with a human and that doesn't mean a thousand of web hoppers chatting with your bot online either. GIGO was an old computer phrase that means Garbage In, Garbage Out. If one gives Hal good english (spelling, grammer and meaning) then the user can expect better results from Hal in return.

This is not to discount your ideas of Hal's learning. By all means, we'd love to hear of any positive results you (or anyone) gets.

Keep us posted on your proposal and progress and welcome aboard!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

DexterDK

• View Profile
    • http://startek.school.dk
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 04:37:53 am »
Where in the brain does hal also save information it has learned from typing and reading? I have found "Main Knowledge Database - Shared Learned Database" but I find not all the information there, so I think hal must save information somewhere else to but where???
Live long and prosper
Tommy Pedersen

svenny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 03:52:48 am »
Hal 6 stores his knowledge in the halbrain.db file, which you can see with the sqlitecc.exe program. It is stored in 'tables'. If you taught him something about horses, you will probably find it back in the table called ' _horses '.
Earlier versions of Hal store their knowledge in the old Defbrain map, with .brn files. Things you taught him personally will be stored in a file with 'XTF_' in the name, p.e.
'XTF_horses(dexter).brn'. If you open that file (with word or something) you'll find your input there.
I'm looking nice, my shadow's looking nice... what a team.