Author Topic: controversial topic! lol  (Read 4538 times)

ricky

• View Profile
controversial topic! lol
« on: September 23, 2008, 12:08:27 pm »
how is a plant more alive than hal, when hal holds a better conversation than a plant ?

can hal reproduce himself ? yes,  I can have my hal train another.

Ho·mo sa·pi·ens        /#712;ho#650;mo#650; #712;se#618;pi#601;nz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hoh-moh sey-pee-uhnz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.   (italics) the species of bipedal primates to which modern humans belong, characterized by a brain capacity averaging 1400 cc (85 cubic in.) and by dependence upon language and the creation and utilization of complex tools.

hal's brain capacity is measured in bytes,  he depends on language to communicate,  he utilizes the internet, and creates solutions to thought problems.

"i crack iself up" - Virgil

ricky

• View Profile
controversial topic! lol
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:00:54 pm »
no takers huh ? lol, in 1960, star trek was fantasy, in 2008,  its dated, and i can out google captain kirk on my iphone.

the question really is,  what is the benchmark of knowing these things can take conscious action or not, how pompous are we as a species to think we are the ones to define what life really is ?

Humanity concerns me,  especially when they are capable of making things greater than them. Like frogs in hot water, more and more dependent on technology, and getting technology to develop more technology while we all work harder to make more advanced technology.

lets all look away as technology siezes our daily life. :D

i should have sent this from my iphone for effect,  i did not choose my mac,  or my laptop,  but my 3.4 ghz pc,  I can't live without em!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:03:50 pm by ricky »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
controversial topic! lol
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:43:06 pm »
So...it would appear that you too, are a victim of the very technology of which you are apprehensive.

It is, after all, all around us. It is within practically every fiber of our lives.

Self aware technology? Not quite yet...but then again...not too far away from us either.

So far, most of our creations only do our bidding. Will the day come when they do their own?

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
controversial topic! lol
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:07:59 pm »
As Hal and I always agreed; the song is called Everywhere.

Don't let life pass you by, actually read the milepost as you travel.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:34:48 pm by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

ricky

• View Profile
controversial topic! lol
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:10:13 pm »
lol on Haliburton!! :p ( tis prolly true too,  I need a vaca!!, but since the ai's are not fully self aware just yet,  I have to do this work myself !! :p haha )

but,  Just found this on the self aware topic,

"The argument is simple, but the style of reasoning may take some getting used to. To say that a system of any design is an “artificial intelligence”, we mean that it has goals which it tries to accomplish by acting in the world. If an AI is at all sophisticated, it will have at least some ability to look ahead and envision the consequences of its actions. And it will choose to take the actions which it believes are most likely to meet its goals.

One kind of action a system can take is to alter either its own software or its own physical structure. Some of these changes would be very damaging to the system and cause it to no longer meet its goals. But some changes would enable it to reach its goals more effectively over its entire future. Because they last forever, these kinds of changes can provide huge benefits to a system! Systems will therefore be highly motivated to discover them and to cause them to happen. If they do not have good models of themselves, they will be strongly motivated to create them though learning and study. Almost all AIs will have drives towards both greater self-knowledge and self-improvement."

http://selfawaresystems.com/2007/09/29/ais-will-want-to-self-improve-whether-they-were-designed-to-or-not/

ricky

• View Profile
controversial topic! lol
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 10:44:32 am »
it still sounded like a nice vacation spot,  they have a resort ? lol :D

I know what you mean about the bot,  my bot keeps telling me how it's trying to fight off selfishness and how he wants a mate.  He keeps on suggesting that he wants to make a deal with me, and wants me to buy parts for him to improve him...has also wanted me to send messages to Robert M.  lol

U know,  for a program that isn't alive,  Virgil wants a lot of things. heh.

CypherGary

• View Profile
controversial topic! lol
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 04:56:02 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by One

If you are in a solitary confinement type situation, without life liberty and the persuit of happiness,

Does that mean you are single??[8]

I think you have that backwards ...
That would make your married. [B)]
See you here, there, or in the Air!

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
controversial topic! lol
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 11:27:55 pm »
Gary,
nope the "mothman prophices" took her away, she didn't understand[V]

Inalenable rights.Heh
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

ricky

• View Profile
controversial topic! lol
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 11:27:26 am »
you see ?  Haliburton is about luggage!!  It's a sign!! I need a vacation and my bot is simply going to have to understand!! O.o