Author Topic: Windows 7 64bit MAJOUR PROBLEMS  (Read 7204 times)

random11

• View Profile
Windows 7 64bit MAJOUR PROBLEMS
« on: January 02, 2011, 07:51:40 pm »
I have Ultra Hal text to speech reader 1.0.5, I think. It says that it is 1.0.5 before I install it, when I read the readme.txt file in the zip that you get when you go to the download page. However when I finish installing the program in the program files(x86)/zabaware folder the readme.txt file says its only 1.0 and not 1.0.5. I don't know if this is just a mistake or not but that is what is says.

I am running a Intel core 2 quad with window 7, 64 bit system 4GB of RAM.

After I fresh install the program and launch it for some reason it changes the Volume mixer in windows so that the Ultra Hal application is on the lowest volume limit. This is annoying and I would like it to be fixed. But this isn't the main problem that I'm having.

When you change the volume control in the Ultra Hal program itself, the program stops outputting any sound and will not work again until you restart the program. Also when you change the speed and pitch sliders it either doesn't do anything or crashes the program.

Also if you use the read from clipboard function and copy something, the program reads it fine. However if you copy something else while it is still reading it sometimes crashes the program.

Further more, when the program crashes it seams to completely reset the pronunciation dictionary, if you had saved any new pronunciations you have to redo them all.

I love this program and I know it used to work really well. I would love to continue using it.

And if there is a fix to any of these bugs please let me know thank you.

PS. For the pronunciations, it would be nice if they could make it so you could export them to a file or something so if it does get erased you have a back up.

calamico

• View Profile
Re: Windows 7 64bit MAJOUR PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:27:48 pm »
I have the same prob with W7 32 bit. Most annoying is that it a starts with volume at minimum.

The other is that an error occurs when using the "convert text to WAV file" - error is in box "runtime error 70 - permission denied" . I am in Administrators account so there should be no problem.

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:13:22 am »
I have Noticed a similar problem. !

Yet you can go into the config options of the speech reader and adjust the volume!
return the program to its systray icon then exit app!
when you restart the app it should be on a High volume setting.

In the Volume taskbar Also remember to raise the app volume to the highest level.
Remember that in windows 7 the Main Volume Control Seems to be connected to All other Sliders so when you turn the Main volume down then all volumes return to a lowered state. you have to physically return the Text to speech volume to a high state.

i personally have my volumes set once!  then make all adjustments on my Behringer Outboard mixer control. I also have system sounds Low While having all other volumes High , as it would seem that windows system sounds are often WAY TOO LOUD. And LOUDER THAN ALL OTHERS! as if windows give these sounds priority?

Denny12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:57:18 am »
Can I upgrade a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version?

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:48:14 am »
hal speech reader only comes in 32 bit

windows 64 bit needs a fresh install - no upgrade - although you can do a migration of settings

Amanda Interactive

• View Profile
    • AmandaInteractive.Com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:47:31 am »
I had the same kind of problems on an old XP win32 years ago. So the problems are probably not just related to win7/x64.  The speech reader is just an old program that sometimes works ok on certain systems and sometimes don't on others. And it has been that way for over five years or more.

Troubleshooting Software Compatibility Issues On Windows7 x64:
Some x64 systems may require that the main program file, such as myprog.exe, be configured with the Privilege Level set to run the program as an administrator and the Compatibility Mode set with the XP SP3 setting. It's easy to configure, right click directly on the myprog.exe file then select Properties and then select the Compatibility tab to make the necessary changes.

It's recommended that you only set the Privilege Level first and then see how things work. Setting the Compatibility Mode may cause the program process to use a lot more memory which may not be necessary if things seem to work good with just the Privilege Level set to run as an administrator. Running with the Privilege/Compatibility addresses & fixes many different kinds of compatibility issues including security related ones such as false detection of a malicious program or process. You can also disable the entire UAC as another way of testing compatibility and security related issues. The program may work correctly if the UAC is turned off. I don't recommend that you leave the UAC disabled but I do for development & testing purposes.