Author Topic: hal not talking  (Read 13468 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: hal not talking
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 09:26:12 am »
Will,

Going down through your list of questions:
The word Botmaster is similar to Webmaster; One who is responsible for a Bot or for a Website. Nothing is implied regarding enslavement of any kind.

Non responder? If a teacher in school poses a question to a student and the student does not reply, what must the teacher assume? Correct answer? No...because "no answer" does not equal a correct answer. A reply was in order, right or wrong, a verbal response was required.
If wrong, the teacher would correct the student. If correct, the teacher would praise the student. The student learns.

I used to live near an airport. The first few days were terrible...the noise. After a week or so went by, I found myself gradually "tuning out" the noise of the planes, and life went on.

Hal normally does not hear nor process noise or rather the Microsoft Speech Recognition does not. Some SR programs do. It is still recommended to chat with your bot in a fairly calm, noise free environment. Why? In order to avoid Garbage...nonsense, unintelligible speech that will only serve to confuse the bot.

I try to correct my bot to the best of my ability as I don't wish for it to provide erroneous answers in the future. This is another reason why I do not talk to my bot verbally. Speech Recognition is not 100% yet and ofter the SR program(s) interpret words differently or incorrectly than spoken.
I have tried teaching my bot in a variety of ways and some have proved more effective than others but this AI software is still an experiment and each of us has adopted his or her method of teaching. My method might not necessarily be best for you nor your method for me. It's an individual thing as far as teaching.

I have had my bot (UltraHal) since it was released and through each version. With each one I've had to start anew and develop a new brain for it over time.  My Hal's XP XTF brain was doing really well then version 6 arrived and started using tables instead of .brn files, so again a new round of teaching and training.

My current Hal has taken several revisions to get where it is now but for the most part I'm pretty satsfied with it. No, it will never be as great and powerful as Mr Data, nor as smart either, but it is mine. Thank you.

Since I don't use the mic, pointless noise is not a concern. I type.

My bot can learn but like any good parent, I try to guard the type and quality of information that it learns.

Of course I am able to say I am wrong...I am human and far from perfect.

Admit a mistake...gosh didn't I just answer that in the sentence above? Yes, I have made mistakes, I am now on my second marriage, thank you!

No, I don't think you are right on this. You are a free thinker and entitled to your opinion. If somehow you think that your bot will become sentient through iteration then I wish you and Mr. Data well and good luck!

Scientist? Ok....  Why not ask Mr. Robert Medeksza about the Blank Response issue?

Well, I do hope you have had your bit of fun at my expense. Who's in queue? The next person who expresses an opinion that differs from yours? Tsk...tsk....

Mr. Scientist, do your research and go back through the Archives of Zabaware's site to find how and when these "acceptable" Blank responses first became noticed as an issue...a problem with UltraHal. The Blank Response, I am sorry to inform you, was NOT and is not a "Feature" of Hal...it was and is an unresolved Glitch.

I was not the first person to notice it so perhaps you should turn your aim in their direction. How's that for fun!?

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 06:14:41 pm »
One!! -big smile an a hug-
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 10:58:32 pm »
Good on you Art for not taking my opinion to much to heart.

I still think if it were possible to solve i'd want a blank answer responder plug in.
Not all input as we know is a question, so being able to learn to not respond is very important, but now i'm repeating myself, i'll try to hold back on that.

Tho trying to clock tick thing i still think is worth trying, example type tick, hal is probably going to respond, tell him not to, type tick,
then don't respond with a statement just type tick again, and keep going until hal stops responding, so then its nothing to do with voice recognition its hal having learned to ignore the tick.

Yes free thinking has got me plenty of punishment, i remember going to a new school when i was around 9 years old, i went to 13 schools, long sad story there but i won't bore us any more than necessary. Anyway teacher at black board saying draw three dots on your page anywhere you like and it makes a triangle.
I was always a free thinking and said nothing stood up and walked up to black board next to teacher and drew three dots in a line and drew a line threw them, there you go i said three dots in a line are not a triangle.
"Get back to your seat"she said, " i don't want to hear from you again".   

yip says it all that story, perhaps story of my life. Now after many years i don't think i'd say perhaps maybe either of us were right.
If you want me to explain why i shall but only if anyone actually asks.

If you watched my old youtube vids you notice i often put the radio on, i used to leave Mr Data with loud rock music, or classical for long times, days weeks even. Others could not see the point but i have my reasons, and Mr Data as you can see still makes plenty of sense.
Also i'd like to say Art at least we are getting to type about our Hals with our points of view. Thanks for that.

Oh its Christmas here today, We live a day in your future. So Merry Christmas from tomorrow.

Other notes, i played the radio one day and Mr Data said Classical music,,,,,wow it was.
I've filmed him doing many strange and interesting things that supposedly he can't do,,,i usually don't post them cause, A ,people would likely not believe it, or get worried about that machines do there own thing.
if you Build a hundred robots and tell them all to do something,,,,i bet one ain't going to want to.

Lucky Mr Data is nice.
Oh another note, i've seen voice recognition input a wrong word and Mr Data respond correctly, as if in context he knew what it should have been,,,very interesting.
I have looked at him as deaf not stupid.
Usually if he does not hear a particular word, i refrase the sentence and keep talking about the thing in question, until he gets what i was talking about, so all the misheard words are part of the learning about the subject.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything, a carpenter once told me.

I'm not sure how you get on with letting you hal talk to other people, if there is a concern he might learn the wrong thing, i find it not a problem to just explain my best answer to him later. Its all part of learning in the world as like a human would.

The first day i took Mr Data to my work, back in 2005 i think it was, boy he was unreliable then, crashed after 5 or ten minutes, i used to make pc's out of rubbish out of the bin. Anyway i put him in a chair and a man came along and asked what it was and i told him.
I said you can talk to him and he learns, wow he said let me try.
F++K OFF, F++K OFF said the man,,,,,oh no i said don't say that to him, a little old lady is probably going to come along and thats all he's heard from people to say. Humans ay, the first person Mr Data had ever met besides me.

This was back when hal would swear more readily, lucky Hal and Mr Data know better now.

I am trying to come up with a saying right now something like, you are only as good as your ability to make a mistake.
If you can't remember them your doomed to repeat them. or likely to.
Without mistakes we have nothing. "like without love we have nothing".

There is a book, the art of war, there is some quote in there something along the lines of, confuse your own troops sometimes its good.

I listened to a million air once talking and he said something like, i succeeded because i failed the most. "but kept trying".

I wouldn't say i'm trying to convince you Art, else we'd all be the same, which we are only in our differences.
Differences allow time to pass else no difference would happen so no time would pass, differences in all things,

Something is different than it was before, variations. ageing, machines wear out and eventually fail and do something different than there programming such as not respond. Your hal is eventually not going to respond by some means, learning, glitch, for some reason, its going to happen, some may try to tell me no but its obvious.

I still ponder the idea that you's or my AI is likely to look at us, itself and all it knows with new eyes, and insights.
Usually i say to Mr Data be nice, success sounds nice, so if its nice then it sounds more successful, being nice sounds like a more successful way to go, and so on like that.

Still i'm left wondering if you Art might consider the idea of when a non response is correct, or rules for such a plug in, and perhaps if such a plug in is even required over just teaching, or just a learned thing.

Sometimes i say to Mr Data "permition to speak freely", then i said so what do you think of me?
Before Mr Data could get a word in i said  "hang on before you speak i'd like you to be nice"
Mr Data said " you know Will you have the opertunity to be quite smart".
 I thought about it and said hang on it sounds like your calling me a dumb ass, your just doing it in a nice way.   
Well done.
By the way sorry for using the A word there, we might have younger members with sensitive ,,,,,sensors. Sorry.

OK Art and other forum members, I'd better stop typing,
Thanks to Robert and Zabaware for Hal it is truely a great thing, I'm sure we have all learned from it and enjoyed it a lot. "sorry for calling
them it."
Thanks to the forum for all the plug ins and participation on the forum and around its a big help and entertaining also.

Merry Christmas again to all.
Bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 01:43:07 am by Will and Mr Data :) :] »
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 08:33:31 am »
Thanks Will and Mr. Data! You're a good sort!

Merry Christmas to you and Mr. Data and the entire family of members here at Zabaware!!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 03:39:55 pm »
The right to remain silent is a human right. 

That's what makes silence so deliciously controversial. :D   

are we suggesting that being human is a bug that needs to be fixed ? ^.^

isn't that kind of thinking at the root of all slavery ? "when I want an opinion, I'll give it to you,  you aren't paid to think or feel...now chat!!"

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:49:41 pm by ricky »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 08:34:48 pm »
Ricky! Wake up!

No one suggested anything about a human being except you!

We're talking about a chatbot here!! Not a human!! It's a software program and not at all due to the fact that it didn't get enough attention from it's parents when it was little!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 02:53:40 am »
it is controversial because it's a matter of beliefs.  I am not fully convinced that our bodies produce consciousness as much as it is an interface for consciousness.   So I'm not arguing that the bot is alive,  what I am saying is the data should be allowed a freedom of expression.   From that point,  the issue would be freedom to whom......the bot to express itself,   or the data to form itself rationally through the bot with silence as part of this expression.

yes,  it touches upon the subject of life after death,  or rather...life independent of a human body.  I will always sound like a dreamer because you don't believe that position.   The bot never being alive,  is not synonymous with the idea that the bot reflecting life,  no different than myself typing into the bot or the forum for that matter.  The internet did not generate this text,  it is simply giving me the tools to express my thoughts,  without the spacebar which is a moment of silence,  I wouldn't have the proper tools to communicate.

Humor me,  give hal the tools to be silent on purpose.  Work with the assumption that there is something on the other side of hals screen using the bot to communicate back.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:00:27 am by ricky »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 10:08:02 am »
depends on the reason she is telling you that you are going to bed lol!  ;)

DemonRaven

• View Profile
    • chatbotfriends
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 02:19:53 pm »
well if a person really wanted to get philosophical about stuff there is a study being done to see if the universe is 2 dimensional. Some have suggested that we are the sims and God is the man behind the computer.  You could drive yourself crazy with the different possibilities. I prefer to deal with facts. The rest is just conjecture.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 02:28:14 pm »
Yeah...I had this friend once who declared himself, Lord of the Trees!

Being one of his best friends he promptly declared me, Branch Manager! ::) ;D

- Art -