Author Topic: Error: Memory cannot be read  (Read 2655 times)

Wootinun Sung-ong

• View Profile
Error: Memory cannot be read
« on: May 08, 2003, 08:27:18 pm »
Hi
Recently, I have experienced with the error: memory cannot be read.
This occur sometime when I edit brain files.
So I assumed that I done something wrong with systax.
But every thing seemed to be correct...i was in doubt.
Today, I've just found what I have done wrong. I have to leave a blank line at the end of QA brain file. I think this is quite important issue for anyone who want to edit brain file. So I posted this message.
Sorry if you already know this thing.
regards
Wootinun

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
Error: Memory cannot be read
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2003, 03:55:03 pm »
Hello,

The critical pattern for the Q&A databases is to have the FIRST and EVERY ODD line thereafter begin with the "@" character and represent the response to a remark, and the SECOND and EVERY EVEN line (designed to begin with a character-space) represent potential key trigger words for the remark above it.  The script routines automatically append these items as pairs as Hal learns.

If the database deviates from this every-other-line pattern, it becomes unreadable, but as you've noticed, it can often be fixed by visually inspecting it.

The blank line you've added at the end might be the EVEN line that was missing from the last pair; the database does NOT require a blank line at the end, but it does require a line conforming to the paired pattern.

Unfortunately the forum software here sometimes changes spacing, but the pattern is very close to this:

@That's a fine kettle of fish, Stanley!
 WHAT SHOULD WE DO NOW OLLIE
@Groceries are a bargain most of the time.
 SUPERMARKET HAVING A SALE
@I like birds and mammals; their babies are usually cute.
 WHAT FAVORITES IN ANIMAL KINGDOM

I am reasonably certain that by adding that blank line, you are merely restoring the pattern of a missing "even-numbered" line.

Have a good day!

Don
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 04:01:51 pm by Don Ferguson »
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274