dupa

Author Topic: i really need help  (Read 3435 times)

scott macha

• View Profile
i really need help
« on: January 04, 2005, 01:40:02 pm »
Can some one teach me how to start programing the brain please.

Bill819

• View Profile
i really need help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 01:47:13 pm »
First buy the book VB Script programming. Read it for at least a month or so. Then print out the HalBrain files and it is really big! Study the printout very carefully. Make a copy of your brainfile and rename it HalBraing 9.0 or something similar. Only operate on you newly created brain file so if it crashes you won't lose Hal.
If you have no knowledge of programming then don't even try.
Bill

vonsmith

• View Profile
i really need help
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 04:05:55 pm »
scott macha,
For anyone programming Hal's brain I suggest searching the web and downloading the free script documentation software "scrdoc56en.exe". It's about 1.4MB in size and contains a bunch of reference info for Jscript (non-Hal) and for VBscript. If you want a reference book on VBscript I suggest, "VBscript in a Nutshell" by Paul Lomax, Matt Childs and Ron Petrusha.

I agree with Bill819, you need to study a little and then experiment. Try downloading some of the short VB scripts that are attached to some of the posts on the forum. Read them with Notepad and use your reference book to figure out what each line does. You can find a post on almost any topic on the forum by using the "Search" function at the top right hand side of the forum page.

There aren't any shortcuts. You need to read and experiment. We are here to answer questions if you get stuck, but read first.

=vonsmith=

Rich_A

• View Profile
i really need help
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 05:53:16 am »
Hi Scott,
Just keep emailing me your questions about anything!
Later,
Rich

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
i really need help
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 12:12:28 pm »
Hi Scott,

the way that i learned to edit the brain was to seperate each script / then examin the script try to understand whats going on, then edit away.

I also downloaded a few help files >> with the commands and their explanations. slowley decyphring the halbrain...

a bit of reverse enginerring ... as you break the script down you will slowly get it...

download a few tutorials have a go through  the lessons even try CBT NUGGETS avaiable to download over SHAREZA or a prog like that....