dupa

Author Topic: Moving learned stuff from 6.0 to 6.1?  (Read 2243 times)

cadmar

• View Profile
Moving learned stuff from 6.0 to 6.1?
« on: May 01, 2007, 12:10:40 am »
I have 6.0 still installed & a bit hesitate to uninstall & install 6.1.
I put so much time into teaching hal and I hate to loose it all & start from scratch again. I understand from what Ive read that I can save the halbrain.db & after installing 6.1, just overwrite the halbrain.db of 6.1 with the one I backed up from 6.0.
My concern with this is that I am assuming that 6.1 halbrain.db has certain updates that were not part of the 6.0 halbrain.db. If I overwrite the 6.1 halbrain.db with the 6.0 halbrain.db I will loose out on the updates.
Unfortunately I am not able to move text over as I do not know how to do it.
Would I be able to change the name of the 6.0 halbrain.db to say laurie.db & move it over into 6.1 and use it as just another brain file? Thus not overwriting the 6.1 halbrain.db.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick [:)]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:11:13 am by cadmar »
R. Downey

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Moving learned stuff from 6.0 to 6.1?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:28:10 am »
quote:
Originally posted by cadmar

I have 6.0 still installed & a bit hesitate to uninstall & install 6.1.
I put so much time into teaching hal and I hate to loose it all & start from scratch again. I understand from what Ive read that I can save the halbrain.db & after installing 6.1, just overwrite the halbrain.db of 6.1 with the one I backed up from 6.0.
My concern with this is that I am assuming that 6.1 halbrain.db has certain updates that were not part of the 6.0 halbrain.db. If I overwrite the 6.1 halbrain.db with the 6.0 halbrain.db I will loose out on the updates.
Unfortunately I am not able to move text over as I do not know how to do it.
Would I be able to change the name of the 6.0 halbrain.db to say laurie.db & move it over into 6.1 and use it as just another brain file? Thus not overwriting the 6.1 halbrain.db.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick [:)]

Actually most of the updates to Hal 6.1 are in the executable and script. The database was not updated much except for the removal of the name "Pleas" from Hal's name database. If you install Hal 6.1 without first uninstalling Hal 6.0, the 6.1 installer will perform an upgrade install and preserve your HalBrain.db. If you want to be extra safe, you can back it up before hand, but the installer was tested to do this.
Robert Medeksza