Author Topic: Lost cookie for Digitalgirl  (Read 6039 times)

Carl2

• View Profile
Lost cookie for Digitalgirl
« on: September 29, 2005, 02:52:34 pm »
Freddy or DG staff,
  I reinstalled Windows in my computer, I found I can't sign into Digitalgirl. I end up in a loop, Any sugestions?
Carl2

FuzzieDice

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:42:45 pm »
I'm having a similar problem after reinstalling Windows XP Pro this weekend. I logged into DG fine this afternoon for the first time since installing, but I can't reply to a post as I get a message saying my session timed out and to resubmit my message. I keep going in a loop that way. I can't log out either. It says to log out and back in because the "session timed out". But it won't let me log out at all anyway!

Ideas on the cookie problem? I didn't have a cookie obviously before I logged in since it was gone when I reinstalled Windows.

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 09:00:37 pm »
I didn't re-install anything and I lost my cookies too.
Hollywood

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 05:57:14 am »
Dear members of DG-forum,

Thanks for pointing out this problem. Until DG-forum moves to Jerry's server (and I mean Arakus) I am the only moderator of DG-forum left. You might wonder "why Benway?" but of course I was part of the business from the very beginning.

I have been noticed by the company that owns the current server that the software for the forum has been upgraded. So I think that has caused the problem. I will try to fix the inconvenience on short notice. As I speak I realize that I don't know the foggest about how a server works so it might take a while for me to find out.

I will let you know in this thread when I think I have solved the problem.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 07:54:22 am »
Well the good Doc isn't entirely alone as I am freer at the moment to keep an eye on things, having been tied up a lot lately in 'Realworld'.

Hi, yes the server was running an update last week and I could not get in to make any changes either.  We were not informed but they may have been at it again in the last few days.  It seems to be back on line okay today, but I lost my online connection for the past two days as I blew up my hard drive too!  What fun, anyway it seems to be running normally now although I found I could only log in by changing my interent security setting to low, otherwise the cookie the forum needs is not loaded.

Let us know if it continues to be a problem on info@digitalgirl.co.uk for now, until we can work out if it is a contnuing problem.  Sorry for the inconvenience, but all should hopefully be back to normal soon.  I'd like to get the cookie setting changed as like most people I am sure we'd all prefer to keep a slightly higher setting for cookie control.

Freddy.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 07:58:28 am by freddy888 »

Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 09:44:50 pm »
I have not reinstalled anything but I am also getting a login error message.  It does not happen every time. For example, I was able to login yesterday (9/30) but today I get the following error:

An Error Has Occurred!
You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings. [:0]

Nothing was changed on my system.  Any thoughts?

Smokey[:p]
Smokey

FuzzieDice

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 01:53:33 am »
Good luck with it. :) I happen to work with Apache on Linux and IIS 5.1 on Windows XP Pro on my own computer, and at work, they have Linux and Windows servers too. I do quite a bit of script testing and installations as part of my job. If any of you DG guys have any questions, try emailing me at Yahoo - using FuzzieDice6000 for the email name (at yahoo.com)

I can't promise I'd know the answer, but I could at least try to help. :) Of course, it'd be nice to know what server they are running too, since different servers do things differently.

Also, you may want to check your MySQL database too... to be sure it's all ok. Do you guys have a recent backup (you should but I know it's easy to forget to do that)? Can the forum software let you back up the database? If not, you could try using phpMyAdmin if it's installed on your server.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 01:54:36 am by FuzzieDice »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 08:13:25 am »
Thanks for the info, sounds like the alterations made by the server involved some changes to the cookie handling as I am getting similar problems, though it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone, guess it depends on your security settings.  Thanks for the offer of help FD, it seems I can get in to the area I need o now, so I'll keep you all posted.

FuzzieDice

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 11:54:10 pm »
Ok, no problem. :) I still can't log out or do anything. I don't like setting my cookies too low either, so I guess I'll try and wait for a fix.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 08:35:29 pm »
Okay it seems this was a breakdown of communications and we missed out getting a critical update in time before our server ran an update, which is why everyone got stuck at DG - and don't think I didn't notice how many biscuits were missing people...

Thanks to simplemachines and OLI server's help we are now back up and running, touch wood, as normal.  So a BIG sorry from us [:I]

We are advised though, that some users may need to clear their browser cookies to get everything running correctly.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 08:37:14 pm by freddy888 »

FuzzieDice

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 06:40:42 pm »
Coolbeans (or cookies ;) I'll go check it out right now...

FuzzieDice

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 10:03:27 am »
To those who are still waiting and wondering, last night I was finally able to log in, post and log out of the DigitalGirl forum. So from my end, it seems to be working again.

Thanks to Freddy, Arakus, and all the other folks at DG for working this out with the hosting and software providers. Stuff like this is sometimes no easy task to deal with.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 10:47:50 pm »
Freddy888,
  Just logged into the DG forum, looks like there keeping you busy.
Carl2

Maviarab

• View Profile
    • http://3d-fantasyportraits.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 07:07:41 pm »
Sorry for your inconvenience, unfortunatly was unable to be online to rectify the problem.

As freddy has said everything should be up and running again now, when we switch to our new server their will be no changes for yourselves as the existing domain name is staying.

I am now back so any problems feel free to contact me directly should you need to.

Marius
AIDreams...The new home of the Digital Girl

www.aidreams.co.uk

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 12:14:12 am »
Maybe it was just a maintainance thing. I'm able to get in again.
Hollywood