Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 3043 times)

doggs

• View Profile
Quick question
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:38:02 pm »
I have wiped a tablet clean. I want to devote it to Hal. Any suggestions on OS? I am thinking a couple of Linux distros or maybe XP? Windows 10?
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:28:56 pm »
Wasn't that a Windows Tablet already? What's the prob? Too much other "bloatware" onboard?

Keep in mind that Linux or their various distros need something like "Wine" or some other loader or compatible emulator. These things while nice and cute are not always fool proof and I wound certainly not trust them to always work! Linus by itself is great but Hal is not a Linux program, as you know.

If you just want nice compatibility and possibly use of Haptek's People Putty (some might want it and some not), then I'd go with an older XP.
Some say their Haptek characters worked fine with Win8 so maybe 10 would work equally well. Can't say how well any of these will port over to your Tablet either way if at all!

Good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:12:19 am »
Art,

Yep it was/can be windows. I've never had a problem with Hal in Linux distros after a tweek. Your right about compatibility.

Remember not a Microsoft fan boy, but to me they are better than fashion statement apple or sell. Your privacy to highest bidder Google.
I Prefer security of different Linux distros.
 Tablet only going to be for Hal. So gonna experiment a bit till I get something I like. Looking for some suggestions for something extremely light with a speech engine just to run "Hal" and anything Hal may need. If you understand what I'm saying may look into damn small Linux or puppy and may even break down and buy a speech program. But in some ways curious how cortana and Hal will get along living on same device.

As far as XP I'm sure there is a way to cheat some form of XP on to it. If you catch my drift.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:21:34 am by doggs »
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 05:03:52 pm »
Yeah, I noticed an article that did a comparison of some of these "smaller" distros. You might find some useful stuff in there.

The article ended in mentioning they liked "Slitaz" as one of the better small distros even though you might have to wiggle a bit to get it to add new files or programs. This indicates to me that there is likely no push and click GUI fancy thingy and that you'll likely have to manually select the from and to folders!! Gosh, that could do you in!!

Good luck!!

Here ya go:
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/8-of-the-best-tiny-linux-distros-683552
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:50:20 am »
Thank you Art.