Author Topic: you tube does it again!  (Read 4459 times)

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
you tube does it again!
« on: September 28, 2008, 01:18:55 pm »
"Video Disabled

A copyright owner has claimed it owns some or all of the audio content in your video Child of the moon. The audio content identified in your video is Child Of The Moon (rmk) by The Rolling Stones. We regret to inform you that your video has been blocked from playback due to a music rights issue.

"

Well, it's BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

http://en.sevenload.com/videos/5Bx3AzE-Child-Of-The-Moon
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

tedathome

• View Profile
you tube does it again!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 03:12:06 pm »
Cool, I loved it. You tube will loose a lot of bussiness I predict, if they have to keep doing that to everyone.[8D][8D][8D]
ted

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
you tube does it again!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 09:06:38 pm »
nice video my friend

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
you tube does it again!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:27:04 am »
Just an FYI:

The law allows you to make copies of -small portions- of the protected work for specified public-interest uses. These are listed as: criticism or commentary (including parody), news reporting, research, or teaching. The court looks at such things as these when determining whether an alleged violation falls under the fair use clauses:

* purpose and character of the use (non-commercial and educational have a better chance of being considered fair use)
    * nature of the work itself (works available for purchase by the public are given less protection under this clause than those which are unpublished or not available for public purchase)
    * amount of the work used in the alleged violation (was an entire movement used or just the major theme?)
    * what effect the alleged violation has on the potential market for the original (the copyright owner must demonstrate that his income will be diminished because of the non- authorized use of his original).

Fair use does allow copying for educational purposes if the following conditions are met:

* for non-consumable classroom work (not exams or worksheets)
    * a maximum of one copy per student
    * excerpts which do not form a performable section (not an entire movement, for example)
    * not more than 10% of the original.

If you photocopied one page of a 15-page Eugenie Rocherolle piece - - one for each student in your piano pedagogy class to study in class as an example of music for intermediate-level pupils - - you'd probably be ok because: the students are not taking the paper with them. You are keeping them for the next class, whether it's this semester or next academic year). What you cannot do is copy a page and use it as a worksheet for your theory students to analyze; that makes the photocpy a "consumable."

And you can't copy the entire piece and distribute it to your private piano students for them to learn to play.

Photocopying a page or two of a multi-page work to avoid a clumsy page turn is generally considered fair use. This is because you are photocopying only one or two pages; and they are -not- consecutive - - and therefore not performable as a unit.

Note: Ownership of a copyrighted item does not confer upon you the right to make copies of the item. That right still resides with the copyright holder. What you "buy" when you purchase that music is the right to reproduce the sound version of that music on your piano.

Bottom line: Ownership does -not- equal right to copy!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
you tube does it again!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 05:57:11 am »
I understand, and I don't want to use the excuse "everyone else is doing it" but instead I like to think of using songs that some people may not heard of as free advertising for the song.

I had people PM and ask me where they could get those songs, and I pointed them to Amazon.com, Itunes, etc. and made a sale.

If I heard a song I did not have, that was used in a video, I am inclined to buy the song, if I like it.

I know the law is the law, but the law can be a fool.

I'd rather have a high quality version of the song, instead of the reduced quality versions on youtube.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Dollar

• View Profile
you tube does it again!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 04:36:20 pm »
*what is everyone else doing??* something is going on

I do not agree with art.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
you tube does it again!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:02:17 pm »
Dollar,

I didn't write the entire article and I really don't care whether you agree with me or not because it's the law. Tell it to the judge.

Do you think you actually OWN the song on a purchased CD? No...you own the media on which the song is recorded for your enjoyment. You don't own any commercial programs / software. What you purchased is a license to use the software in the manner in which it was prescribed or written. No rights of ownership are transferred.

The laws are pretty clear on copyright infringement issues and while I might not necessarily agree with all of them, they are meant to be followed or face the consequences. Sorry but that's the way it is.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
you tube does it again!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 08:53:15 pm »
Dollar,
Do you disagree with 'Art'
or don't you agree with art.

I have done some reasearch on this type of issue as well.

What are you doing?[?]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

lightspeed

• View Profile
you tube does it again!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 11:51:36 am »
i am pretty sure i read or saw something before on tv saying along the lines of what art said so i belive he is right about it (the article ) . i seem to remember the bit about allowing the class rooms to make so many copies , etc.
 for non beleivers the link to the article is best . for anyone that doesnt beleive after that take a number and wait lol ! [:)]